October 2014 Moms

A little red wine

Has anyone else had a little bit of red wine out there ? I had a few sips tonight I read it's totally ok just wondering if anyone else has

Re: A little red wine

• I get hesitate but I've read it alright oh it never tastes so good
  • I have had a few sips a couple of times. I take a little more liberal approach to a bit of wine now and then after the first trimester.

• Loading the player...
  • Is the first trimester not recommended? I had a few sips then as well not much
  • I was having a ginger ale at my husbands birthday this past Saturday and someone put the cup next to mine and I drank it accidentally. It was a gin and tonic! I only took a sip and it was watered down but I freaked out for a second.
  • I dreamed about a really big glass of wine last night! Does that count?
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yup! I've sipped from my husband's glass a couple of times. I work at a winery, so sometimes smelling a full-bodied red makes my mouth water. :)
  • I've had a couple of glasses of wine over the last couple of months.  And sips of DH or friends' cocktails or beers here and there whenever they have something that sounds good.
  • I have had some wine here and there and take sips of DH beers or whatever he is drinking. I also take a liberal approach to a bit of wine now and then. The studies that have been coming out lately have really been pointing to light drinking being completely fine. 
     image image
  • I had a small glass a week ago with my father when he came to visit, it was amazing! I'll continue to have a few small glasses here and there throughout pregnancy. 
  • Had half a glass of Bordeaux rose two weeks ago. It was mind blowing.

imageimageimage
  • I drink a little of DH's beers every week or so. He hasn't had any wine since he'd have to drink it all himself but when he cracks one open, I would drink a little of that too.
  • yella726 said:
    Yup! I've sipped from my husband's glass a couple of times. I work at a winery, so sometimes smelling a full-bodied red makes my mouth water. :)
    Oh I would LOVE to work at a winery! Lucky you!

Married July 2006

MC Feb 2009 8 weeks

MC Dec 2009 8 weeks

MC Oct 2013 8 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have had a glass here and there. I believe it's totally fine.
  • I feel like just a few sips or even half a glass would be too much of a tease for me. I think I'm going to hold out for the long run.
  • MrsL2B said:
    I feel like just a few sips or even half a glass would be too much of a tease for me. I think I'm going to hold out for the long run.
    THIS! Completely THIS!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• I had a sip of DH's strawberry beer on Easter since we were at a local brewery's restaurant.  It tasted good but the sip was all I needed.  DH does not drink wine so I haven't had any since the BFP.  I did buy one of those frozen Bacardi Pina Colada mixers the other day so I can make me a virgin drink at the house to help me satisfy my daiquiri craving!
  • I have ordered a glass of wine and a beer when I was trying to cover the pregnancy up but only drank half. I read a small amount is absolutely fine but my stomach did not take it well those 1st 2 times.
  • edited April 2014
    I haven't had any because I always want one more glass. I also haven't really missed wine (the smell was horrible when I had bad MS), but I don't like red anyway. I'm a Chardonnay girl. I will probably hold off the whole time for the same reason as @MrsLB2.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Depends on who you ask on the 'is it ok or not'.
    I had a half glass of wine twice with DS, once around 26 and once around 35.
    For me personally, I wouldn't have more than a half glass once or twice a month.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    My midwife is firmly in the "occasional drinking is fine" camp and made a hard sell at my last appointment when my husband and I asked her about all things dietary.  She said when she has a patient who has trouble sleeping she'll recommend a small glass of wine over prescribing a pill.  She pointed out (as many people have) that the original studies were done with no regard to amount and that the real harm comes from binge drinking and/or alcoholism.

Personally I have had one small glass of wine so far, at home with my husband over a nice dinner.  If you are not comfortable drinking, don't.  But if you have a glass of wine every few weeks I think that is fine too.

ETA: words are hard.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think I would be okay with a half glass here and there, but the smell of wine had made me sick since my BFP.  :( So it's not really an issue.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • I miss my red wine!! I've worked so hard on not having any---I do believe the studies are right, but I feel like I would be the small percentage of what went wrong hahahah. That bottle of wine is what got me into this situation ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • TaylorH84TaylorH84 member
    edited April 2014
    I've had a glass here and there..not every night or even every week. When I have, I make sure it's with a meal and drink lots of water along with it. The last thing I read said a glass a night was perfectly fine. Then of course I read something that said "would you give your 2 yr old a glass of wine?" Good grief...that was more of a blog though and the 1 a day came from a dr.
    2013- 2 IVF cycles with PGD to prevent genetic disorder from being passed on. Both BFFN :(
    2/2014 pregnant!  EDD 10/17/2014

All always welcome! :)
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a few sips on Sunday for our Seder meal

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Well, I want to drink the water to keep from becoming dehydrated...and yes, I'd rather have a full stomach than drink on an empty one. So, to me, it does, but I saw that you made the decision to not at all so it wouldn't matter to you. @nicb31
    2013- 2 IVF cycles with PGD to prevent genetic disorder from being passed on. Both BFFN :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Before becoming pregnant I had no desire to drink wine. Now that I'm pregnant I really want to try some. Just a sip because it looks so good.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers                         

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Nicb13 said:
    TaylorH84 said:
    Well, I want to drink the water to keep from becoming dehydrated...and yes, I'd rather have a full stomach than drink on an empty one. So, to me, it does, but I saw that you made the decision to not at all so it wouldn't matter to you. @nicb31

Sure, having a full stomach and not being dehydrated is good for you but I was taking it as you meaning that it had some effect on the baby absorbing the alcohol. FYI, I can comment on this thread even if I don't partake in a glass of wine while pregnant.

