November 2014 Moms

Anyone else not close to their mother?

My mother has never really been supportive of anything I have done. When I told her I was pregnant she was not happy at all. When I started bleeding heavily at five weeks and was at the ER and sure I was having a miscarriage (I didn't) she told me it would be best if I lost the baby and I should just keep my legs together (because me and my boyfriend are not married) She can be very cruel and says hurtful things. She is also controlling and manipulative. She will try to make me feel guilty if I do not do exactly what she wants. And she had the nerve to tell me she wants to be in the delivery room. Ummm...no. I don't need that stress. Anyone else have a rocky relationship with the parents?

Re: Anyone else not close to their mother?

• My mother is an unmedicated, untreated bipolar 2 alcoholic who has been verbally abusive to me since I was 3. So, yeah, I would say we're not close. She is a part of my life, but at this point our relationship is mostly limited to Facebook interactions. I love her, and I know she loves me, but it is best for my mental health and well-being to keep her at arm's length.

I feel a little green with envy over people who have good relationships with their mothers. But, fortunately, my Grandmother took the role of Mother for most of my life, so I have her for support and sharing my joy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother stopped being a part of my life when I was 14, I'm now 25.We haven't spoken since. She was a cruel person who enjoyed humiliating myself, my brother and my dad. Her family was the same and I haven't spoken to any of them since. super messed up people. 

I wish i had a mother who was loving and kind to share things with, she could not be that person. Thankfully my brother and I are super close with my dad so I have never felt like I have emotionally gone without. 

I do get the odd comment from people when they ask about "my mother" but its because they don't understand. Some people thought getting married or having kids would make me want to mend things, but it was the opposite. it made it even more clear i don't want her in my life.

When I was pregnant with DD some of my coworkers(50 yo ladies) were like oooh what was your mom;s reaction when you told her"  umm...if i told her she would have probably been shocked and confused as to why I'm talking to her" People get so weirded out as to why I don't have a mom in my life. meh. 

I choose quality over quantity when it comes to people in my life. No one gets a free pass to me mean to me just because they are a parent/sibling/friend whatever. 
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My situation is a little bit different. My mom passed away 5 years ago when I was 23. We had a rocky relationship when I was a teenager but we were on our way to mending that and becoming very close again when she died in a sudden accident.

I've always known that having kids would be one of the most difficult times because she wouldn't be there and I know how much she would have wanted grand kids. I actually found out I was pregnant in early March right around the same time as her birthday and the anniversary of her death. I thought it would make me sad thinking of her not being there to meet her grandchild, but instead I was so happy knowing how excited and supportive she would have been. She would have been a good grandma and as much as it makes me a sad to think she will never see this LO, I'm comforted in the knowing how proud she would have been.
  • I used to spend a lot of time with my mom. She was a mostly single parent and I had no relationship with my dad growing up, so we used to do things together. Looking back on my childhood from an adult perspective, I realize how my mom has carried so much baggage for so long that she makes all her decisions based on fear and insecurity. It made her a really ineffective parent, almost abusive.

As an example, when I got the flu as a teenager, my mom slapped me and asked if I was pregnant. Being hit in the face and accused of wild things while you are vomiting and sick and have a fever is ridiculous. To this day she in incapable/unwilling to put down her own issues and deal with things that are ACTUALLY HAPPENING. she builds wild associations in her mind based on what she's most afraid of and then responds as if they were real.

Recently my mom had surgery with a long recovery and spent the entire 12 weeks making everyone miserable and insulting my dad. I'm so disgusted by her behavior and the way she treats people is awful. I refuse to speak to her for anything other than necessary interactions about DS or my dad.

My mom wasn't welcome at DS's birth and I don't want her near me this time either. I know DS loves his grandma, but I can't deal with her anymore.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • My mom and I don't have a rocky relationship, I guess the best way to put it is she knows how to push my buttons. She expects me to call her EVERYDAY no matter what, and I literally can't do that because I work full time, I'm pregnant( which she doesn't know yet) I have a husband i like spending time with and my fur baby. She still thinks I'm 15, and I need to check in with every thing I do. That being said tho, she has always been there for me, when I had to have my D&C I was considered an out patient and there wasn't really room for visitors, however she forced her way in and waited with me, and stayed when my surgery got pushed back. It can be draining trying to explain things to my mom because the way my parents were raised and "back in the days" is a lot different from the generation I was raised in. Hopefully when I make it to a happy and healthy 12 weeks she'll know that I'm not ignoring her on purpose I'm just ALWAYS tired.
  • My mom left when I was 6. She spent most of my life 3000 miles away from me and my two younger siblings. She moves to the town I live in 2 years ago, I wouldn't say we are close but we are beginning to have a relationship. She watches ds while we are at work, so I try not to rock the boat when she passes me off.
    My dad married again when I was 10. My step mom can be great but mostly she is a bitch. (She is an alcoholic) they live 2 hours away and when I go home we usually fight so I avoid it as much as possible.
    On the other hand I had the most amazing mother in law in the world. Me and dh have been together since I was 15 so I can say she had a huge part in me becoming the mother I am. She passed away from a short battle of brain cancer when I was 11 weeks pregnant with ds. (Her first grandbaby) she was an amazing woman!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • OP, you are obviously not alone. Il share my story, even though you have many other examples, because it's cathartic.

