October 2014 Moms

Q for cloth diapering mamas

I've started potty training DS (17 months) and hope to have him out of his CDs by the time #2 arrives (DS will be 22 months).

If that's the case, I'll use our CD stash for the new baby. However, if DS is still in diapers, should I use the CDs for the infant? DS was into the AIOs by 1.5 months, so it's possible that the two could overlap on being in diapers, but not long enough to buy a whole new stash of CDs.

Infant poo is way easier to deal with than toddler poo (no spraying it off in the toilet, etc) so that's a vote for putting the infant in cloth, but toddler disposables are more expensive than infant disposables, so that's a vote for keeping the toddler in the CDs.

What would you/ will you do?

DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Q for cloth diapering mamas

• Could you add some newborn prefolds and covers to your stash? Then by the time the new lo fits into the bigger diapers maybe your ds will be fully potty trained.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS and the twins will all share the same stash of OS diapers eventually (I doubt DS will be ready to potty train before they come)...I think as long as there are no issues with yeast or diaper rash, it is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with just investing in a few more CDs if you end up needing them to accommodate 2 in diapers.  Since you're already doing CD laundry, adding a few more to the mix should be no big deal.  Plus you can sell off any extras that you don't need once DS potty trains if you aren't one to keep more than you need around. 

Disclaimers: this is coming from a woman with enough diapers to last probably more than a week before doing laundry (although that would be really gross and I would never do that)...so clearly I'm a fan of buying cloth diapers.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• DS2 will be 2 in August and I don't see him being fully potty trained by October (he's still not very interested in trying the potty). I just plan to buy more diapers, I'd rather have too many than too few. Plus we plan on one more kid so I know we'll get our money out of them. I tend to have big babies (9lbs & 10lbs 11) so I'm planning to use OS CDs from the beginning. That means DS2 & LO should be in the same diapers. If not I'll just use disposables on LO for a little bit.

I'm hungry & rambling. Pretend like what I said makes sense.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • With my boys, I just ended up getting some more cloth diapers.  My boys wore the same diapers (mostly BG), I just sized some for each boy.  Now that DS#1 is potty trained (mostly, still working on night time), DS#2 gets all the diapers until #3 gets here.  I do recommend getting some NB cloth diapers though.  We just used prefolds and covers for the NB stage, and the AIOs the rest of the time.  It still saved us money in the long run to buy extra AIOs to cover the time when they were in the same size.

As an aside, I know that some people make the potty training work early, but it is extremely common for kids to show an interest in potty training at about 18 months, but most regress quickly.  DS#1 was almost potty trained at 18 months, but by about 19 months was back in diapers full time.  My pediatrician said it's incredibly common.  Not wanting to be a bearer of bad news, hopefully it works for you!  Just saying that I wouldn't count on him being trained when planning out diapers.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• My son is almost 17 mos too and I do not want to invest anymore in CDs. I will probably keep the new baby in disposables until my son is potty trained. Your CDs might be stretched out some now too so they might not fit the baby as soon as they did your son.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jesslinnnjesslinnn member
    edited April 2014
    If you have one size CDs, they probably won't fit for the first 6-8 weeks anyway - or longer if baby is small at birth.

I'm very confused as to how newborn diapers are cheaper than toddler diapers....have you taken in consideration the number of diapers?  DD only pees 3-4 times a day, poops a max of once, so that's 4-5 diapers most days (I don't change clean diapers, because...why?).  A newborn will go through closer to 12 diapers in a day, given the blowouts at every feeding that are common.

I think she just meant you get more diapers per pack in the smaller sizes... but I agree with you, a newborn is going to go through way more diapers, so in the long run you'll be spending more.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • I plan to put the new baby in newborn disposables for the first couple months until DD2 is trained.  I'm thinking she will be trained a few months after baby comes.  DD1 was trained between 28-30 months.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Maybe you could go the cheap route for the NB stage and have LO wear Flats with covers. That way you don't have to spend a ton on more to add to the stash. Then when the baby gets bigger and if your older child has not quite stopped wearing diapers, all you would have to buy is larger covers as the flats will still fit.
  • I am going with prefolds and covers for the newborn stage, plus some adorable goodmama newborns that I couldn't resist. But then I will share when #2 can fit in OS and probably just wash more often or actually use the diapers I don't love. I am also a bad cloth diaper mom and use sposies for convenience when needed. Or when tired of doing laundry. I was hoping dd would be potty trained- she will be 26 months, but that is looking highly doubtful right now!!
    DD Caitlin 8/2012, m/c 8/2013, m/c 12/2013, Rainbow baby due 10/17/2014!!!
  • If my child wasn't quite 2 I would buy enough diapers to pump up my stash just enough and sell the extras once they're trained, even if it meant doing diapers a little more often. It totally depends on the kid but many aren't trained until nearer to 3. I would hate to put pressure on child #1 to be trained because I was waiting for the diapers - it's a stressful enough situation on its own!

