October 2014 Moms
Options

Morning Sickness = Healthier Baby?

2»

Re: Morning Sickness = Healthier Baby?

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Oh man OP, I feel your pain. I look at all your worries and laugh now, not out of meanness, but because I remember being that way in my first pregnancy too. I was a mess and DH STILL makes fun of me for some of the random shit I used to freak out about.

I am the exact opposite this time around. I can look back now and realize how much time I wasted worrying over nothing. I want so badly to grab you by the shoulders and say "PLEASE believe me when I say that you don't need to worry so much. It's a waste of your precious time".

It got worse after DS was born and he felt my stress. It's so not worth it. I was afraid so often and it took a toll on me. I'm a worrier by nature but I made the conscious decision to just STOP. It's not easy but it can be done.

@Nicb13 very well put.  I agree with this so much.  I worried my 1st pregnancy when everything was fine.  I worried more when I got GD.  I worried even more when I had IUGR and low fluid.  Then my daughter was born, she seemed perfectly healthy, and later that night was rushed to the NICU an hour away because of a very rare condition that no one knew she had and my own dr had never even heard of.  Yes all that was so, so terrifying, but you know what?  Not one bit of the worrying I did could have done anything to stop that, and there was no way of knowing it would happen.  So what was the point of all that worry?  I really do say this from a place of kindness, but you just have to let go of the worry.  It is never going to truly go away, but it isn't doing anyone one bit of good.

It seems like 90% of the posts on this board today are worried/freaked out moms.  I just want to hug all of you.
  • Options
    KatedannKatedann member
    edited April 2014
    I had horrible morning sickness (and all the other "normal") symptoms with my first pregnancy, which ended in a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks (baby stopped growing at 9 weeks. The symptoms were bad all the way until the D&C. This time, my symptoms were not nearly as bad, including m/s. For weeks, I was convinced something was wrong, but I'm 15 weeks and everything looks good so far!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just an overload of toxins in ur body...aka if u have morning sickness u r toxic.
  • Options
    @NicB13 and @jcsumm0 I needed to hear that. I maybe got a little teary-eyed, but don't tell my coworkers, they think I'm a hardass.

I feel like the internet and this forum has been a great resource for me MOSTLY. But then you read the studies. Then I read something today that said if you don't breastfeed your kid until they are 6 months they are more likely to be developmentally behind, and I freaked out about that this morning because I plan on breastfeeding but what if I can't?

Today's obviously not my day. I'm also fighting with my mother, so there's that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Littledeer84Littledeer84 member
    edited April 2014

Just an overload of toxins in ur body...aka if u have morning sickness u r toxic.

Ok, whatever you say.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SPurp13 said:
    @NicB13 and @jcsumm0 I needed to hear that. I maybe got a little teary-eyed, but don't tell my coworkers, they think I'm a hardass.

I feel like the internet and this forum has been a great resource for me MOSTLY. But then you read the studies. Then I read something today that said if you don't breastfeed your kid until they are 6 months they are more likely to be developmentally behind, and I freaked out about that this morning because I plan on breastfeeding but what if I can't?

Today's obviously not my day. I'm also fighting with my mother, so there's that.

Ok...I'm calling horseshit on this one.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    youngin12 said:
    SPurp13 said:

Really?
    There is a ton of evidence that BM is best for baby -- even some evidence published *by the formula companies*.  There was a graph in a similac thing when I was pregnant with DD showing IQs at age 2, comparing BF to FF to the "new formula" - showing "hey, look guys, our new formula is *almost* as good as breastmilk"...but both formula cohorts were lower than the breastmilk cohort. 
    Yeah, really. There's also studies that show large babies will have diabetes and other health issues. Well, I was 12 lbs when born and FF and I'm perfectly healthy with no developmental disabilities. I just don't believe for a second that if formula lead to developmental disabilities it would even be an option; it would either be breastfeed or your kid starves. I'm sure there are plenty of children out there that were breastfed that have developmental disabilities and other health issues.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    jcsumm0 said:
    No one is saying that formula causes developmental disabilities.  Or that BF guarantees against developmental delays. Having a slightly lower IQ than another person does not mean someone has a developmental disability.  Again, we are looking at huge population studies here.  Higher birth weight babies are *more likely* to develop diabetes.  That does not mean that all babies of higher birth weight will or that all over lower birth weight won't.  Same thing with FF v. BF.  *On average* BF children have *slightly* higher IQs.  Of course there are children in each of those categories with above average IQs and below average IQs. 
    Did this adjust and account for other demographics that have impact on IQ, such as socioeconomic status of the parents, etc.?  Because I think it's likely that moms who breastfeed are those who either 1) have the financial ability to be SAHMs, or 2) have jobs--likely professional jobs--where they are able to take breaks to pump.  Meaning, lower income women are more likely to FF because of the need to work, working jobs where pumping breaks aren't feasible, etc.

jcsumm0 said:
    All this ancedotal evidence from people on this board means nothing.  The study is looking at a statistical probability.  If you have m/s, you are more likely to have a healthy pregnancy (probably due to stronger hormones, IIRC).  That does not mean that all people who don't have m/s do not have healthy pregnancies, and it also does not mean that all people who do have m/s do have healthy pregnancies.

