August 2014 Moms

L &d tours and childbirth classes

When should I sign up for these? Are they worth it?
IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: L &d tours and childbirth classes

• I haven't been to mine yet, but the recommended time frame on their website was 3rd tri for the birth basics and breathing and then the last month for breastfeeding and infant cpr.  We'll probably do the tour in 3rd tri as well. DH did daddy boot camp about a month ago and found it very informative.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're doing an infant/child CPR class next week and a hospital tour in mid June.

Call the hospital and ask. At the hospital where I delivered DS they had info on their website as to when they recommend you take classes.

• Loading the player...
  • Our L&D tour will happen either late June or early July. We will also plan to take the required water birth class around the same time. We are on the fence about taking a childbirth class series - we'd love to take the one my doula offers but I just don't know if we can dish out the extra money. At the very least we will take one thru the hospital since it's 1 day and not as expensive.

• We did a hospital tour last week (22 weeks) - I wanted to do it early because I was still trying to decide where I want to deliver. It was really informative (even as a STM) and I was very impressed with the hospital so that's what we're going with now.

Anyway, the nurse doing the tour gave an overview of classes and said we should start registering for them now...they recommend actually taking the classes between 28 - 34 weeks I think she said. We had already signed up for an Infant CPR one that we're doing May 10 (it's the only one that worked for us schedule wise so doing it a little early). I'm also thinking of doing a breastfeeding class since to refresh my memory, but I'm hoping to do that in late July.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • I have to sign SO and I up for the L & D tour in between week 25 and 30 (according to hospital).

And I signed up for prenatal classes 2 months ago which SO and I will begin May 8th.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • I'm doing my hospital tour the first week in June. I'll be 30 weeks then, I believe. Hoping to finish my birthing class (which I'm signing up for soon) by the time I'm 32 weeks. Seen too many early babies to push it much closer to my EDD than that. 
  • Alright...i signed up for the tour next sat. I wanted to get it done since I'm high risk. It may not be needed this early but might as well mark it off the list and make myself feel a little more comfortable.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • We signed up for a tour that happens the first week of June. They really do fill up fast in our area. I haven't paid for the childbirth class yet although we did pick the day we're going to go do it (prefer to get it all done in one day rather than spread it out.) I'm also going to book the breastfeeding and infant CPR/safety classes soon. I think they are completely worth it even though I haven't taken one yet. Just basing that off the feedback from my friends and sisters in law!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• I already signed up for mine just because the classes fill up quickly. We're taking an all-day course the first week in June (I'll be 31.5 weeks at that point). I still need to call my hospital for a L&D tour, but I'll worry about that a bit later.

BFP#1 6/27/13  EDD 3/5/14  MC 7/16/13
    BFP#2 11/25/13  EDD 8/4/14

It's a BOY!

Baby Blog

BabyFetus Ticker

• We toured the hospital sometime around 36 weeks last time.

@weeklyplanner, the hospital tour helps you know what to expect at your particular hospital, where to show up, what they provide (yoga balls, bathtubs, private rooms or shared, food for you/your H etc.) so there are no surprises in that respect on the day you need to go in
  • shevaCC said:
    We toured the hospital sometime around 36 weeks last time.

@weeklyplanner, the hospital tour helps you know what to expect at your particular hospital, where to show up, what they provide (yoga balls, bathtubs, private rooms or shared, food for you/your H etc.) so there are no surprises in that respect on the day you need to go in
    That's what I was going to reply as well. it was more informative than I thought it would be. My H also liked it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    BFP#1 10/11/11 - DD born 6/6/12;   
    BFP#2  7/6/13 - Due 3/8/13, MMC at 12w  D&C on 8/31/13;    
    BFP #3  11/26/13 - Due 8/6/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm delivering at a different hospital this time, plus I plan to use the birth center inside the hospital.  I have to do an orientation class/tour.  They told me to call to schedule between 28-30 weeks, so I'll be calling in a few weeks.

I also have to have a birth plan and go over it with them at 36 weeks.  I've never had a birth plan before...I think I'll keep mine simple!

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• My doctor recommended doing that tour at any time and then taking the classes in my 3rd tri.  We decided to do everything the hospital offers except the New Dads class because that was not a couple class and my H refuses to go alone, LOL.

We're doing the tour next week and then in July we're taking New Baby Care, Breastfeeding Basics, Preparation for Childbirth and Infant Safety/CPR.  I kinda wish we could've spread them out a bit but by the time the hospital listed the June/July schedule, all of the May classes were full and we realized we had misc schedule conflicts with all of the June classes.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did the class around 26-30 weeks with DD, but it was because of my DH's work schedule. I felt like it was helpful. They have torn down that hospital and built a new facility about 2 years ago. They offer a sibling class that we signed our DD up for. If that doesn't provide us enough of a tour then we'll schedule a separate tour. 
     BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• I am signing up for the tour this week - probably June or July. We are going to do the birthing class online due to DH's schedule. I am also doing a child care class, but if I can't get into the class that starts this week, I am stuck waiting 6 weeks, which makes me nervous!
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • We signed up separately for the tour, the birthing class and breastfeeding class, because we're doing the 1 day classes rather than the shorter, weekly sessions.

We did the tour in early April, and I thought it was very helpful.  Even just knowing which door to come to and what buttons to push....there was a couple coming in, in labor, while we were touring, and they had no idea what to do.  Although there was someone there to help them (since we were standing right there), I like that we will at least know the "plan."  

We saw a labor and delivery room - learned all of the materials that will be there and what they suggest we bring for ourselves.  At our hospital there is also an "overflow" room that they explained to us.  It's where they can put people who are not in active labor or where they can have people labor if for any reason they are full (which really never happens...but if I had just been placed in there without hearing the uses of the room, I might have been concerned).  

We learned about what will happen during delivery (our hospital has a little annex off of each labor and delivery room where they keep all the really medical stuff for baby.  They bring it out when it's time to deliver, and then take it back in the little room and clean it up in there, so you are able to bond with your baby quickly without a ton of people being around.

We learned how long we will stay on the labor and delivery floor, how we will transfer up to the maternity ward, etc.  We got a peek at the NICU, just in case, and we were able to ask any questions we had.

I thought it was very helpful and I'm really glad we did it.  I'm sure that in the throws of labor everything I learned may go out the window (I'm a FTM, so I have no idea what I'm in for), but, I'm glad we had that experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"