October 2014 Moms

A little red wine

2»

Re: A little red wine

• Aimee's Drunk Kitchen: Boozy French Toast: https://youtu.be/2xpSg7lTdkA

@ANGnJON‌ I only made two of them and this year I was pregnant. Here's some instant gratification and some major AWing on my part!

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• I have a glass every couple of weeks. Mmm Malbec. Also, new studies show that pregnant women who had a couple glasses a month ten to produce more mentally sound children compared to those of mothers who abstained completely. I don't think it's quite cause & effect, but I thought the findings were so interesting: https://t.today.com/moms/new-study-shows-no-harm-moderate-drinking-pregnancy-experts-urge-2D11849699 And this one: https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/pregnant-moms-drink-wine-healthier-study-article-1.1512961 Sorry everything is mashed together, the website doesn't seem to register "next line" from the iPad.
    Little Lady born 5.11.11
    Tied the Knot 1.5.13
    #2 due 10.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • This is one of those things where theoretically the evidence supports light consumption and I have no issue with it (neither does my OB).  In reality, I just can never be too sure and I haven't had anything yet this pregnancy and had maybe 2 glasses total my first two pregnancies.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • @TheOtherJacobsons‌, love it!!! You're a girl after my own heart, vodka is my liquor of choice! I'm super hungry for French toast now, lol!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • I haven't yet and I probably won't. Giving up alcohol has been the hardest transition so far. (Humble brag?) I used to drink a few glasses of wine every night and now it's been over 11 weeks since my last drink. Yes, I'm keeping count. And it hurts.  

I would be willing to have a glass of wine, especially on my really bad days, but Hubz is 100% against it. I'm always tempted to steal a sip of his drink when he's not looking, but it's not worth the inevitable fight that would break out. 

It sometimes bothers me that he has such a strong opinion about my body, but it's his child too and the concern is legitimate and comes from a good place. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • I'm firmly in the occasional drinking is fine camp as well, though my husband and I do a MEAN fake drinking routine that has fooled even my friends who already know we're pregnant! (DH recently caught my friend's raised eyebrows as I ordered a second glass of wine out at dinner. He drinks most of each glass by just casually switching between my glass and his.) 

I have had a full beer once- when out with co-workers and it was impossible to not finish the beer. We're not sharing with most co-workers and friends until after the full anatomy scan, so, I'm doing a lot of fake drinking these days!

On a similar topic, I didn't do caffeine at all during the first trimester and mentioned something about it to my midwife. She was like, "You can have your coffee. Have your coffee." I almost kissed her!
  • Nicb13 said:
    pugmom11 said:
    The amount of toxins we ingest by food/drink/air/medications every single day is ridiculous, and in many cases unavoidable. Baby's liver ALSO needs to process those. Something fairly natural, such as wine, probably, in the end, does less harm than half of what many expectant mothers eat or drink.
    This. I don't see anything wrong with being fastidious in avoiding alcohol, but I'm curious about the other lifestyle habits of those who are very strict in avoiding it. Do you eat only whole foods and organic produce? Purge your home of cleaners and your yard of fertilizers and pesticides? Forgo new furniture and carpets and their out-gassing chemicals? Avoid all medications (even "safe" Tylenol, which is notorious for being processed in the liver, just like alcohol?)

For my part, I'd have a little glass of wine, but there's no way I'd eat a donut filled with hydrogenated oils and preservatives. I guess it comes down to personal comfort with individual risks. I trust the studies that show that mild alcohol consumption while pregnant is harmless (even beneficial!)

I see what you are getting at. Do you have any links to studies regarding consuming non-organic or chemical laden foods while pregnant and the possible outcomes to the baby? I see more regarding the consumption of alcohol but I'm sure there are studies out there about foods we eat too. There is a study for everything.

I realize that some of the additives and chemicals in the foods we eat or our environment aren't great for us and who knows, maybe this child will have problems when he/she is 12 because of something I ate while pregnant or gave him/her when they were a young child but I'm not willing to risk FAS or something just as awful by drinking a glass of wine here and there while pregnant, no matter what some studies say about it. I can certainly give up wine for 9 or so months even though I love it dearly.

And no, I don't take Tylenol or other medications while pregnant :)

Sure. Here's one on pesticide exposure from food and lawns lowering birth weights and shortening gestation: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/pesticides-pregnancy-babies-health_n_1406468.html

Here's one linking pregnant women's exposure to flame retardants in furniture to developmental delays in their kids: https://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/11/15/pbdes-and-neurodevelopmental-deficits/

Here's one that links dietary trans fats with increased risk of fetal loss: https://prod.obgyn.ubc.ca/Education/Residency/JournalClub/docs/Wilson_000.pdf

There's nasty stuff everywhere. A little traditionally-fermented alcohol doesn't scare me half as much as some of this other stuff. Nicb13, I don't take Tylenol either! Don't blame you!
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • I had about 6-8oz of beer around 12 weeks and 2oz of beer last weekend. It's usually a higher ABV brew, so I try to keep it to small amounts. DH is watching his girlish figure and has beer only once a week; when he does, I'll take a sip. Otherwise, my beloved beer collection will stay put til October!