It's out of your control, and not worth worrying about.
    Admittedly I haven't read the study so I can't speak on it with too much specificity, but I do wonder whether the study is counting women who had chemical pregnancies.  Because if so, those pregnancies would have been fairly short-lived and likely too short to register any type of morning sickness.  So, it would make sense that there would be a large number of women who were pregnant who didn't have morning sickness and had a subsequent loss.

That said, for anyone who is freaking out, it could just very well be that you don't experience morning sickness.  I didn't have a single day of m/s with my daughter and while it caused a lot of panic and fear during my pregnancy (pretty much up until I could feel her kick regularly), she was born insanely healthy and is still ridiculously healthy and smart and developing appropriately (she was also mostly FF too, for those who are now worrying about that)!  With this pregnancy, same lack of m/s.  It's apparently just the way I am when pregnant.  Try not to worry because you may be lucky in the same way!

• Options
    youngin12youngin12 member
    edited April 2014
    jcsumm0 said:
    youngin12 said:
    youngin12 said:
    SPurp13 said:

Really?
    There is a ton of evidence that BM is best for baby -- even some evidence published *by the formula companies*.  There was a graph in a similac thing when I was pregnant with DD showing IQs at age 2, comparing BF to FF to the "new formula" - showing "hey, look guys, our new formula is *almost* as good as breastmilk"...but both formula cohorts were lower than the breastmilk cohort. 
    Yeah, really. There's also studies that show large babies will have diabetes and other health issues. Well, I was 12 lbs when born and FF and I'm perfectly healthy with no developmental disabilities. I just don't believe for a second that if formula lead to developmental disabilities it would even be an option; it would either be breastfeed or your kid starves. I'm sure there are plenty of children out there that were breastfed that have developmental disabilities and other health issues.
    No one is saying that formula causes developmental disabilities.  Or that BF guarantees against developmental delays. Having a slightly lower IQ than another person does not mean someone has a developmental disability.  Again, we are looking at huge population studies here.  Higher birth weight babies are *more likely* to develop diabetes.  That does not mean that all babies of higher birth weight will or that all over lower birth weight won't.  Same thing with FF v. BF.  *On average* BF children have *slightly* higher IQs.  Of course there are children in each of those categories with above average IQs and below average IQs. 
    I will admit this particular "statistic" (whatever I have bolded not your post), for some reason, got me a bit worked up. I understand what you're saying regarding the averages, etc. and I also admit that I find statistics a load of crap and never believe them but I *really* hate how it seems that all you (general you) ever hear from TB is how negative FF is or can be. I strongly believe this is why so many women are embarrassed or scared to admit they will FF.

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Please don't start a fucking formula vs. BF debate. PLEASE stop now.

This.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My first daughter I was never sick, and she turned out perfect.  Also that pregnancy had no complications.  This go round, I have been sick non-stop, and everything is still in line with the norm, baby has tested normal, so I don't believe that sickness is purely relational.
  • Options
    I'm calling bs on this one. I had absolutely no ms with DS and he was born absolutely perfect.
  • Options
    It is a fact that those who are not sick have more miscarriages. But that doesn't mean you have to be sick to have a healthy pregnancy. I was sick as a dog and I had preterm labor
  • Options
    I know it's anecdotal but I have never had morning sickness and I have a beautiful healthy 15 month old and so far everything is going well with this pregnancy. I've had losses so I do worry about this but I think I'm just lucky to have easy pregnancies.

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Options
    In my first pregnancy, which was a loss, I felt a little nauseous here or there, but no vomiting, no morning sickness. Just sometimes in the day I would have a wave of nausea and gag a few times. In my current pregnancy (I am 15w5d) I had awful m/s from 7-12 weeks, and still have a fair amount of nausea (good days and bad days). I know each pregnancy is totally different, but in my head I was sort of happy I was so sick this time! This is not scientific hahaha! Then again, my mother (3 kids + 1 m/c between 2nd and 3rd kid) and sister (2 kids) had wonderful amazing non-nauseous pregnancies and had all healthy babies! I was reading my sister's pregnancy journal last night- at 9 weeks she wrote "I am still feeling great" and I was like "wasn't that nice for you!!!!" 
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• Options
    PS. @theresat858, I consistently enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for all of your insights!
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• Options
    No need to be negative. Every time I felt any coming on I get rid of it immediately. I do things naturally. Clearly it worked
  • Options

No need to be negative. Every time I felt any coming on I get rid of it immediately. I do things naturally. Clearly it worked

Are you real life?