My relationship with my mom is improving. She divorced my dad when I was younger, and then spent my middle and high school years living like she was the teen. She was selfish and uncaring, but acted like she was a good mom. It was so hard to not have her there when I needed her. When I graduated hs she moved 4 hours away with her bf and then married him without telling me until after the fact. After that I stopped talking to her all together.

When I got pregnant with DD we had started repairing our relationship and she was planning on moving near me, and I had to tell her no. She wasn't invited to the hospital but came up a two weeks later for a couple days. Since then, we've really worked through things. She was really nurturing when we visited and I was puking with HG a few weeks ago, which was great, but she keeps talking about how she will come up for the birth. I don't want her to. I've forgiven her, but I don't want her anywhere near me in such an emotional time. I tend to think of her wants before my own, because that's how I cope. Bad time to do that in delivery.

I'm so blessed to have an awesome step-mom and MIL (who has made it her goal to NOT be a monster-in-law).
  • It's good to know that I'm not alone, but I still feel bad that so many have less than perfect relationships with their mothers. Thank you for all your stories ladies. I guess mostly I am just scared that I will end up having the same kind of relationship with my child. If anything though I have learned some things NOT to do. 

• My mom is a sociopath with a history of drug abuse and a pretty lengthy criminal record at this point. She kicked me out of her house after my parents divorced less than a week before my 11th birthday. She was ridiculously physically and emotionally abusive and because she was sucks a good liar, it was years before most people caught on and my father (who had a stable job, home and way to provide for us, unlike my mom) could officially get custody of my sisters and I and stop paying her child support.

The last time I saw her was probably 5 years ago, when she came into the grocery store I worked at. I told her to leave or I would call management. (She has a pretty "impressive" theft record.) DH has never met her, and I have no plans of letting her back in my life at any point. I do have a half brother and half sister that are hers, and I try to stay close with them and help them deal with what it's like to have her as a mother.

Sometimes I do get really hung up on just not understanding what it's like having a mom. I am jealous of all the people I know who complain about how their mom always wants to be with them or do special things, however, I am positive growing up with one parent incapable of love solidified my desire to be a good, loving mother.
  • It's good to know that I'm not alone, but I still feel bad that so many have less than perfect relationships with their mothers. Thank you for all your stories ladies. I guess mostly I am just scared that I will end up having the same kind of relationship with my child. If anything though I have learned some things NOT to do. 

Becoming a parent can bring up a lot of baggage and remind you of your past. But each of us has FREE WILL and we can decide what kind of parents we want to become. It isn't easy to avoid making the same mistakes, but each of us is capable of this.

If you avoid thinking about your past or try to avoid dealing with it, you'll never be free from it. It will follow you around and work it's way into your choices, your reactions, the things you say and do.

Each if us has a responsibility to deal with the damage we've inherited. That's what growing up is all about.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • My problem is with my dad. Growing up I was a huge daddy girl. I would do everything with him. When I turned 16, I moved out of his house and with my mom. My dad go remarried to a woman when I was 4 and she was a bitch from the start. As I got older I realized that my dad sat there and watched my stepmom abuse my siblings and I. Her abuse was mental, physical, verbal.... Everything. When my sister was 5, my stepmom slapped her and cut her eye open.. It was bad. So, my dad and I have drifted apart recently. I called and told him only for legal advice. It breaks my heart that he won't really know his first grandchild. but as long as he is with that women, he will not have a relationship with me or my child.
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • My mom and I have a weird relationship. She is extremely narcissistic, and everything is about her. She is a recovering addict and has always felt entitled to everything in my life.
    I love her, I will always be here for her, but I do not need her in my life to make me who I am. I respect her, she is my mother but I set boundaries, and I do not allow for her to cross those boundaries. I'm an adult and she will need to trust in my choices. If she doesn't, not my problem.

