September 2012 Moms
Options

Travel and Babysitter

So, we are attending my cousin's wedding in Pittsburgh in June...neither my cousin nor his finacee live in Pittsburgh, but that's where the bride is originally from. We are assuming that children are not invited, but we are planning to travel with DD anyway, as DH doesn't want to leave her behind. That means we need to find a babysitter for her while we're at the wedding on Saturday night. My other cousin, the groom's sister, has a 9 month old who will also need a babysitter, so we were thinking we'd put the kiddos together.

What would you do about finding a babysitter? Use Care.com or something like that? Try to find an inn or hotel with babysitting services (does that even exist)? Hope the bride knows someone that she loves but doesn't love enough to invite to the wedding? How do you make sure that your babysitters aren't toddler-stealing weirdos? Background checks? Reference checks? Anything I am forgetting?

I'm also stressing slightly about the hotel situation. We usually rent a house...but apparently that's not possible in Pittsburgh. The thought of getting DD to nap while we're in the room with her is dreadful. I'm picturing DH and I sitting outside the door, sharing a bottle of minifridge wine in a hotel hallway for 3.5 hours.

Re: Travel and Babysitter

• Options
    Does the bride have family in the area? I would start there and see if any of her relitives have a babysitter they use. As far as the hotel, can you get a suite? If not we put DD's pack n play in the bathroom when we were in Hawaii, it worked well for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good call on the suite...I need to see what's available...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we got married keagan was 20 months. We hired one of my brothers female friends (17 yrs old) to help with the kids that day. Keagan didn't sit through the ceremony, and none of our family wanted to miss it. I left the reception to put him to bed, and then she hung out in the sitting room (we had a suite) while I went back to the reception.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    Is the wedding at her family church? I would see if they have a nursery teacher that you can contact. Bonus if she could open the nursery during the ceremony and then come to the hotel to end the night. Otherwise, I would use a service that does background checks.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    Is the wedding at her family church? I would see if they have a nursery teacher that you can contact. Bonus if she could open the nursery during the ceremony and then come to the hotel to end the night. Otherwise, I would use a service that does background checks.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    That is a great idea, if that doesn't work perhaps someone from the church could give you a recomendation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Is there someone who could travel with you to be the babysitter? That's what we did when my brother got married. I paid for a friend's room, and she took DS back to the room after the ceremony. Otherwise, I'd check with the bride to see if she knows someone reliable she could recommend.

• Options
    Ditto to having someone travel with you, if it's possible.  Also ditto to the suite.  It's the only way we travel these days.  

Make sure when you're looking at suites that they have a door separating the two rooms.  We found a lot of hotels that call it a suite, but it's an open doorway.  There's no way our kids would sleep well if they can still see us.

When we went to NYC to a no-kids allowed wedding, we brought my sister.  She stayed with us and watched DS1 when we went to the wedding.  Plus it was nice to have another set of hands during the vacation.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I second seeing if you can bring someone with that she knows.  If Penny's anything like Nancy, Nancy would have a complete fit if we left her with a stranger.  She takes a little while to warm up.  If you're travelling with someone that she already knows, it will probably ease frustration for all of you. 

Good luck!!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Thanks, ladies. We talked about bringing my MIL, but I can't afford the plane ticket at the moment. I DID make sure that we got a suite with a door to the bedroom though - no question on that one.

So, DH is really freaking out about leaving Penny with someone we don't know. I think the bride will have a few babysitters lined up since there are four one to two year olds that need babysitting, so I'm hoping that DH will be okay with that. Our other option at this point is to leave her at home, which *I* really don't want to do. :(
  • Options
    Does your MiL have any frequent flier miles she can cash in on? If you do leave her behind, it will be a fun little mini vaca with your H!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    I wish! She's not exactly a frequent traveler...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"