September 2014 Moms

STMs: do I really need a swing, bouncer, and rock n play?

Or would 2 of the 3 be sufficient?

Re: STMs: do I really need a swing, bouncer, and rock n play?

• jmolrjmolr member
    yes if you have the room you need them all.  At least I did. The baby slept in the rock and play for the first 6 weeks.   It's nice and portable so I brought it into the bathroom with me so I can keep an eye on him when I showered.   The bouncer was a great place to keep him when I was cooking, cleaning or just doing things around the house.  He didn't really nap in there it was more of a little place to hang out that vibrated and played music.  The swing was awesome because he'd take naps in there and it soothed him when he was inconsolable.  
    imageimage
  • We had a bouncer and swing. I thought it was plenty. We could have probably done without one or the other, but both got used enough to make it worth it to us. A friend was getting rid of her rnp and gifted it to us, so now we have all 3, but I'm 900% sure we do not need all 3.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a swing and a bouncer but could have been fine with just one.
  • You don't really "need" any. But if I had to choose based on my own personal experience, here's my vote.

1. RNP. It's light, inexpensive, and super portable. When DD was an infant, we took it everytime we went to visit relatives or on trips. Instant place for baby to sleep that isn't heavy or bulky? Score.
    2. Swing. DH wanted DD to sleep in our room at first before the crib. Swing set up in the corner it was. That shit was magical.
    3. Bouncer. We had one but didn't use it too much bc we had the first 2 items. I did like the fact that I could sit it on the coffee table or the counter if I was doing something, but then again you can have RNP at your side also.

• We all have different definitions of "need" ;) but I would say yes if you can afford them and have the space. If you really only wanted 2 of the 3, I would say a Rock n Play is a must, as well as a swing. The bouncer is great too, but not a necessity like the other two were for my DDs.
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    edited April 2014
    Agree about "Need" vs. nice to have... 

I bought the snugamonkey bouncer because it was on mega sale - he was never really into it, though it was nice the few nights we ate on the patio when he was pre-high chair and we needed a place to put him!

Registered for swing and recieved as a gift from girlfriends - it was a fancy one that swung side to side instead of front to back.  LO hated it. He'd nap in there just fine with it not moving but as soon as we started swinging, he'd freak.  We ended up buying a basic Graco front-to-back swing at a consignment store for $25 and it was the best f'ing thing I ever bought for him - sometimes it was the only way he would sleep, and it calmed him instantly when nothing else would work.

We didn't use a Rock n' play, though I might get one this time to conserve space in our bedroom.  I had bought a pack n/ play with a basinette attachment and he slept in that in our room for the first 8 -10 weeks before transitioning to his own crib /nursery. I knew I wanted a PnP for other reasons, and didn't want a FOURTH device.

Unfortunately a lot of it is trial and error.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The bouncer was great when I was taking a shower. We also fed DS in the bouncer as well when he first started solids. The swing we used a lot as well. I never had a RnP but my friend had it and never used it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • A bouncer of the three woudl be the one I would leave out, but honestly, I used them all. DS slept in the RNP, lived in the swing when he was colicky, and the bouncer was perfect for moving it around to different rooms in the house.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Oh - and re: swing... we specifically got one that operated both on battery OR could be plugged in. Lifesaver when the power went out or when we needed to move it, but didnt' suck through batteries!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • You don't need all 3 but they all have their uses. My son hated the bouncer so we only used it a couple times and then gave it to a friend, and I'm planning on just using the swing and Rock n Play this time around. With my son, we used the Rock n Play for overnight sleep and travel, the bouncer in the bathroom when I took showers, and the swing to soothe him when he was fussy or bored.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • like others said, you dont need any of them.. but for me I used all 3 a good amount.

RnP: slept in it until 6 mos ( great sleeper)

swing: he loved it and it was great at 5 am when i wanted to curl up on couch while it got him back to sleep for a short time. ( the little lamb one)

bouncer: great to just put him down for a little while, he would stay for some time in it.. 

photo camannouncement2.jpg

Mom to Cameron, 3 years old

TTC: 1 year
    1/2013: Chemical m/c 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used a swing and a bouncer - never had a rock and play. It just depends on what you like. I welcome anything that lets me put the munchkin down for a while.
    --------------
    PCOS , incompetent cervix, gestational diabetes, IVF graduate, with one ovary!
    1 angel baby due to a 20 week M/C thanks to IC
    1 ovary due to a benign tumor that crushed my ovary
    About 6 years of pointlessly POAS
    Proud mommy of a 2.5 year old  girl
    Currently pregnant with baby #2 surprise BFP -  Team Blue until proven otherwise

• We never had a swing or rock n play for DS, but a bouncer was critical..he ended up sleeping in it a lot when he got congested and had to sleep angled upward to breathe. It was also fantastic at putting him to sleep!
    imageimage
  • We used the rock n play religiously for a long while. The swing was helpful, but in my opinion not worth the space it took up. We did have a bouncer and used that a bunch too. I think it's going to be preference. Start with two of the three if you want and then add third if you feel you need it.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I used the swing a handful of times. It was a free hand me down, or I wouldn't have one. Logan was easy and I didn't have a need for those things. Or the space.

I am leery of the RnP. I have heard quite a few stories of babies that get used to them and have a hard time transitioning to a flat crib.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• doeie04 said:
    . I am leery of the RnP. I have heard quite a few stories of babies that get used to them and have a hard time transitioning to a flat crib.
    Hmmm, it never occurred to me before, that could be the reason for the difficulty transitioning. I"ll keep that in mind when deciding what to do this time around.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It really depends on what the baby prefers. We just had a swing and vibrating chair and survived :) The chair was the most used. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • edited April 2014
    Rock n Plays are not available here in Canada so we never had one of those it I sure loved the bouncer and swing. He slept A LOT in the swing and we liked the bouncer because it was portable.

• We had a bouncer and a swing and used both quite a bit. Never heard of a rock n play before (had to google it).

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• doeie04 said:
    . I am leery of the RnP. I have heard quite a few stories of babies that get used to them and have a hard time transitioning to a flat crib.
    Hmmm, it never occurred to me before, that could be the reason for the difficulty transitioning. I"ll keep that in mind when deciding what to do this time around.
    I was concerned about this as well. With DS, I started putting him in the crib one nap a day and then very gradually moved him completely to the crib. It worked great for us. It really depends on the LO and if he/she has any reflux issues.
    That's what I did last time when transitioning him from PnP bassinet to crib -- and he never had any adjustment issues.  maybe I should leave well enough alone.  Then again, since baby #1 was like the most ridiculously easy baby on planet earth, I'm sure we're fucked this time around no matter what. ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We're registering for a RnP and the Graco DuetSoothe swing, which has the removable seat that becomes a bouncer on the floor. We don't have a lot of space (we're in a townhouse), so the RnP will mostly be upstairs for sleeping and while I'm getting ready, while the swing will be in the main living space.
    July Siggy Challenge: Summer Pool Fails

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP: 01.07.14 | Due Date: 09.17.14
  • Thanks everyone! You have all been very helpful!!
  • We used a swing, a bouncer, and an exersaucer and found them all useful at different times. I'd I didn't have the room, a swing is probably the one I'd skip. I have to go look up rock n play because either I call it something rise, or it is new since my last baby! 
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"