As for stretching out - I plan to replace the elastic in my BG's before using them for the baby, I know they are way stretched out from DD, she wore them until 2.5+ and had some chunky thighs! 
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • No advice, but I WISH I could get my 19 month old to potty train. Or at least sit on her potty without yelling No at me. She is the most stubborn child lol. How are you going about training your 17 month old? 
    Mine can't fully undress herself either. She can get pants down if they are loose around the waist but that's as far as she can get really. 
  • hippohat said:
    If my child wasn't quite 2 I would buy enough diapers to pump up my stash just enough and sell the extras once they're trained, even if it meant doing diapers a little more often. It totally depends on the kid but many aren't trained until nearer to 3. I would hate to put pressure on child #1 to be trained because I was waiting for the diapers - it's a stressful enough situation on its own!

As for stretching out - I plan to replace the elastic in my BG's before using them for the baby, I know they are way stretched out from DD, she wore them until 2.5+ and had some chunky thighs! 
    I would have to say I second the concern that pushing your only 17 month old to potty training may not be the best course of action here. I think you need to wait and make sure you child has interest and is physically ready to potty train before you start. Sure some kids do potty train before two but LOTS don't show interest until after two to even begin. I just worry if you try to start to soon just because you want the diapers is not going to be good for you or your toddler and as my pedi said if you try to force it before they are ready it can backfire on you and your child will fight back and it will end up taking way longer then if you just waiting until they are ready. 
     image image
  • Great suggestions, thanks.

On the issue of pushing just to save on diapers- that's not the situation. I want to potty train him as early as he's ready, and so far, he's done amazingly well. 

He spends a significant part of the day without a diaper on, LOVES sitting on his little potty and gets very excited when he goes in it. Afterward, he says "pee pee potty, wow...no touch." 

He's learned how to carry it to the bathroom and spray it clean with the CD sprayer while I hold it over the toilet. I haven't used any rewards other than celebrating when he goes in it- plus, the water sprayer fun at the end is his favorite part- probably a "reward" in his mind.

All that to say, as long as it's fun for him, I'm all for him learning early. Several of my nieces and nephews were day-trained right around 18 months, so it's definitely possible, as long as it works for the fam.

On the diapers, if he's not out of them by 22 months, I'm thinking prefolds with covers are a good, low-cost option for the first month or two. Don't like them nearly as much as AOI, but they're do-able.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a sister who was trained at 18 months, I was trained at about 22 months, but my other sister and brother were trained at nearly 3, so if you're son's ready and doing well,then I see no reason to think he won't be potty trained before LO #2 comes along.  I made the mistake of ordering 3 dozen GMD newborn prefolds and making about 10 wool covers out of recycled sweaters before DS came, but he was way too big to fit into newborn anything when he was born, but he didn't yet have the chubby thighs needed for the OS pockets he's in now, so DS was in disposables until about 5-6 weeks old (I couldn't justify buying and prepping new diapers in that time period, let alone finding the time to felt, sew, and lanolize covers).  I was appalled at the amount I spent on diapers even for that short period of time.  I've held onto newborn ones I have, and even borrowed them to DH's cousin, so now they're good and absorbant, but I plan on picking up some small size prefolds and making some small size wool covers for this new LO just in case I have another giant newborn.  

DS is getting curious about the potty, he's able to tell me when he's pooping, and 3 boys at daycare are being potty trained right now, so I think he might be ready to start trying it out around 18 months (he's 15 months now), but I don't expect him to really be out of diapers until a few to several months after LO #2 is here.  I have 40 OS pockets, and I feel like that will be plenty for the time that DS and new LO are in diapers at the same time.  I'll probably be doing them everyday or every day and a half, but I really don't plan on spending much more on my stash just because there's two of them.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • My daughter was just as excited about using the potty at your sons age. However, she didn't fully potty train until right around her 3rd birthday. 
  • mping said:
    A few months worth of disposables would cost more than 2 dozen newborn prefolds and covers. Then if you have another you have them or you can sell them.
    This is an excellent point, and probably the way I'll go.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"