Attachment Parenting
Options

tandem nursing mamas - toddler diarrhea?

I am currently tandem nursing my baby and toddler. My 2 yr old has had diarrhea for the past week. I have been assuming it's a bug, it's been totally unformed and with some mucous and 1-8 times a day since last Tuesday night. I've been in contact with his doctor and we're keeping him hydrated, etc. and she's given me guidelines for when to bring him in, but I'm worried that it just isn't going away. Could this possibly be related to or affected by breast milk? He's been mostly happy and playing and has energy, but has said his tummy hurts at times. My baby is almost 3 months but was born 5 weeks early, (which may affect the composition of my milk at this date?). The 2 yr old is nursing once a day, which he has been for the last couple of months, with some soft poop but nothing like this. So I have 2 concerns - that he's been sick for this long and it's seemingly gotten worse again in the last day or 2, and that high-fat content breast milk could be making it worse. I don't want to wean him yet but I guess I am paranoid, I don't want to do anything that could be hurting his tummy. It's possible he's been taking in more milk lately because it so happens I've been nursing him alone more often instead of at the same time as the baby, which tends to cause interruptions. What do you ladies think?
    image  image

Re: tandem nursing mamas - toddler diarrhea?

• Options
    sounds more like a bug (which can take a long time to get over).
    I know we had looser stools when my kids were still nursing but I wouldnt expect it to change so much vs the last 3 months you have been nursing the baby as well.  I would think that the breastmilk is still easier to digest vs other things so I dont think I would stop it because of the bug - being cautious about the other food you are feeding him makes sense though
  • Options
    At 3 months postpartum, it's very unlikely that it's your breastmilk causing the toddler diharrea. Colostrum is known to give toddlers diharrea, but not mature breastmilk.

It's probably a bug or something he is eating that is not agreeing with him. Any new springtime foods that you've added to his diet? Also, if he has spring allergies, that could explain the mucous in his stool.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance ... he's finally better today ... so far! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I did try probiotic powder yesterday, maybe it helped! I was trying yogurt before that.
        image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"