October 2014 Moms

job interview tomorrow...

So I have a job interview tomorrow and I am very nervous about it. I am 15 weeks tomorrow and I don't know if I should go ahead and tell them I am pregnant or how I go about that!! Help please what would you ladies do?

Re: job interview tomorrow...

• I say totally up to you as it really isnt any of their business!
  • Good luck.  A woman got a job here last year and did not reveal at the time of the interview that she was 6 months along.  It was a rough blow but now she is back working hard.

• Loading the player...
  • I would not tell them. They cannot legally not give you the job because you are pregnant but I definitely think it doesn't help you any. As PP said it is none of their business. If you get the job you can figure out when you want to talk to them about it. 
     image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't tell during the interview. If they offer you the job, and you decide to accept, I would tell them and start negotiating then.
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!

• aander6 said:

I would not tell them. They cannot legally not give you the job because you are pregnant but I definitely think it doesn't help you any. As PP said it is none of their business. If you get the job you can figure out when you want to talk to them about it. 

This. I would tell at the offer stage, though, so you can negotiate any maternity leave. You won't qualify for FMLA.

All of this. Good luck!
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yup, I'm with the PP.  Keep it to yourself until the offer stage and negotiate that leave!
  • Good luck tomorrow!
  • I agree with other posters that I wouldn't tell them til they make the offer.  They can't legally discriminate against you, but that's not to say they won't. Once they make an offer they're more locked in.  Good luck! 

• I'm going through this! I interviewed and did not mention the pregnancy. I was just offered the job and I told the manager at that time. I felt most comfortable with this, as I too have worked with many nurses who were newly hired and announced their 1st or 2nd week on the job and everyone was irritated lol. IMO it's best to be up front, but not at the interview where you are simply discussing your qualifications and discovering if it's a position you want. Good luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• I am job searching right now too and have decided to do what pretty much everyone else said:  tell at the offer stage.  I haven't had any interviews yet, though and education jobs in my grade level/subject are few and far between around here so I very well could be a stay at home mom next year. 

Good luck with your interview!  Be sure and update us!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • I'm in the same boat, and I will bring it up following my next (3rd) interview. I don't want them to think I was hiding anything from them by waiting until I get an offer, and by that point they'll have had the chance to see how qualified I am for the job. If I don't get the job after I tell them, I'll know that one of two things is true:

1) I was not the most qualified person for the job.

2) They didn't want to hire a 4 month pregnant woman. Though that's highly illegal, it can't really be proven that's the reason. And if it is the reason, legal or not, it's not a company I'd want to work for anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck! 

I interviewed for my current job when I was about 13 weeks pregnant with B.  I did not tell them.  I told them after I was on the job for a couple of weeks and finished my first major project.  I work in education, so it is a little different, because there is built in time off over the summer (with B, I was due at the beginning of June).  Anyway, it absolutely can all work out.  I worked until I gave birth, took off the summer (unpaid) and got a promotion when I came back the following school year.  Best of luck to you!!
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Just FYI, even though you may not be legally entitled to FMLA (based on the amount of time you'll be on the job) if the company is qualified for FMLA in general, the company can be nice and give you the same protections/privileges of 12 weeks unpaid leave.  It really just depends on how favorably they look upon baby bonding time.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"