January 2014 Moms

How do you plan to feed baby?

MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
edited April 2014 in January 2014 Moms
I've never considered baby led weaning before. I read up on it and it's an interesting concept. I fed DS purées and he eats anything...not sure if there is a correlation....but I am happy with his eating habits. Makes me nervous to try something different, even though DD may not be as easy of an eater as her brother. How do you plan on feeding baby?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

How do you plan to feed baby? 154 votes

Purées....homemade....starting around 4 months
27% 42 votes
Purées.....store bought....starting around 4 months
12% 19 votes
Baby led weaning (BLW)
27% 42 votes
SS....I'm interested to see if anyone has anything else to add.
33% 51 votes

Re: How do you plan to feed baby?

• Whoa, I need to read up on solids... I haven't thought much past just breastfeeding and we're almost at 3 mos.
  • Loading the player...
  • teacher0708teacher0708 member
    edited April 2014
    A mixture of purees store bought and home made starting at 6 months

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• km_mdkm_md member
    I plan to do homemade purees when we get the go ahead from her paediatrician. We got a baby bullet at our shower so I am all ready to go!

• I chose the homemade purees... but I am going to probably wait until closer to 6 months

our little flower born 01.13.14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A mix of store bought puréed and homemade ones....then a bit of BLW maybe around 6 months. I'd like to try all of the different options and see what LO likes best!

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• allyerrn said:

Her pedi said nothing but BM or formula until 6 months.

This.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I did store bought purées w DS. I had no idea about BLW, etc. DS is a lazy eater and prefers mushy food. I'm def willing to try something different w DD.

• A little of both homemade purées and blw. We are a busy family so it's a little easier to feed purées while out. We won't be starting any if it till atleast 6 months.
  • We'll start with purees at 6months, then start BLW if purees go good for the first 2 weeks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image  image

• I hadn't thought much about this either! Four month visit is a week from Friday and will ask. But, I know our pedi said not much change until 6 months...so we will likely wait until then. I'd like to do homemade. Have any of you STM tried it? How much time does it take? Did you stick w it?

I have noticed DD is much more interested in what we are eating lately. Maybe she's just interested in anything taking attention away from her though.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• I'm intrigued by BLW but don't know enough about it so I ordered a few books from the library and bookmarked a few blogs. Hoping to try and mix purées with BLW because a friend of ours just gave us two cases of baby food her LO didn't use.
    Megan J.
    Wife - 10.20.12 / Expecting - 05.20.13 / Mommy - 01.14.14

• Homemade is very easy. I steam the veggies/fruits, puree them, pour it into an ice tray, freeze them, then move them to ziplock bag in the freezer. I take out what i need for the day and let it thaw when I am ready to use it. You can make a months worth in around 45 minutes. I found it easy to stick with and it was fresher than store bought.

• We will most likely do a mix of homemade and store bought purées starting around 6 months
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Cnj6208 said:

A little of both homemade purées and blw. We are a busy family so it's a little easier to feed purées while out. We won't be starting any if it till atleast 6 months.

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

• Wow, @KEfam5‌ !....it took me like 4 hours to steam, purée, and freeze my baby food! I did a huge farmers mkt run and did sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, apples, pears, mangoes, peaches, green beans, carrots, and papaya all in one day....it was a long day! It lasted me like 3 weeks with what I made.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • We're doing BLW only because of his prematurity. I don't want to push him and cause him to have a food aversion, I'm willing to move at his pace.
  • @MiaMyPuggle I guess I was thinking more for the first couple of months when they only eat like 3 cubes a day. It did take me longer as she got bigger now that I think about it. But I also did small batches at a time so that none got freezer burned and went to waste. When I wrote my above post, I was holding DS and typing one handed so I didn't want to elaborate too much. :)

• Last week at four month appt, ped said we could start cereal (oatmeal, no rice) in 4-6 weeks. I don't plan to start until six months though. DD has bad gas and some belly issues so I want to give her digestive system as much time as possible to mature.

We'll do a combo of homemade purées and BLW. MIL will start watching DD in August and we'll send purées there and do BLW at home as I don't trust my MIL to be diligent about avoiding foods that family members have allergies to. MIL also let's food sit out for hours and I don't want DD to have any of that.
    imageimageimage
  • KEfam5 said:
    Homemade purees starting at 6 months.
    this.

*********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
  • Store bought purees when she's ready (sometime between 4-6 months).

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Probably store bought starting at 6 mo like I did with DS1. I just don't have the time to make homemade. but if I cind the opportunity I will try some.

My 2 December boys

• BLW around 6 months
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A combination of things- if she's interested in our food, we'll let her try. I'll also buy purees, and hope to make some myself.

And waiting until at least 6 months, maybe later. I'm going to go with the flow, since I think that's what hurt us with DD1. (I think we started too early at 5 months, had eating issues for a year)
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• Mix of homemade purées & blw. We're not starting until at least 6mo though.

Married 3/17/2005
    M/C #1 2005 - 6wks
    M/C #2 2006 - 7wks
    M/C #3 2008 - 11wks
    Baby Aeneas Born 1/20/2014
  • ArrgcrArrgcr member

A mixture of purees store bought and home made starting at 6 months

Yup. This. Although, her dr mentioned something about 'playing' with the baby cereal around 4 months. Just like a spoonful every now and then to see how she adjusts. No 'real' purees until 6 mo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"