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    C_mo said:

I like to swallow my vomit. It's much more natural. I mean, dogs and cats do it right?

Oh, is that what I've been doing wrong?

• Options
    tamibattletamibattle member
    edited April 2014
    @Jewamiprin89‌ what was your technique that helped your ms? I had ms all the way to 16w. Nothing really worked accept sleeping! I tried everything natural and nothing worked! morning sickness is not toxins in the body unless you consider pregnancy hormones toxins which most expecting mothers don't. So natural or not we need you to bottle your so called technique and sale it to the masses! You would be a billionaire and in my next pregnancy I will be your number 1 customer.

DH: 33 ME: 33 married: 4/24/2014 FTM expecting a baby girl

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    C_mo said:
    Well, everyone in here seems to be sharing a shitton of anecdotal evidence so here is mine: 

1. Water is the first thing to make me want to barf my brains out.

2. While I have breastfed both of my kids, I tend to agree with the studies showing that breast milk's benefits over formula have been greatly exaggerated. Back when DS1 made it past 18 months without a cold I totally attributed it to being breastfed (naively I might add). DS2 came out, was sick for the first 6 months of his life, and it dawned on me pretty damn quick that I had been terribly wrong.

3. While we're talking about statistics and what 'should be'. DS1 'should have' had a horrible case of failure to thrive if you look only at his percentiles. He is perfectly fine.

I know that it is much harder when you don't know what to expect, but its important to take studies and statistics with a grain of salt. No any two pregnancies are exactly alike, as with babies. I went completely crazy with stress and guilt throughout my son's first year because he stopped gaining weight at 4 months old. All sorts of doctors took one look at his chart and assumed that he must be horribly sick. We went through testing and more appointments than I can count... At home, I saw a perfectly healthy, thriving boy who was hitting all of his milestones months early, and I still cried at night. Had I not taken the charts and generalizations so seriously, I wouldn't have stressed so much, but I did, even though the proof of my son's health was right in front of me. The worrying doesn't stop, and it sucks, but we need to stop picking apart each and ever detail or we'll drive ourselves crazy.

@C_mo, thank you for this story! My DS has consistently been low on the weight charts since he was 9 months old and his weight and eating habits cause constant stress for DH and I. Your post just made it crystal clear to me that I need to focus on the bigger picture and not just one aspect of his development.

• Options
    jalara48 said:

It is a fact that those who are not sick have more miscarriages. But that doesn't mean you have to be sick to have a healthy pregnancy. I was sick as a dog and I had preterm labor

Prove it.

There are links in past posts. No one pulled this from their ass, though calling it a fact is a bit of a stretch.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Hey, you're the one calling us toxic! 

Wait wait wait... is she claiming she sticks her finger down her throat and makes herself toss her cookies at every wave of nausea!? Because that's a really awesome thing to do while pregnant. Just sayin.. I really hope that's not the case..

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    @MrsSinner402 That's what I was wondering... o.O
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    MaterFamiliasMaterFamilias member
    edited April 2014
    SPurp13, great post!

So many of the anecdotal posts reflect a failure of education in math and science.

PubMed (the link in the original post) is a wonderful resource.  The paper at issue was published in the Obstetrics & Gynecology Journal, which seems to be a decent publication.  Admittedly, the paper is from 14 years ago -- I'm sure there are more recent papers showing similar evidence-based conclusions.
  • Options
    youngin12 said:
    @spurp13- I really wouldn't feel bad about the things you've mentioned. I know that's easier said than done. If it makes you feel any better, I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now and I had a coke this morning. Oh and I've also had my hair done 3 times since I've been pregnant. And then there's the dreaded pedicure a lady at my mom's church pretty much told me I was going to hell for getting while pregnant. All of which my doctor said was fine! Anything in moderation is just fine! If I wouldn't forget to bring my lunch everyday, I would probably bring a sandwich every now and then, too.
    What? No pedicures when pregnant? I just had one 2 weeks ago. Now I have pretty feet, just waiting for this blasted rain to stop!
  • Options
    I think you have to consider what is the studies definition of morning sickness. Is it just feeling nauseous or is it only if you actually vomit? What about if you were dry heaving but nothing came up? Does it matter if you only threw up once the entire pregnancy?

I don't believe it unless I get all the info on a particular study done with statistics and data.

I felt plenty nauseous but only when thinking about food thanks to food aversions. Baby girl is doing great!

• Options
    I think it's just an old wives tale. I remember being so sick during my first pregnancy and my doctor saying jokingly, "Well, that's the sign of a healthy baby."
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"