November 2014 Moms

Bumpers?

So Im genuinely confused about something...Ive read that blankets and bumpers in a crib before a first birthday pose a suffocation/strangulation risk to infants. However, anytime I browse through crib bedding, there is a bumper option.  Do people still buy these?  Are they not really a risk?  Are you planning on buying a bumper for your LOs crib?  
#FTMProblems
BabyFetus Ticker
EDD 11.16.14 :)

Re: Bumpers?

• klc31883klc31883 member
    edited April 2014
    We used the breathable kind.  Yes, the regular kind can pose a lot of risk, to me it wasn't worth the risk and fear of something bad happening. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The ones you see in nursery pictures are for aesthetic value. Yes, it has been known for bumpers and pillows to be suffocating hazards. I buy the breathable mesh bumpers. They come in a few different colors. They've worked for us, for both kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • They are unsafe. They are cute but unsafe. I don't get why the sets come with them.... But there are a lot of things sold for babies that aren't safe.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not buying them. 

• Our nursery set came with normal bumpers and we didn't want to use them so we reused the fabric for other things. We planned on buying the breathable ones if we needed them but DD isn't a thrasher so never did.

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• We didn't use bumpers at all in the beginning, but did buy some when DS was around 6 months-ish, when he was rolling around like crazy and whacking his head on the crib rails.  And then I actually had to buy another set (I bought both used, which I recommend - they're ridiculously expensive new) to wrap around the top just after DS turned one because he was literally chewing chunks of wood out of it.  So yes, there are definitely good reasons to have bumpers, even if not at first!
    imageimage

• We don't use a bumper. The most annoying thing I find is that the soothers fall out of the crib. I'll take that over the risk though.
  • Mesh Bumpers?  See, hadn't heard about this!  Problem solved!  Thanks ladies!!!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • We used the bumpers - not the breathable ones - but we also didn't move him to his crib until he was nearly 6 months old (prior to that he was in a pack-n-play in our room).  I wasn't planning to, but DS tosses and turns.  I had also seen him on several occasions pick his head up and adjust (while he was sleeping) when his airway had become blocked so I was confident that he would be alright.  It's not for everyone but he's nearing two now and they are still there and I'm thankful for them.  

I definitely wouldn't start your newborn in the crib with the non-breathable bumpers.  Not all infants will pick their head up in their sleep and adjust.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Just because something is sold doesn't mean it is safe. We didn't use bumpers for DS, not using for this baby either. Fitted sheet & a crib skirt is still cute, and much safer!

(Just a tangent, also with "sold doesn't mean safe", after market car seat add-ons are also a no-no. Like the cute strap covers, infant positioners, etc. If it didn't come with the car seat and isn't sold by the same manufacturer your seat is from, don't use it. No 3rd party add-ons between baby and the seat or straps.)
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used the breathable bumper. Never the solid ones.

• ManateearmzManateearmz member
    edited April 2014
    Lurking from Dec 14.

We used the breathable ones until DD was about a year. She started being a maniac in her sleep and would bang her head on the bars and cry because it woke her up, I replaced the breathable ones with the ones that came with the set for this reason. Only after she was over a year old and had no problems moving around on her own. Then when she was 18 months and teething I folded them over the top of her crib rail to keep her from chewing off the top of her crib.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• My first two ended up using a bumper once they were rolling. They had a tendency to hit their heads and get their legs stuck in the slats. My 3rd never had problems with that so she never used one. The bedding sets are adorable with them but I won't be buying one unless I think it's needed after baby is 6+ months.
    DD1 8.2008 | DD2 1.2010 | DD3 6.2012 | Baby #4 EDD 11.6.2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No bumpers here.  We use a slumber sheet so there is no need for blanket either.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • No bumpers here - just not worth the risk.  He is a really sound sleeper and doesn't roll around a lot though.  If after 6-8 months he had started to roll, I would have considered adding them.  His bink does fall out almost every night though.  He learned pretty quickly to go back to sleep with out it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Didn't have bumpers. No need. I bought the mesh bumpers when he got his leg stuck a couple of times but they were annoying and he just wanted to play with them. I returned them and he never got stuck again. Some states they are illegal to sell in (Maryland is one).
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• We started using the breathable ones for DD after she started getting her legs and arms stuck between the slats. If she didn't have that problem we wouldn't have used any.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We didn't use them until she started rolling around and got her legs and arms through the bars and couldn't figure out how to free herself. At that point we got the breathable. When she started using them to climb, I took them out and she was fine.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • My spazztastic kids would repeatedly bang their heads into the bars of the crib in their sleep, so we ended up putting the bumpers in around 6 months.
  • mb314mb314 member
    We skipped them.  Once (and only once) DS' leg got caught between the bars, but he cried and I was able to easily dislodge it.  No big deal.  I also swaddled DS until he was like 7 or 8 months so we didn't have much problem with him moving around. 

• We didn't use them in the beginning, but neither kid slept in the crib the first 5months anyways. When dd started really moving around she got her arm and leg stuck through the bars and was crying for someone to come free her. That's when we put the bumpers on. We figured she was so mobile, rolling around in her sleep, that she was past the point of worrying about bumpers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yeah, I didn't see the need to get a bedding set.  You can't use the bumpers and the blankets usually feel horrible (and you can't use those either).

We started with just fitted sheets.  Around 6 months, she went through a spat of getting her arms and legs stuck, so we got breathable bumpers.  Took those off before she was a year.  

We also used sleep sacks once we stopped swaddling.  I'm kind of sad she's refused to go back in a sack after the summer.  I liked knowing she'd stay warm all night... now she kicks off her blankets and wakes up because she's too cold.  (She's 2 now, so there's no worry).  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I didn't see the need to get a bedding set.  You can't use the bumpers and the blankets usually feel horrible (and you can't use those either).

We started with just fitted sheets.  Around 6 months, she went through a spat of getting her arms and legs stuck, so we got breathable bumpers.  Took those off before she was a year.  

We also used sleep sacks once we stopped swaddling.  I'm kind of sad she's refused to go back in a sack after the summer.  I liked knowing she'd stay warm all night... now she kicks off her blankets and wakes up because she's too cold.  (She's 2 now, so there's no worry).  
    You can hang the blanket on the wall for decoration. That's what we did. It turned out really cute.

imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD Born 11.27.2011
    BFP 9.19.2013 - EDD 6.1.2014 - MMC @ 8 weeks 3 days

• ccamccam member
    We didn't buy a bedding set for DS. We did have a breathable bumper but never ended up using it.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"