Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Omg omg omg !!! This cradle cap is making my 2 month old restless....

My 2 month old daughter has cradle cap...itchy, super flaky , spread to her eyebrows eyelids .... And today it's all over her body ( I guess) . Her stomach, back was never white and flaky before. Been using neutrogena T gel twice a week as recommended by her doc... But it only made things worse. Been rubbing her scalp with coconut oil for a week now ( also use it all over body as she's dry). But of no help.....how do I get rid of it ???? She'll be 3 in a week and still struggling with this. It gets in way of her feedings ( I nurse) always rubbing herself. :( Any remedies? Also should I wash her head separately and not in a tub while bathing her ... So she's not sitting in the cradle " crap "water?

Re: Omg omg omg !!! This cradle cap is making my 2 month old restless....

• Options
    Cradlecap usually isn't itchy. LO might be experiencing eczema, especially if red and itchy.
    It's also not contagious/doesn't spread from the bath water, so you're fine washing her head in the tub.
    Personally I wouldn't use t gel on her body - it would dry her skin out too much (which I think you're experiencing).

It can take quite awhile to clear up.
    If you use baby oil/coconut oil/olive oil on the scalp - let it absorb, you can then comb out a lot of the flakes which makes a big difference. We've been doing this once a week.

LO also a has fairly bad eczema on her right cheek that is very itchy - she keeps rubbing at it. we just keep using aveeno baby on it at every few hours.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Baby oil worked well for my son. Are you sure that's what it is? could be ezcema.

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

A daily bath with soap is what cleared my daughter's up.

Cradle cap is not infectious, it won't spread by sitting in water. It's caused by an over production of body oils.

• Options
    Our doctor recommended Sebulex for the cradle cap,(my baby had a mild case, but worried me) but I couldn't find it anywhere. I used the Mustella shampoo for newborns (even though my baby was like 6 weeks when she had the cradle cap) and still use it now for her, and it works great. I bought it at Babies R Us. She has no flakes anymore at all.
  • Options
    Are you wiping the coconut oil off? I was putting it on LO but wasn't rubbing it off and it was just getting worse.

I did some research and read not to leave it on, so one day I slathered it on, left on 15 mins, combed through with the soft bristled brush to get the flakes off then gave him a bath and washed his head. Then I washed his head two days later and it went away. I read that if you leave coconut oil or lotion on it makes it worse and contrary to what I would think, you're supposed to wash their scalp more, not less with cradle cap.
  • Options
    anniemck said:
    Our doctor recommended Sebulex for the cradle cap,(my baby had a mild case, but worried me) but I couldn't find it anywhere. I used the Mustella shampoo for newborns (even though my baby was like 6 weeks when she had the cradle cap) and still use it now for her, and it works great. I bought it at Babies R Us. She has no flakes anymore at all.
    My doc recommended sebulex for us too, after I tried all the other home remedies, mustella, etc.  It worked great. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"