September 2012 Moms

Accommodating house guests -- does this make sense

I love our townhouse, and it's big enough for our family, but we don't have extra room for overnight guests. Short of offering up some coveted floor space, the best I can do if we have one person stay with us is put DS on the floor in DD's room and give up his twin bed for the night. We have a finished basement, but don't have a sleeper sofa down there. I'm wondering if it would make sense, when we move DD from the crib to a bed, to get something like this Pottery Barn bed, so we'd have another option if we have overnight guests. Or if it's silly to worry about anything beyond our typical everyday scenario. Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Accommodating house guests -- does this make sense

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I don't think of twin beds making house guests beds. I would get a full or queen in one of the kids rooms. We have a queen in Leo's room and he sleeps in the PNP in our closet when we have guests.

We have also put an air mattress on the floor in the playroom.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• DS has a full size bed in his room.  When we have guests over they sleep in there and DS sleeps on a blow up bed in DD's room.  I would love to get a full in DD's room, but the room is just not big enough so she will have to get a twin when she is out of her crib.  The twin could still be used for a guest if we needed it and the kids could sleep in my room or the finished basement on the blow up beds.
    imageLilypie - (ztG7)
  • Loading the player...
  • hmp1 said:
    I don't think of twin beds making house guests beds. I would get a full or queen in one of the kids rooms. We have a queen in Leo's room and he sleeps in the PNP in our closet when we have guests.

@hmp1, if I went with something like the one I linked, the bottom bed would be a full. I have used air mattresses, but I think people are not impressed, lol, because they find reasons not to stay with us again.

• melody921 said:
    hmp1 said:

@hmp1, if I went with something like the one I linked, the bottom bed would be a full. I have used air mattresses, but I think people are not impressed, lol, because they find reasons not to stay with us again.
    you say this like it's a bad thing....
    HAHA, I suppose it's not. I just feel bad that we can't accommodate relatives.

• I'd opt for a sofa sleeper in the basement. It'll be great for when the kids get older and want sleep overs. I'm assuming the finished basement has a play area?

Btw that is the bed I want to get DS when he gets older but without the extra bed underneath. Love that darn bed.

• I would go with a full or bigger bed in one of the kids' rooms for guests.  DH thinks we need a fourth bedroom for guests, but I think this is a better solution.  I'm with Cheese, I don't think people not wanting to stay with us is a bad thing at all.
  • We have opted for nice(ish) air mattresses for our guests. I feel it gives them the feeling that 'we are so happy to see you, but don't stay too long', we also move our weight bench so they have a 'room'. I am not a huge fan of having guests so my take on the situation might be different
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our guest room is small. It has a daybed with a trundle that pulls up to match the other bed. I bought a spacer thingy to make it a seemless king. It works pretty well and I love that it still gives us space to use the room when no one is here. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Either a full or a twin with a pull out trundle bed that can make it a "king" when pulled out.  Or a sofa sleeper.  Or don't worry about it, ha, I would love to tell all house guests SORRY BUT NO!  haha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Our guest room is small. It has a daybed with a trundle that pulls up to match the other bed. I bought a spacer thingy to make it a seemless king. It works pretty well and I love that it still gives us space to use the room when no one is here. 
    I wish we had a guest room; then this wouldn't even be an issue. Our basement has an area with the TV/sofa (just not a sleeper right now), a play area/corner across from it with the treadmill and a separate room with a door where the dog's crate is. There's a half-bath down there as well.

• I'd get a nice air mattress that you can set up in your living room or basement or whatever, and make it clear to people asking to stay over that that's what you can offer them.  Unless you have elderly or infirm guests who can't get up off the floor, I think an air mattress is reasonable to offer people who stay over.

Eventually, if you find you have guests a lot, I'd probably consider investing in a sleeper sofa for the basement.  But I do think it's kind of silly to spend a lot or worry a lot about something that's nowhere near the norm for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"