November 2014 Moms

OB/Midwife

How long do you usually wait for your doctor?
I really like my practice for the most part but I always hang out in the waiting room for at least half an hour and then another 15-30 once they take me back. I always leave starving and cranky :(

I really wanted a more personal experience with a midwife this time rather than being bounced around to whoever is available, and whoever is on call will deliver. Unfortunately the closest midwife hat delivers is almost an hour away...so here I sit...

What is your checkup experience usually like?

Re: OB/Midwife

• Just a few minutes in a cozy waiting room full of books. I love my new midwifery clinic. It's too bad you don't have access to that. :(
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• @moroccojade‌ I'm so jealous! I was hoping I just had it in my head that a midwifery clinic would be full of rainbows and warm fuzzies.
    Maybe it would be worth the drive?
  • Loading the player...
  • abbyfulabbyful member
    edited April 2014
    I go to an OB office. I usually only have to wait 5-10 minutes from when I check in, they usually call me back right at my appt time, sometimes a few minutes early. Only once in a while do I have to wait very long. (Went to same OB when pregnant with DS.)

I don't think wait time is a midwife vs OB issue, I think it just depends on the scheduling habits of the individual clinic.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I see a midwife and I never wait unless I am early.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • I usually wait 15-20min from after I've checked in for my ob.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• I love my OB clinic. I've only ever waited to see my doc. for a significant amount of time once, my very first visit. She was delivering so there was about a 45 minute wait, but I was happy she took the time to deliver her own patient. Since then I've have dozens of visits and never wait more than 15 minutes. Once I've been checked in, it's usually about 10 minutes, but that's about how long the nurses take to do their thing (blood pressure, blood draws, ect.).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been with the same OB office for 3 pregnancies now. Average id say 5mins in the waiting room, 10mins in the back. But there are certainly times where I've waited an hour. Sometimes things come up, a lot of women go into labor and doctors are called over to the hospital. It also varies based on appointment time. If you schedule first thing in the morning or first thing after lunch, there's much shorter wait. Last appointment of the day and you're waiting awhile. One time I wondered if they forgot about me and all went home lol. So I'd say, if you can try to schedule early morning or early afternoon appointments.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see a midwife and never wait more than a few minutes in the lobby.  She's the one that comes and gets me and we go straight into my appointment, so no waiting in the exam room.

I used to an OBGYN for my annual woman's wellness and it was usually about 15 minutes in the lobby and another 10-15 in the exam room.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sarahbeth612Sarahbeth612 member
    edited April 2014
    That's the weird thing, it doesn't matter what day or time I always wait about 45 minutes...ugh..
    But GOOD NEWS is we still have a heartbeat and I will be 10 weeks tomorrow! So I am past my previous loss and things are looking hopeful!!
  • I have had 2 appointments so far,  both in different offices  (same group of doctors though)   Both times I was either on time,  or early for my appt.    the first one,  I waited almost 45 minutes,  the 2nd time I waited a half hour.    

I hope its not like this every time......but its not looking good so far.  

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• mb314mb314 member
    I don't wait long - just a few minutes.  I try to schedule my appointments first thing in the morning, and I think that helps with wait time.  30 minutes is ridiculous.  I do sometimes wait like 5 to 10 minutes between seeing the nurse for weight/blood pressure check and seeing, the midwife, but I think that's normal.

I see a midwife group, and I do love them.  However, my midwife group is like an OB group in that I have a primary midwife, but she is not necessarily the person to deliver me.  When I go to the hospital, I will be assigned whoever is on call.  Towards the end of my pregnancy, they will have me make appointments with the other midwives so I at least meet them. 

• I also see a midwife, and my office is about a half hour drive from where I live.  It is worth it though.  There are seven midwives in the office but now that I am on my third pregnancy with them I am willing to see who ever is available for my appointments.  My wait is never unbearable, but once in a while waiting to be called back to the lab for blood work can get long.
  • Wicked22 said:

My gyno is also my ob and I've been with his office for about 7 years now. They have amazing wait times, it's 5 mins usually and I'm always in and out but never feel rushed. The only time I ever had to wait was because of a unexpected delivery and they asked up front if I wanted to wait or be rescheduled.

Pretty much this. Only I've been seeing mine for a lot longer than 7 years and I've only had to wait because of a delivery twice. Once was during an annual and they said I could wait or reschedule for later that week. The second time was actually my first OB appt this time. They said the same as above and also gave me the option of seeing another dr. We just waited. Normally I wait no longer than 5 minutes to go back to a room and the same or less for her to come in.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What about trying to find an OB that runs a sole practice ? That's where I am now and I rarely wait and my OB even does most of my ultrasounds. Only way she's not delivering me is if she's out of town which she's told me she won't be.

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• My MW office is awesome. I love it!! Short wait and super cozy and yeah kinda like cupcakes and sprinkles.

My ob was very clinic like, quiet and cold feeling.

• @moroccojade‌ I'm so jealous! I was hoping I just had it in my head that a midwifery clinic would be full of rainbows and warm fuzzies. Maybe it would be worth the drive?
    The few that I have experienced have been wonderful.  Family friendly, but almost spa-like.  I always feel like I am floating when I leave.  

I am being cared for by a team of 4 midwives this time.  (3 last time.)  I will see them all equally, and one of them is guaranteed to be there when I deliver.  I like getting to know the different MWs.  They all have something unique to bring to various appointments. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• I'm kind of torn. It seems like this long of a wait shouldn't happen every time...I know it's a very popular office but its getting old.
    Also when I was in labor with DD, I had a doctor I was very comfortable with the entire time. His shift ended at 7pm, and this super hottie doctor came walking in just in time for me to deliver at 7:13. Awkward.
    There are 4 nurse practitioners and 7 doctors. So I won't get to really know any of them. I do like the idea of a smaller practice @sunflwra‌
    but I also hate having to start over :/
  • My OB is my gyno and I'd say the AVERAGE wait is about 20 minutes, but I've been waiting for an hour before. I've heard it's because he delivers his own babies (he's the only doctor in the practice), but who knows. I'm happy with them, though, and my friend said that's about standard for OBs in our area. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have never had to wait. But I go to a home birth midwife.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • midwives are great! It is just us in a waiting room. Lots of books and toys for children. Maybe 10 minutes at the most we wait. Then our midwife comes out and gets us and we go to her office. Very relaxe, nice couch to sit on while she asks her questions and we ask ours. there is a seperate exam room for all the "fun" stuff. 
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with one of the posters (I scrolled back and couldn't find it) that it's not really a midwives vs. OB things, it depends more on how your OB/midwife schedules appointments.  Like if they schedule appointments 5 minutes apart, you're going to be waiting forever!

I don't usually have to wait at my midwives office, but if I do I don't mind because I know it means they are devoted to each patient and taking their time to discuss something with them.  My midwife appointments always last at least half an hour, which I think is probably the biggest difference between them and OBs, who I understand (not having been under OB care before) to have much shorter appointment times.
    imageimage

• I just re-read my post and wanted to clarify - I don't mean that OBs aren't dedicated to their patients, I think they just have a much larger volume of patients and so don't have as much time to be able to meet with each one.
    imageimage

• My midwife team is always on time. The appointments last one hour. All three midwives will be present at my birth, it's not an "on call" practice.

It's very warm fuzzies in there. And I can bring DS I don't need to get a sitter. Last time they rescheduled one of my appointments due to a birth. Occasionally one of the junior midwives would be away, but the senior midwife was always present.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"