Breastfeeding
Options

Hunger cues

My LO is 5 weeks & I'm having trouble reading her hunger cues. I know what they are suppose to look like - but the only thing I really notice is her sticking her tongue out. The problem is that she's always doing it, so I don't know when she's really hungry. I feel like it always gets to the point where she's crying (which I know I'm not suppose to let it get to) so then I try to see if she's hungry. I just feel like I should know by this point when my baby is hungry, but I'm still so confused! Any advice or similar experiences?

Re: Hunger cues

• Options
    I honestly couldn't tell if M was hungry or had a tummy ache or needed to burb or what until like 10 weeks. He was just 0-60 on the crying for the first 8-10. Even though his cues and cries are more clear now, when in doubt I offer the boob.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    agree with PPs- when in doubt, boob. ;) my DS was big on rooting around for a nipple, though. he would wave his head around and try to suck on whatever was in reach. he even tried to nurse on my nose once. ;)

newborns can be so fussy and uncomfortable-seeming that it's kind of hard to figure out what they want sometimes. it'll get easier once your LO is a little older.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    Don't worry, I feel like I'm always confused about what I should do with my LO!  Like PPs mentioned, I would just offer boob and more often than not, it worked!  When it didn't work, I would check the diaper, bicycle his legs (he can be a gassy boy), and cuddle him.  Around 5 weeks, DS was super fussy... whether or not he was going through a wonder week and/or a growth spurt, nothing I did made him happy (especially BF).  We really got into baby wearing at that point and that always made him happy.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"