October 2014 Moms
Options

Morning Sickness = Healthier Baby?

What? I was reading a blog this morning that mentioned that the sicker you are, the less your chance of something going wrong with the pregnancy/baby. I was like "that's horseshit." Then I started googling around.

Do people really think this? Is this a thing? Because I wasn't sick once. I've measured right on track and everything's been fine. I'm not looking to freak out about it when there's no reason for me to, but I have NEVER heard this and I was wondering if it was a well-known thing. Or. Like I said. Horseshit.

"Morning sickness has been reported to have a positive effect on pregnancy outcome and is associated with a decreased risk of miscarriage, preterm birth, low birth weight (LBW), and perinatal death"

Here's a site, not that it looks super official, but it was just one that came up in my searches: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10775746
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Morning Sickness = Healthier Baby?

• Options
    Morning sickness is an overload of toxins in your body. If u r sick u need to drink plenty of water. I'm a practicing natural health professional...whenever I felt any nausea I would do a technique on myself that releases toxins...I immediately felt better every time.
  • Options
    I vomited all the way up to delivery- every single day.  I developed pre-e and had to be induced.  No correlation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is bogus! Pregnant with my now 2 year old son was a breeze! No sickness, pains, anything....and I had a 6 hour labor and pushed for 20 minutes. This time around I am definitely more nauseas and dealing with other issues though too. Don't believe everything you read. I know for myself I need to stop googling stuff! I just get freaked out!
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention....my 2 year old is sooooo healthy and happy...and not to mention adorable :)
  • Options

A friend of mine from high school announce her pregnancy as soon as the bfp.  She posted every day about how sick she was and how she had to go to the doctor to get some meds.  She missed her best friend bridal shower because she was too sick to come but sadly lost her baby around 9 weeks.

So no I am a firm beliver that being sick does not equate to a healthier pregnancy.

• Options
    All 4 of my other pregnancies were morning sickness free. And all were healthy. Last little babe weighed 8 lbs 3 oz, so no low birth weight there! 
    I was reading up on that too. There were sites saying that 25% of pregnant women do not experience MS and have perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies.
  • Options
    raynes said:
    I do remember reading somewhere about a slight correlation (note, not causation) between NVP (nausea and vomiting of pregnancy) and a slightly increased IQ in the child.  Something about an increased exposure to cortisol while in-utero.  

But that doesn't really worry me at all, what with my lack of ms, because my mom also didn't have any ms, and I'm bloody brilliant.  ;)
    I had no MS with my first born and he's top of his class in math, reading, science, history, you name it. He's in band, honors choir, geography and spelling bees and math masters competition. So I don't worry about that silly study either ;)

• Options
    In my experience with DS, I had no morning sickness, no fatigue, and only slight food aversions (didn't want dark, leafy greens).  He was born 3 days before my EDD at 9 lbs 2 oz, 23 in. long, breastfed like a champ right out of the gate, started sleeping through the night at 10 weeks, and didn't get so much as a cold until he was nearly a year old (all while being in daycare from 3 months old), and he has a very advanced vocabulary according to his teachers.  I had perfect blood pressure, great glucose levels, and went bowling a week before my EDD.  I call bullshit!  I've heard this before, and I really think it might be something women tell themselves, so they can feel better about feeling so crappy.  Now, this time around, I've had all day/everyday nausea.  I think it might be karma for feeling so great with DS the first time around; I don't think it has anything to do with this baby being "healthier" than DS. 
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    I vote for complete horseshit. I have felt a little sicky, but never vomited. My dr was never concerned about this and so far we've passed all tests with flying colors.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That's an old wives tale. There is no bearing to it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    raynes said:
    Morning sickness is an overload of toxins in your body. If u r sick u need to drink plenty of water. I'm a practicing natural health professional...whenever I felt any nausea I would do a technique on myself that releases toxins...I immediately felt better every time.
    Riiiiiiiiiiight.
    I don't know about you BUT even just a sip of water when I was feeling queasy would set me over the edge.  If I tried an entire gulp (let alone, glass) I would vomit within seconds.

I had zero m/s with my son and he turned out PERFECTLY!

Last menstral cycle 9/09 Initial diagnosis PCOS (11/09) Provera (x2), P4 injection. Final Diagnosis POF (2/10) 
    Donor ER 8/27/10 -- ET 9/1/10 Beta 9/10/10=BFP! May 6th 2011 - Our sweet little bear was born!
    FET #2 July 3, 2014 - BFP!
    M/C @ 9 weeks

FET #3 November 8, 2013 - BFN
    FET #4 February 12, 2014
    POAS (I cheated) BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's amazing what throwing up....a.k.a. releasing toxins...will do. I normally feel better after I puke, too.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited April 2014

=))
    imageimage
  • Options
    ADH0906ADH0906 member
    edited April 2014
    vrj0522 said:

That's an old wives tale. There is no bearing to it. 

