September 2012 Moms
Options

Eating from the pantry

Has anyone done a challenge like this? I find I tend to buy random ingredients that get pushed far back in the pantry (or freezer), and I'm thinking it might be a good way to save on groceries for a bit and work down what's in the house. I still want things to taste good though, lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eating from the pantry

• Options
    I don't do anything official, but yes, I've done this.  Especially in winter.  We call it "Chopped--College Kitchen" and then try not to mock it while it's being eaten.

I also then realllllllly cut back on buying shit I don't need, so it's helpful.  We did this last in February and my canned food is basically still nill.  Unless I have a recipe I'm using it for, I don't buy it anymore.  I have no need to stock up on pasta, I just buy it every time I go to the store because that's what my Mom did when I was growing up.  It's silly.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    When I meal plan, I try to use the same ingredients in different ways to keep the pantry and fridge from being too full. I'm not a dooms day type person that needs a stockpile and don't like having a lot of food in the house.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do it every few weeks in the winter.  I start making random soups and casseroles to really clear the cupboards.  It can actually be a fun challenge sometimes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I need to try something like this because I have entirely too much in my freezers.  If I did it with my pantry we would eat jello every meal, because there is so much of it in my pantry.  

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    I need to try something like this because I have entirely too much in my freezers.  If I did it with my pantry we would eat jello every meal, because there is so much of it in my pantry.  
    ewww, Jell-O. We'd be eating pasta or rice or quinoa ad nauseum. It's so weird the stuff families acquire.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    ewww, Jell-O. We'd be eating pasta or rice or quinoa ad nauseum. It's so weird the stuff families acquire.
    Agreed!  My mom hates Jello but has a ton in her pantry.  For some reason I also have a ton in my pantry.  I think it is because I buy it thinking, I am going to make this and eat it instead of eating shit and then I remember when I get home that I can't make jello to save my life!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    We've been trying to cut back, so I've done something similar, but nothing official.  Just cleaned out the pantry, trying to save on groceries and cut back on what we have to move to the other house.  

I am less creative though so it would be great to try new things with them, but I usually turn back to the same casseroles.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    We'd be eating Jell-O pudding.  Seriously.  The fat free/sugar free stuff?  I stockpile it and make it all the time when I need something sweet and I actually have cool whip.  I also add it to my cookie batter. :-)

I haven't had actual Jell-O since I was in the hospital having Nancy.  It was orange.  I threw it up almost immediately.  I'll probably never eat orange jello again because of that.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    We'd be eating Jell-O pudding.  Seriously.  The fat free/sugar free stuff?  I stockpile it and make it all the time when I need something sweet and I actually have cool whip.  I also add it to my cookie batter. :-)

I haven't had actual Jell-O since I was in the hospital having Nancy.  It was orange.  I threw it up almost immediately.  I'll probably never eat orange jello again because of that.
    You just add the whole box in with the dry ingredients?

• Options
    I've never done it and don't think I'd be any good at it. I'm not a very good cook, and am not creative at all when it comes to cooking. I gotta have a recipe. I didn't learn to cook growing up because my mom was a horrible cook. I thought all food tasted bad. DH on the other hand is great and I've learned a lot from him.

imageimage 

• Options
    I don't have a pantry... I'm jealous of those of you who do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think my pantry is that extensive. I have a little of everything and I kind of like that. I do try and use and rotate but I like having stuff on hand. I'm terrible with freezer stuff though. I need to use freezer stuff better.
  • Options
    I don't think my pantry is that extensive. I have a little of everything and I kind of like that. I do try and use and rotate but I like having stuff on hand. I'm terrible with freezer stuff though. I need to use freezer stuff better.
    I suck at the freezer too. I think I need to get more creative with meals again. I love to cook, but we've fallen into a rut.

• Options
    I deviated from my meal plan last night and it was fun haha. I didn't defrost meat for stew. I only had Italian chicken sausage defrosted. So I made something up. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"