September 2012 Moms

Going back in time..crib question..

crene84crene84 member
edited April 2014 in September 2012 Moms
Hope you don't mind.  DS' birth month board is never as responsive.

With DD, I put her in the crib at 5 months and she was already STTN (on her tummy) for like 12 hours..no issues.  But with DS, I have not been able to transfer him yet.  I've tried some naps, and even one night time, but he immediately wakes up and rolls over..gets upset and cries.  I am not real comfortable putting him on his tummy from the start yet as I don't feel he's as strong as DD was at 5 months, but I did try it for a nap once to see what he'd do.  He woke up after only a few minutes upset.

So, he does night time in his rock n play and nap time in his swing.  I am not thrilled with this since he's 5 months old and I know it isn't the recommended way for them to sleep.  

Did any of you have this problem?  If so, did you just make them get used to the crib even if it meant no sleep for you (and baby) for a while?  Or did there naturally come a point where they were happy sleeping on their tummy and that's when you transferred?

Thanks soo much!
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Going back in time..crib question..

• watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited April 2014
    With DD1 we got her used to naps in the crib first- it was a struggle, since she wasn't as used to sleeping flat, so sounds a bit like your DS.  Once she napped in the crib without waking up and crying after a couple minutes, we had her sleep there for the night.  It might actually be easier to try him in there for the night though, since they seem to get to sleep more deeply when they go down for the night.  Not sure that helps, just wanted to say it's a common transition to struggle with.

DD2 will be 5 months on the 30th.  We still have her in the pnp in our room, and are waiting for DD1's twin mattress to arrive.  I don't know which transition to dread more, but we'll probably get DD1 settled into the twin before we try to move DD2 over to the crib.  Ugh, I sense some sleepless nights in my future!

ETA: I didn't put her down on her tummy until she rolled there on her own- just got her used to the crib with persistence!
  • Have you tried swaddling & rolling up receiving blankets & tucking them on either side of him? Basically trying to mimic the snugness of the RNP/swing in the crib.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We moved from the rnp to the pnp at 5months. She was still in our room because her crib was upstairs and still woke multiple times a night for her pacifier. I tried to do naps in the pnp before transition with no luck so I just stopped cold turkey. Then transitioned to crib at 7.5mo.
  • Yea...DS will fall asleep flat if he's really tired playing on the floor or something, but it's rare.  I think it's mostly because of rolling over, having extra space, etc.  When playing, he rolls over almost instantly and then seems frustrated most times (even though he does know how to roll back over, not sure why he doesn't more often)..

I read that you shouldn't try to prevent them from rolling over with a wedge, blankets, etc because of SIDS but I've thought about it.  

Our Little Miracle
  • When we transitioned dd from the RNP she hated that the crib was flat so I rolled a towel and put it under the mattress so it was at an angle. Then every few days I unrolled the towel a bit so the mattress slowly got lowered to a flat surface. It worked great, we didn't have an issue with her in the crib once we did that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think he cares about the angle so much as it's just that if he's flat and has space, he'll roll over and then he gets upset.  The only thing to prevent that is the wedge/blankets around him idea, but then why not just leave him in the RNP? Hmm..

Our Little Miracle
  • DD could never be put in the crib asleep, she had to fall asleep in there on her own, I want to say we started trying around 5 months. As far as naps went she napped in the swing until 9 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't read all the responses. We eventually did CIO around 7 months to get him sleeping in his crib consistently, we just kind of winged it until then. I would start with naps.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • crene84 said:
    I don't think he cares about the angle so much as it's just that if he's flat and has space, he'll roll over and then he gets upset.  The only thing to prevent that is the wedge/blankets around him idea, but then why not just leave him in the RNP? Hmm..

This will get him in the environment. Extended swaddle really did help with the crib transition. Bosha had excellent advice.

• crene84crene84 member
    When we transitioned dd from the RNP she hated that the crib was flat so I rolled a towel and put it under the mattress so it was at an angle. Then every few days I unrolled the towel a bit so the mattress slowly got lowered to a flat surface. It worked great, we didn't have an issue with her in the crib once we did that.
    Thank you by the way!  He is now in the crib!  I put two towels under it for a few nights and took one out last night. I'll take the other one out soon.  Great suggestion, yay!

Our Little Miracle
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"