I'm not entirely sure if it's completely an old wives tale...Emily Oster (who I admit to loving more than I should) says in Expecting Better that a study showed that the overall risk of miscarriage in the first trimester was 30% for women without nausea and 8% for those with nausea...but then she never cites the study, which seems odd for her.

One study certainly doesn't make it a hard and fast rule, and who knows if there were errors in the data, but there could be something to it.

ETA: I'm an idiot...she cites those statistics as:
    Chan et al., "Severity and Duration of Nausea and Vomiting Symptoms in Pregnancy and Spontaneous Abortion"

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had some morning sickness with DS and no complications except at the end during labor when we both had fevers and infections. I have horrendous sickness this time around and just went through a scare about baby being high risk for T13. I don't believe this theory is true, one bit. Sorry OP.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options

This is talking about averages. Just because you (general you) had no ms and a healthy pregnancy does not mean there is no correlation between ms and pregnancy loss. The website is from the national institute of health so I wouldn't totally dismiss the study.

This. You still have very high odds of having a healthy pregnancy if you have no morning sickness, despite the increased risk of miscarriage.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Di_126 said:
    raynes said:
    Riiiiiiiiiiight.
    I don't know about you BUT even just a sip of water when I was feeling queasy would set me over the edge.  If I tried an entire gulp (let alone, glass) I would vomit within seconds.

I had zero m/s with my son and he turned out PERFECTLY!
    This.  Completely.  Water definitely would not have worked when I was pregnant with DD!  Especially a glass of it.
    Yep. The last thing I can stomach this pregnancy while sick is a glass of water. Not happening.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options

lrobi13 said:

A friend of mine from high school announce her pregnancy as soon as the bfp.  She posted every day about how sick she was and how she had to go to the doctor to get some meds.  She missed her best friend bridal shower because she was too sick to come but sadly lost her baby around 9 weeks.

So no I am a firm beliver that being sick does not equate to a healthier pregnancy.

I had morning sickness starting at 6 weeks up until my d&c with my first loss. 

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    I had zero morning sickness with my first and she was/is perfectly healthy. 
  • Options
    Hmmm.... I have never heard that...

Only anecdotal evidence, but I was really not sick at all when I was pregnant with B - and I had a completely healthy, non-complicated pregnancy and now a really healthy little boy.   
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Options
    With my first, I had practically no morning sickness, and he was just fine.  The rest of my pregnancies I have had morning sickness - 1 resulted in a loss, and the second was fine.  This one started out as a slow grower, but has been measuring ahead since 10 weeks.    So from my personal experience, this theory doesn't hold up. 

Personally, I'd just appreciate the lack of morning sickness and not try to overanalyze since I am still dealing with intermittent nausea/ vomiting at 15 weeks!  :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard this too but my mother had two great pregnancies with my brother and I (no morning sickness at all) and all went well with her! I seem to be following suit so far, so I'm not worrying one bit.
  • Options

I have had 5 miscarriages and 1 Ectopic.  With all of them no morning sickness what so ever.  I am now 15 weeks and have had a lot of morning sickness.  So I want to be a believer that m/s means healthy baby.  After that many losses this is a bit scary!!!

• Options
    I just feel a little defeated. Like, every single week (multiple times a week) I feel like "oh, there's something else to worry about that I didn't know."

Like, I dyed my hair the day I got my BFP (before). Sure, the jury is out on that, but it does seem like first trimester is when you should avoid it if you are going to. I didn't. I also ate lunch meat up until I found out. I was using face soap with ingredients linked to miscarriage and certain other disasters. I was taking melatonin up until last week, when I read it was bad.

I find it hard to believe that other women spend the time looking things up that I do (which is why I'm finding this out and they aren't). It's like, every week, some other reason to worry. I get a great ultrasound, I feel great for a few days, then find out there's something else I did wrong that no one talks about in real life around here, and I feel terrified again.

Now, I can feel awful because I DID NOT feel awful?

It's a bad day. I feel crappy.
  • Options
    @spurp13- I really wouldn't feel bad about the things you've mentioned. I know that's easier said than done. If it makes you feel any better, I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now and I had a coke this morning. Oh and I've also had my hair done 3 times since I've been pregnant. And then there's the dreaded pedicure a lady at my mom's church pretty much told me I was going to hell for getting while pregnant. All of which my doctor said was fine! Anything in moderation is just fine! If I wouldn't forget to bring my lunch everyday, I would probably bring a sandwich every now and then, too.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    SPurp13 said:
    I just feel a little defeated. Like, every single week (multiple times a week) I feel like "oh, there's something else to worry about that I didn't know."