I never implied you couldn't participate in the thread?? It's here for a variety of opinions. Nor did I say it had anything to do with the baby's absorption but thanks for your clarification.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had 2 glasses of wine this pregnancy
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • That's true I'm with you on that, the few sips I had I totally made sure my tummy was full with food or water it matters to me too
  • I'm not a drinker when I'm not pregnant so this is not a struggle for me.  My OB's office is firm about NO drinking while pregnant so I'm following her rules.  She may be extreme with some things, but she is looking out for my baby's best interest so I trust her.

DS #1  1/10/2004

DS #2  2/1/2006

EDD #3  10/5/2014

BabyFruit Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My OB firms believes in "everything in moderation" - including wine.

She is one of the best OBs in my city and has delivered TONs of healthy babies.

I have also read Emily Oster's book in which she claims the most reliable studies indicate that 1 glass of wine per day is fine, depending on how fast you drink it (only in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters).

That being said, before I got pregnant I LOVED wine (my entire family is obsessed - big collectors) and I haven't had any until this week when DH and I celebrated making it to 13 weeks with a french cooking class and a glass of really good red wine.

I don't plan on drinking it daily, but can see myself having a glass here and there through-out the rest of my pregnancy. 

I think it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. 
    Me (31) ~ DOR, Hashimoto's, Endometriosis 
    DH (33) ~ Perfect 
    Married December 2009
    MMC + D&C 05/31/2013 @ 9w5d - Girl with Monosomy

IVF Cycle #1 | Healthy Baby GIRL Born October 19th, 2014

SURPRISE BFP | Healthy Baby BOY Due December 16th 2015!!!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep..I'm saving most of it for when labor sets in though. :)
  • No, not one sip when pregnant. I can wait. My friend's daughter has FAS and it has been a nightmare for her as her daughter got older. Right now, her daughter is a ward of the state and in a group home because she was too threatening and destructive to her family. And my friend, she didn't drink a lot during pregnancy either..
    So, no matter what the studies say about it being OK, I don't believe they can know for sure. And I'm not risking putting my family thru what my friend has been thru.
  • Nicb13 said:
    anjb43 said:
    No, not one sip when pregnant. I can wait. My friend's daughter has FAS and it has been a nightmare for her as her daughter got older. Right now, her daughter is a ward of the state and in a group home because she was too threatening and destructive to her family. And my friend, she didn't drink a lot during pregnancy either..
    So, no matter what the studies say about it being OK, I don't believe they can know for sure. And I'm not risking putting my family thru what my friend has been thru.
    I think my friend with a FAS child is always in the back of my mind too. How truly awful for these children.
    It is terrible for them, and SO hard on the family. Friend's daughter is the oldest and their younger children have put up with so much abuse. The daughter used to go to respite care on weekends but eventually no one would take her anymore. And it was about a year ago (she's 16 now) that she had to go to the group home because it wasn't safe for the rest of the family for her to be there. Now she can visit on the weekends at home, but no overnights are allowed. It's terribly sad for her and the family :(

• I feel the same way about alcohol as I do about pot. There isn't conclusive evidence for either and t's less than 6 months away, I can wait. I also think that a glass every couple of weeks isn't occasional. In other news, it'll be about 6 months before I make another one of these. https://youtu.be/7WaLBR6Dj4M

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• pugmom11 said:
    The amount of toxins we ingest by food/drink/air/medications every single day is ridiculous, and in many cases unavoidable. Baby's liver ALSO needs to process those. Something fairly natural, such as wine, probably, in the end, does less harm than half of what many expectant mothers eat or drink.
    This. I don't see anything wrong with being fastidious in avoiding alcohol, but I'm curious about the other lifestyle habits of those who are very strict in avoiding it. Do you eat only whole foods and organic produce? Purge your home of cleaners and your yard of fertilizers and pesticides? Forgo new furniture and carpets and their out-gassing chemicals? Avoid all medications (even "safe" Tylenol, which is notorious for being processed in the liver, just like alcohol?)

For my part, I'd have a little glass of wine, but there's no way I'd eat a donut filled with hydrogenated oils and preservatives. I guess it comes down to personal comfort with individual risks. I trust the studies that show that mild alcohol consumption while pregnant is harmless (even beneficial!)
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • @TheOtherJacobsons‌, Thanks for sharing that was very entertaining & hilarious! I look forward to more of these in the future!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"