March 2014 Moms

Ameda pump sucks

Or rather it doesn't suck :(

I got an Ameda purely yours through my insurance and I'm getting very little output, maybe 1-2 oz per breast. When I use my Medela PISA that I used with DS I get twice that.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting what I'm doing wrong? I just don't feel like the suction is strong enough.

Also, on a few occasions the suction part has just stopped in the middle of a session and it makes a weird high pitched sound. I'm going to call customer service to see if they will replace. Just wondering of anyone else had the same problem.

Re: Ameda pump sucks

• I also got the Ameda Purely Yours from insurance and don't seem to have any problems with it, but have nothing to compare it to since I am a FTM. I would call, maybe they will send you a new PISA :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • memo9memo9 member
    Mine works well too.  I've gotten up to 12oz in a session.  Sounds like you got a dud!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate mine. Same problems. Since I don't know how long I plan on pumping, I haven't spent the money on a PISA yet. I switched to a Medela hand pump and it does a better job.

I've heard that a bunch of people have problems. And when Ameda cranked up production for ACA, quality went down.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • memo9memo9 member
    MadApple said:
    I used an Ameda Purely Yours with y son, and I had no problems. I'm using a PISA this time, and like it better, but I don't think I'm getting more than I did with the Ameda.

With my Ameda, I tried to mimic the two-phase pumping that the Medelas use. Have you tried that?
    Good question... how do you actually pump?
  • I start on medium suction and fast speed and if I can get a letdown, I switch to max suction and medium speed. Even max suction doesn't feel like enough. I've tried different flange sizes and replaced the membranes but it hasn't helped.

I did call customer service and they are sending me a new pump. I hope I just got a dud.
  • I'm so glad it's not just me! The hospital gave me an Ameda and, so far, I hate it! My output was so much better last time with the medela PISA. Are you all calling Ameda customer service or your insurance member services?
    DD born 1/16/11
    #2 It's a Boy! EDD 3/23/14
  • memo9memo9 member
    @madapple that's pretty much exactly what I do!  I try my baby's actual sucking pattern.

@jrw526 I personally think the suction is stronger with a slower speed.  Maybe try that for the time being. 
  • MA&CBMA&CB member
    With my first, I had bought a lansinoh which was made by Ameda and had the same motor as the Ameda.  It was awful!  I could barely get anything out of it, the suction was terrible.  They replaced all the parts and it was still awful.  Thankfully insurance eventually covered a PISA for medical reasons (this was before pumps were covered automatically), and it was like night and day between the medela and the lansinoh/ameda.  I never would have been able to pump for a year with the lansinoh.  I feel bad that the Ameda tricks people into getting it with their whole "closed system" pitch (why I bought the Lansinoh), but it's such an inferior pump compared to the medela.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My insurance covered the same pump and it has been okay, not super. I have been able to get 10-12oz with mine. I have notified if I am engorged at all I have to do some serious massaging of my ducts to get things rolling. I have more success when I pumped after nursing LO.
    textimage

• @natsmama‌ I called ameda. They shipped me a new pump and a return label so I can send my current one back.

If I have the same problems I will call my insurance. They cover a PISA, but I couldn't find a medical supply company that sold them in my area. In fact one business flat out told me I'd be hard pressed to find a medical supply company that would sell me the PISA through my insurance coverage because they are much more expensive.
  • thanks @jrw526 I'll give that a try. Good luck getting it all straightened out!
    DD born 1/16/11
    #2 It's a Boy! EDD 3/23/14
  • @natsmama @rockopera I got my new pump yesterday and it's like night and day.  There is actual suction and I was able to pump as much as I did with the PISA.  You might want to call Ameda and see if they will replace yours.
  • I have the Ameda Purely Yours pump too, from my insurance and IT SUCKS! Ughhh. I am so relieved to hear someone else fussing about it. It leaks air! So annoying. I have to keep unplugging the air piece and plugging it back in. And I'm lucky to get 2-3oz per breast per sitting. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @WisconsinCheese12‌ they sent me new membranes too. I used my old ones and the pump worked great.
  • I'd try to pump around the same time everyday about an hour after you last fed lo. It will take a few days for your body to get used to the pump. I'd say if you're getting a few oz per breast then it's probably working.

My issue was suction. You should be able to feel a pretty strong suction. With my Medela I was able to let go of the empty bottles once I turned on the machine and they stayed on my breasts. I have to hold them as they fill if im not using my pump ease pumping bra. With the Ameda the suction was minimal and the flanges would fall off constantly.

• MA&CBMA&CB member

With no other experience using another brand, how would I know it does work well? I can pump anywhere from half an ounce to two ounces at a time, not sure if its me or the pump.
    When I had the Lansinoh/Ameda, I would get about that much, but I knew I could pump more because I had used the hospital pump.  When I switched to the Medela, I was getting on average 6 ounces per session. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I knew it wasn't good when I could continue to hand express a whole lot after I seemed finished on the pump.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"