Like, I dyed my hair the day I got my BFP (before). Sure, the jury is out on that, but it does seem like first trimester is when you should avoid it if you are going to. I didn't. I also ate lunch meat up until I found out. I was using face soap with ingredients linked to miscarriage and certain other disasters. I was taking melatonin up until last week, when I read it was bad.

I find it hard to believe that other women spend the time looking things up that I do (which is why I'm finding this out and they aren't). It's like, every week, some other reason to worry. I get a great ultrasound, I feel great for a few days, then find out there's something else I did wrong that no one talks about in real life around here, and I feel terrified again.

Now, I can feel awful because I DID NOT feel awful?

It's a bad day. I feel crappy.
    I'm really sorry you feel so bad. Like PPs said, this is something you cannot control. And the vast majority of pregnancies are healthy, no matter if there is morning sickness or not. I will add some anecdotal evidence for you: I dyed my hair when I was about 4 weeks with DD. Took ibuprofen, treated a yeast infection, was on clonazepam for anxiety (not recommended for pregnants). And she is a stinker of a 3 year old now, who was born at just past 37 weeks (healthy).

I know it must be really hard to not worry - but do what you can to relax. It is ok to vent here too.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Littledeer84 I just feel beat up about everything. My doctor never said to do this, not that, or anything of the sort. The ONLY thing she said was "don't drink alcohol or caffeine, have a great day!" I specifically ask her questions when I have them, but I'm afraid there are things I'm not asking because I don't know to ask.

I feel so calm, like, it is what it is, and it's really been no big deal so far--a few bouts with spotting but everything's come back fine since--and then someone says something or I think of something I should look up to make sure it's safe.

But venting here makes me feel better, as well as reading most of the posts. I don't comment on a lot because I'm interrupted at work often, but I do read!
  • Options
    youngin12 said:
    @spurp13- I really wouldn't feel bad about the things you've mentioned. I know that's easier said than done. If it makes you feel any better, I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper right now and I had a coke this morning. Oh and I've also had my hair done 3 times since I've been pregnant. And then there's the dreaded pedicure a lady at my mom's church pretty much told me I was going to hell for getting while pregnant. All of which my doctor said was fine! Anything in moderation is just fine! If I wouldn't forget to bring my lunch everyday, I would probably bring a sandwich every now and then, too.
    I just feel so in control and calm and much like you--I'm going to know the risks and decide based on my feelings on the matter (I don't see an issue with drinking a glass of wine once in a while, and I think a small amount of coffee is fine every day, despite what my doctor said), then I get into a funk when I read shit like this. If this was SO important, wouldn't my doctor have said "have you had morning sickness?" Nope. Listens to the heartbeat, sends me for tests and scans, and they come back perfect, so. No need to mess around.
  • Options
    83.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    One of my favorite sayings  :-bd

• Options
    @SPurp13‌
    I am sorry you are dealing with all this worry...maybe it is something you can ask the doctor about? My ob has me on a low dose of lexapro to help my anxiety.
    On the bump I come across things all the time that I have never heard before. I think it is a blessing and a curse!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard this, and the statistics behind it are a little wishy washy. (like many people with no sickness are fine, but many people with problems didn't have morning sicknes...cause or effect?) I hear it a lot b/c I was sick all day every day for 14 weeks...I equate it to the "it's good luck to rain on your wedding day" which is just a thing to make you feel better when it does rain on your wedding day. like, don't worry that this sucks so bad, it means good things. Brides who have no rain aren't constantly told they're unlucky, right?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Options
    SPurp13 said:
    @Littledeer84 I just feel beat up about everything. My doctor never said to do this, not that, or anything of the sort. The ONLY thing she said was "don't drink alcohol or caffeine, have a great day!" I specifically ask her questions when I have them, but I'm afraid there are things I'm not asking because I don't know to ask.

I feel so calm, like, it is what it is, and it's really been no big deal so far--a few bouts with spotting but everything's come back fine since--and then someone says something or I think of something I should look up to make sure it's safe.

But venting here makes me feel better, as well as reading most of the posts. I don't comment on a lot because I'm interrupted at work often, but I do read!
    I'd do just that! Depending on who you ask, you'll get a wide variety of do's and don'ts. I'd trust what your OB recommends (assuming you do trust her) and call it a day. If not you're going to, or already have by the sounds of it, drive yourself crazy. Sound like you have some calm moments, so, for your sake, try to remain positive and remember that most people are full of shit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"