Trouble TTC
Options

3 mature follies...advice!?

Hi everyone!  Went to the RE today for my CD12 u/s and had 2 mature follies (21 and 24) and one on it's way to being mature @ 16mm.  RE said it should be mature by the time O occurs.  Anyways...I'm just wondering with 3 mature follies and the trigger shot, is there a bigger chance for multiples?  Do some people only get 1 mature egg and then 1 fertilized egg?  At this rate I would obviously be grateful for as many fertilized eggs as I can get and will not be picky!  This is the first time I have ever been monitored on Clomid (ridiculous I know) and also my dose was upped from 50mg to 100mg.  I just want it to work so badly!!!!   

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
March-Switched to RE
April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

Re: 3 mature follies...advice!?

• Options
    MissEm15MissEm15 member
    edited April 2014

Does your DH have a normal SA? It's hard to give advice bc you weren't monitored to know how many follicles you had before. I'd obviously go for it now, but we are MFI & I've had two previous IUIs. I think if were my first IUI tho, we probably would have cancelled w/ more than 2. We were terrified of twins when we started.

**pregnancy mentioned (not mine)

My friend's second IUI w/ two follicles got her pregnant w/ twins. However there are a lot of ladies here who have done IUI's w/ three and four mature follicles and nothing. You need to feel comfortable w/ the outcome either way, best case & worst case.

Edit: I hope I don't sound preachy.. we just ended up w/ 5 follicles and I had to decide to TI or nothing. I was so stressed for the whole week after, but now I feel like I made the right decision. So I know exactly where you are coming from on being torn on what to do.

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Basically if you have three mature follies, all three have a chance at being fertilized and implanting so you do have a higher chance of multiples.  If I were in your shoes I would be hesitant/nervous to move forward with three mature follies, because you have not been monitored in the past.  I was really happy this first cycle that we only ended up with one mature because I am terrified of multiples.  If we had several monitored cycles that fail, then I think I would be more willing to go ahead with more follies.

Unfortunately it's a tough decision that you and YH have to makes. As long as you are well educated on the risks of a pregnancy with multiples and accept them, and your RE is ok with moving forward then, then I wish you lots of luck on this cycle!!!

Me (29): Hashimoto's, CD3/7DPO bloodwork & ultrasound normal, HSG & SHG(x2) all clear
    DH (29): SA Perfect
    TTC Since Jan '13, First RE Appt Jan '14
    DX: Unspecified Ovarian Dysfunction, Long Cycles
    May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
    Apr '14:  50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #1=BFP,  Natural M/C 6.5wks
    Aug '14: 50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #2=BFN
    Oct '14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI#3 =BFN
    Nov 14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI#4=slow response, bad lining, cancelled
    FU with RE, more bloodwork: Anticardiolipin +
    Dec 14: 5mg Letrozole+baby aspirin +ovidrel + B2B IUI#4.1=BFFN
    Jan '15: 5mg Letrozole +baby aspirin + ovidrel +B2B IUI #5= BFP!! 
    Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes the chances are higher, but I have had multiple IUIs with 3 follies and have yet to get a BFP. I guess it depends. My DH has minor motility issues but nothing that is a problem after the sperm wash.

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • Options
    I has 4 mature follicles and one at 12.5 on my CD 12 with 100mg of Clomid, they stopped counting at that point. We cancelled our IUI and used protection on my RE's advice, until we'll after ovulation was confirmed. Multiple pregnancies are super risky, like Naria mentioned so you do have to take that into consideration. We didn't want to risk it especially since it was only our first cycle.
    BabyFruit Ticker'>*
    TTC #1 since January 2012  Dx: Unexplained infertility & hypothyroidism 
    8/13 BFP!    EDD:  April 25, 2014
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies.  The crazy thing about this is that my RE didn't even suggest cancelling this cycle or even warn me of the possibilities of multiples.  If it wasn't for my googling and talking with you ladies, I would have no idea that 3 mature follies could lead to multiples!

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
    DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
    2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
    November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
    February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
    March-Switched to RE
    April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
    July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
    August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"