• MrsDLMrsDL member
    It's good to know that I'm not alone, but I still feel bad that so many have less than perfect relationships with their mothers. Thank you for all your stories ladies. I guess mostly I am just scared that I will end up having the same kind of relationship with my child. If anything though I have learned some things NOT to do. 

I don't have a close relationship with my mom which is disappointing, she was incredibly close to my grandmother. I have 3 sisters, only one of us is close with her (and weirdly the rest of us aren't very close to this one sister - my mom and sister have similar personalities and I think the rest of us are more opposite). It's not terrible, but we don't speak all that much and don't see each other all that much.  DS is 3 and she's only seen him about 4 or 5 times.  She's just a bit self-centered and means well, but it hurts I don't have the relationship I see some other friends have.  That said, my MIL is awesome and I'm closer to her - DH has a brother, no sisters so she treats me like the daughter she never had. She flies in to see her grandson every 6 weeks or so and I talk with her a few times a week.

You'll work hard to have a relationship with your child early on just because that's what you want. Forming a parental/child bond starts early and you're aware of your mom's shortcomings and the problems you have, it makes it easier to avoid pitfalls. I feel like DS and I have a strong bond (and he'll grow and go through that "mom - no hugs in public!" phase), but I work and willl work everyday to make sure he knows he can count on me, that I love and treasure him and will always be there to support him. I don't feel I have that with my mom so I work even harder at creating that kind of bond with my son - well sons in a few months.

• My mom and I don't have a rocky relationship, I guess the best way to put it is she knows how to push my buttons. She expects me to call her EVERYDAY no matter what, and I literally can't do that because I work full time, I'm pregnant( which she doesn't know yet) I have a husband i like spending time with and my fur baby. She still thinks I'm 15, and I need to check in with every thing I do. That being said tho, she has always been there for me, when I had to have my D&C I was considered an out patient and there wasn't really room for visitors, however she forced her way in and waited with me, and stayed when my surgery got pushed back. It can be draining trying to explain things to my mom because the way my parents were raised and "back in the days" is a lot different from the generation I was raised in. Hopefully when I make it to a happy and healthy 12 weeks she'll know that I'm not ignoring her on purpose I'm just ALWAYS tired.

[stuck in quote box] I'm sure I don't understand all of the intricacies of your relationship with your mother, but how do you not have time to call every day? Maybe I'm naive, but I work 4 jobs-1 full time, 1 on weekends, 1 PRN, and 1 2 nights a week, I have a husband, 2 furbabies, am pregnant, and call my mother every single day. Maybe we only talk 2 minutes, or maybe we never connect and just play phone tag, but I always think there's 5 minutes while you're driving or walking somewhere you can call your mother.
  • I've been estranged from my mother since I was a teenager, after my father died and she chose a new abusive partner over her own children.    I  went to live with my grandparents who were wonderful parents to me, but they too passed in my early 20s.    It saddens me that this child won't have the special relationship with it's grandparents that I so cherished.   (DH's father also passed when he was a child and while I think his mother is a lovely woman and a fantastic grandmother, she is currently 81yo)

I am sometimes envious of other women who have a mother figure to turn to and ask questions.  Who will be present for the birth and potentially help out afterwards.  Who will share in the excitement.  But, I think I always knew that having a child would bring those types of feelings forward and that it's just another part of the loss I've felt for most of my life related to not having the mother I yearned to have but that she was never able to be.  

I hope that I can be the mother my child needs.   

BabyFruit Ticker

[stuck in quote box] I'm sure I don't understand all of the intricacies of your relationship with your mother, but how do you not have time to call every day? Maybe I'm naive, but I work 4 jobs-1 full time, 1 on weekends, 1 PRN, and 1 2 nights a week, I have a husband, 2 furbabies, am pregnant, and call my mother every single day. Maybe we only talk 2 minutes, or maybe we never connect and just play phone tag, but I always think there's 5 minutes while you're driving or walking somewhere you can call your mother.

I work in retail as a manager so there are days where it is incredibly busy and I work 10-12 hour days sometimes 8 hour days but 6 days a week, and I would like to come home and rest, possibly spend time with my husband. I am glad that you have time to talk to your mother, but I didn't share my entire relationship with my mom because I guess I choose to not let the fact that she would call me things not bother me. Maybe I'm being unreasonable for wanting to take some alone time some days. Don't get me wrong I do call my mom I just don't call her every day, because there are days where I start work at 8 am and I don't finish until 10:30 or 11 and by the time I get home i am exhausted. Although you work many jobs and maybe you have a better relationship with your mom then I do, that you connect on a different level then my mother and I.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"