September 2014 Moms

18 Weeks Pregnant - Cramping and Lower back pain

Hello, I am 18 weeks pregnant and having some period-like symptoms in my pelvic and some lower back pain? Is this normal?  

Re: 18 Weeks Pregnant - Cramping and Lower back pain

• I was having this last night. I drank some water and put my feet up and felt much better. I get that way sometimes if I have over done it that day. I agree that you should call your doc if you're worried.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I get this when I am dehydrated.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try a heating pad and make sure you are active. I found when I was a couch potato my back pain was worse! Especially if the couch or mattress wasn't supportive enough. It did feel like period back pain but if you are cramping or bleeding call the professional.
  • Def call your dr if you are overly worried.  I will say though Im 18 weeks today and I felt like that on and off most of last week.

Ive talked to a lot of pregnant women who say they have felt achy and period cramping on and off most of their pregnancies.  My dr asked if the pain was really bad to the point I couldnt get  comfortable at all, and asked if I was bleeding.  The answer was no to both, she said I could come in if I wanted but she thought it was normal and was just uterine stretching.

As the others posted, drinking more water and trying a heating pad on low for 15 minutes here and there did help a bunch.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• I Felt this way yesterday coupled with shortness of breath and light headed-ness. I think I just needed to rest as after we saw the doctor I took a 4 hour nap.It did feel like my uterus was contracting. My Dr. said as long as it was random it was ok. If it became predictable in a pattern run the to the ER.

• I still get period like cramps occasionally and they're brief and happen more when I'm more active or not drinking as much water.

As for back pain, mine is more in the middle. I just had to adjust the way I sit and I'm usually okay. What will usually work for me is a small pillow behind my lower back (even on the couch). A massage from DH before bedtime is also helpful! 

• I had cramping that wouldnt go away last week. It was lasting a good hour or more, no bleeding but wasnt getting better. I went to doctor and found out i had a UTI. Doc said cramping is a sign of that. I had no other symptoms and was drinking a lot of water. I would just call doctor or ask the nurse
  • That happens to me if I over do it or am hydrated (pretty much what most of the posters said) but it's always smart to call anyway!
    <3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• Try a heating pad and make sure you are active. I found when I was a couch potato my back pain was worse! Especially if the couch or mattress wasn't supportive enough. It did feel like period back pain but if you are cramping or bleeding call the professional.

^This. Most of the unpleasant symptoms seem to rear up whenever I've been lazy for a couple days. Otherwise most of the pains and aches and all the other nasty symptoms stay away. Which sucks because I def feel like being lazy today! Hope you feel better and call your doc if symptoms get worse or you get too worried.

• I had this exact same thing this morning - wish I had seen your post and these responses.  I was worried and also called the doctor.  They said it didn't sound like preterm labor since it's wasn't unbearable and wasn't coming and going and there was no bleeding.  It's been a constant lower back and abdominal pain all day long.  I'm 20 weeks, so it must be stretching.  Feels like I'm getting my period.  Hope it goes away soon.  Thankfully baby has been moving around, which is reassuring.
  • Hi! This happened to me last week (17 weeks) and really freaked me out. I called the doctor and explained what was going on (period-like cramps and really bad lower back pain) and they told me that it was completely normal. I even had my regualr PCP check up, mentioned it to them, and they reassured me that everything was fine and completely normal. They did tell me to keep hydrated, as many of the other women on this site have been saying. The dr. told me 80 oz a day - wow!!! I started drinking more and then pains/cramping went away. If you're really nervous, I'd say call the doc - but try water first =) Good luck and feel better soon!
  • Def mention to your dr. I was feeling that way and I ended up having a uti.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"