January 2014 Moms

Prune juice

DD can't poop. Ever. Won't go Into details bc I have prior posts on it. Pedi gave ok to give 2-4oz prune juice daily. He said if I can't find baby kind to mix regular with half water. So would that be 1oz water, 1oz prune? Convo was via email so I hate to pester him. Also, has anyone done prune juice and had success? I feel so sad for DD.

Re: Prune juice

• I'm strictly a lurker, but I'll come out for this :) Yes, one oz water, one oz prune juice. We had success within 24 hours. Good luck!
  • I remember you posting and my LO was going on 5 or 6 days without pooping. I did the qtip with Vaseline trick, worked like a charm. Let us know how the prune juice works!
  • Loading the player...
  • We did prune juice and it worked. Then another pedi in my practice said straight pear juice. We didn't try that. I have had to use a suppository and that worked instantly, but I would prefer something that working by going through her system.
  • Prune juice and pear juice both worked for us. Prune juice gives her major gas and causes a lot of spit ups but works faster and better IMO. There is a concentrated prune juice at CVS that you can mix with formula or BM if you want. That helped decrease the gas and spitting up tremendously for us. 

Also (and this sounds gross), when she starts pooping, I go to change her while she's still pooping because she always squeezes out more when she's on her back and the diaper is off but still underneath her. Sometimes wiping with a baby wipe helps her to go more. 
  • I've used pear and apple juice (half water) succesfully as well.  I haven't used with DD2 yet, but with DD1 I could get apple/pear into her easier then prune.  Poor kid hated prune juice!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image  image

• The Q tip did nothing. Sigh. I will try pj today. Poor baby.

• My daughter had problems pooping. My doctor said to give her 1 oz of prune juice and 1 oz water. It was working but not consistent. I finally changed her formula to Gerber Good Start Gentle and she poops everyday now.
  • Oh boy! We just had this problem last week!! We had to take rectal temps, glycerine suppositories, and prune juice. The pediatrician said a half ounce to one ounce. The GI doctor just said up to four ounces of prune juice. Sam has a gtube though so it might not be as easy to drink that much normally!
  • She barfed within an hour. So sad. And no poop. Womp, womp.

• Wonder if she barfed because it was so much on her system at once? The twins I nanny for started between one and eight tsp of prune juice (regular) in their bottles at a few months old and it works wonders for them. Instead of giving her a bottle of juice and water, could you add just a tsp or 2 of juice to a bottle of pumped breastmilk at a time so it's more gradual? That's what their doctors suggested and it never made them vomit.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• She pooped the next day. Hard to know if related though since she vomited after prune juice. Thinking I will give her a little every other day and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice!

• My dr said 50/50 and we could use water or formula. So we tried it with formula and not to long later ds was able to go... Plus he couldn't seem to get enough of it. He loved the taste
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"