• Following up on my comments - I don't eat entirely organic/avoid harsh cleaning products etc etc more than usual while pregnant. I try to cut down at all times on these things, but the truth is, those toxins are everywhere. They're very difficult to avoid in day-to-day life.

...but I also drink a cup of coffee (oh and sometimes half a cup more) every day while pregnant, but think artificial sweeteners in anything are the devil.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    EDD: 10/10/14
    Mommy to Jake, born 12/19/12
  • To celebrate my wedding nuptials yesterday I had 2 sips of red wine!

Congrats!
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • @tamibattle‌ Congratulations!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • irisheyes317irisheyes317 member
    edited April 2014
    Nicb13 said:

TaylorH84 said:

Well, I want to drink the water to keep from becoming dehydrated...and yes, I'd rather have a full stomach than drink on an empty one. So, to me, it does, but I saw that you made the decision to not at all so it wouldn't matter to you. @nicb31

Sure, having a full stomach and not being dehydrated is good for you but I was taking it as you meaning that it had some effect on the baby absorbing the alcohol. FYI, I can comment on this thread even if I don't partake in a glass of wine while pregnant.

-------- end quote

I'm late to the party here, but just wanted to add to the above. Drinking alcohol with food or on a full stomach will actually slow the rate that alcohol is absorbed and processed into your bloodstream.

I haven't been drinking at all so far this pregnancy, but I may have a small glass of wine here and there on a special occasion. When I do, it will definitely be with a meal.

Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • Diet coke was my drug of choice pre-pregnancy and yes there are many studies on how bad that is for you so I am sure for the baby as well.  Once I found out I was pregnant I went cold turkey and haven't had any since (that was 18 or so months ago).  I also have no self control so even though some caffeine is ok in pregnancy and you get from other places - I just can't go back.

I would have to imagine it was the same with alcohol/wine (but since I don't drink - flame away)! 

Ugh Diet Coke was also my drug of choice! I didn't drink alcohol before pregnancy, so that wasn't an issue for me, but giving up Diet Coke cold turkey was awful! In the end, it wasn't good for me and needed to happen anyway. So I guess I can thank LO for helping me kick the habit. : )
    28 years old. Married 5 years.
    DD born Oct 2014 via C-Section (footling breech)
    Baby #2 (AND #3...SURPRISE!) Due Nov 17, 2016. Found out it was twins at 18+5! 

• I love this thread. I've been wondering what other people are doing but been afraid to ask, I'm not sure why. We were on vacation this last week and the restaurant prices on St. John gave us total sticker shock. Bummer that the only inexpensive thing there is the alcohol! I was so bummed to have no run while there! I did have a couple of sips of whatever my husband ordered (beer and wine only) every night, but it was literally one or two sips. I think that I allowed myself a glass of I wine/week with DS and he's just fine. A little whiny, but I don't think I can blame that on hype alcohol, especially since he's 9 now! ;). I might have had a drink while on vacay if I hadn't been on antibiotics for this stupid mouth infection. I was wondering...does anyone else drink kombucha? That is fermented and I have been drinking them here and be there because the benefits are supposed to be really great, esp. when taking antibiotics (the probiotics in them). I forgot to ask my last appt but I will ask this weds when I have another check up. It supposedly contains small amounts of alcohol. Thoughts?
  • @Klavanga74 I've been avoiding kombucha because it seems to get recalled frequently. However, I just googled kombucha recalls, and it looks like that's mostly because of higher than expected alcohol content. 
  • I still have a can of diet coke with splenda (rather than the regular diet coke, no aspartame in the splenda one) once a day or every other day.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Thank you ladies!

DH: 33 ME: 33 married: 4/24/2014 FTM expecting a baby girl

• From what I've been told, a small glass here and there is ok.... But what do I know, I'm not a doctor!
    Pre-pregnancy I used to joke and say I was a wino. I belong to more wine clubs than normal, but living an hour away from 3 of California's major wine regions doesn't help. I thought I'd go crazy without wine while pregnant. I haven't craved it or been repulsed by the smell when my DH drinks it. I've tried a few sips here and there and it tastes HORRIBLE, like chemicals. I hope this changes after baby!! And sadly, the only alcohol that makes my mouth water lately is Coors Light - WTF?!?!?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Nicb13 said:
    Beer has sounded wonderful to me too lately and I normally hate beer...
    I went to bevmo and got some non-alcoholic beer. It was a wheat beer called Schneider Weisse and it wasn't bad. Not like a real beer, but it was nice to have when hanging out with my drinking buddies.

• Nicb13 said:
    Nicb13 said:
    Beer has sounded wonderful to me too lately and I normally hate beer...
    I went to bevmo and got some non-alcoholic beer. It was a wheat beer called Schneider Weisse and it wasn't bad. Not like a real beer, but it was nice to have when hanging out with my drinking buddies.
    I'm even hesitant to have an N/A beer :( Pathetic, I know.
    I hear ya. I just think it's so low that my liver will process it all. I don't think it's pathetic. It's just your comfort level. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"