Baby Showers

I have NO idea! HELP!

MaladroitMaladroit member
edited April 2014 in Baby Showers
So, until now, I've been passing on the shower idea - mostly because I'm socially awkward and more of an introvert.  My bridal shower seemed awkward and I don't really like baby shower games.  I do, secretly, really want one.  Mostly, I just want people to be excited about me FINALLY being pregnant and having this baby - not so much for the gifts aspect.  On the other hand, we spent practically all our savings MAKING baby that it would be a huge help if people did bring gifts.  Here's the deal, I have no idea where to start and don't know who would even throw me one.  I just want a fun, small/medium grill out, chatty-time/catch-up/hang-out, where people may/may not bring presents.  My other idea was a sip n' see after baby is born where we just have brunch/mimosas and people and oooh and ahhh over baby - but I'm a bit of a germaphobe.  You see my dilemma?  I'm not NEEDING presents or even requesting people bring them unless they want to, I just want to celebrate (most people don't know how hard it was for us to have this baby) and have food.  Thoughts PLEASE!  Where do I start?!?!
Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am

Re: I have NO idea! HELP!

• DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited April 2014
    I would go for a shower if anyone offers. (I'm a huge germaphobe. It took me several months before I was comfortable with anyone coming in the house. And not up for cleaning or hosting anything still.) My mom hosted my shower and she asked me what I wanted along the way which I was very grateful for. Also, I had one at the office. People tend to drag thier feet on offering in my experience. 1-2 months before birth typically (later than ideal for a nesting mommy). Just be patient. Register while you have the energy (I only made it down 1 aisle of BRU before I was too tired to continue @ 8 mo. Did the rest online.) and then drop hints to close friends and family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • A shower is not up to you, because if someone throws one for you, it is a gift for you.

A sip and see is up to you. So the only thing here that you need to worry about is if you will choose to host a sip and see or not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MaladroitMaladroit member
    edited April 2014
    Got the picture, thanks.  I didn't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, I thought by clarifying that I didn't NEED the presents or even want people to bring them (just that it would be much appreciated) meant that I would not put a registry or ask for gifts on the invite.  I get that a lot of people have trouble getting pregnant, but it was a big deal for DH and I and I don't think it's out of line to want to celebrate a baby with our friends and family - we are 30 and have professional careers, after all.  I didn't mean to come across as saying I only want a certain type of baby shower, just that I don't have a lot of expectations, I'm pretty low-maintenance, not picky, and would be grateful for any shower that someone would throw me, but it doesn't seem like anyone will step forward.  The two people I thought might, are busy planning a wedding and studying for a big exam - I wouldn't ask them to put what they're doing on hold to plan a baby shower for me - their obligations are far more important.  I do see all your points and it has been dually noted - it's not socially acceptable to throw my own shower.  That's why I asked first and I'm glad I did.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There is nothing wrong with celebrating.  Just because you are pregnant that doesn't mean you can't have a BBQ or whatever.  Maybe have a toast or a special cake to celebrate the baby.  However, do not, I repeat do not, say the word "baby" when mentioning the BBQ.  You do not want to confuse people and make them think they are obligated to bring a gift.  Just let them find out about the baby related stuff when they get there.  

• I wasn't saying it made our baby any more special, I was implying that we don't need the gifts, we mostly have everything except the small stuff (like shampoo and Halos) - also we have a lot of busy friends who would rather have a get together for drinks than play games at a baby shower.  That was all I meant.  I will not throw my own shower...heard everyone loud and clear.  I will probably just get over my issue with germs and do a sip n' see.  I think people would be happier being able to see the baby, rather than just me and my belly.
  • As sad as it sounds, I know too many people (primarily pregnant teenagers) that depend on the baby shower for taking care of their kid so I can see where the OP is coming from.  

Just don't your own shower, please.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Accept a shower or don't have one.

I have to tell you a "Sip n' See" sounds lovely in theory. In reality the idea of hosting an event in the first two months of my new baby's life sounds horrific.

You still feel like poop & you aren't sleeping. Add the cooking, cleaning & general use of your brain...newp.

I was fried for a good month after birth. Autopilot was in full effect.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• NLJ82NLJ82 member

If someone offers to host you a shower then accept and if you have no one that's willing to host one....then YOU host one to celebrate this life you've created. WHOA! NO SHE DIDN'T! GIFT GRABBY WHORE!

Yea, that's ridiculous...you most certainly can throw your own shower. (obviously i'm not a frequent poster here and share none of these opinions. I can feel the flames from here). If it's something you want and you don't have anyone to do it....do it. However, being the introvert you are, if it's not something you really want...then I would just forget about it all together. You could always just say "I don't want to throw a shower, but we do need gifts"....but then you'd be a terrible person lol.

Good Luck!

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    edited May 2014
    MrsFinni said:

If someone offers to host you a shower then accept and if you have no one that's willing to host one....then YOU host one to celebrate this life you've created. WHOA! NO SHE DIDN'T! GIFT GRABBY WHORE!

Yea, that's ridiculous...you most certainly can throw your own shower. (obviously i'm not a frequent poster here and share none of these opinions. I can feel the flames from here). If it's something you want and you don't have anyone to do it....do it. However, being the introvert you are, if it's not something you really want...then I would just forget about it all together. You could always just say "I don't want to throw a shower, but we do need gifts"....but then you'd be a terrible person lol.

Good Luck!

QFP You must be new here. Have fun with @Bliss+Berry‌ & @Meery82‌ !

No shame lol. As I said, This is maybe my second time posting here. I'm not looking for drama, just offering my opinion. My mom and best friends are actually throwing me a shower but are including me on all the plans and ideas. It's really fun :)

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    =))

• NLJ82 said:

Good Luck!

Ewwwwwwwwww

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"