April 2014 Moms
Options

Sedona Rose Birth Story (KelleAlward)

At 40w 3d I decided to try castor oil for the second time. After lots of pooing and regular non painful contractions I began to get regular, painful contractions. After an hour and a half of painful contractions we decided to head to the hospital. That drive was miserable! Our 45 min drive was extended due to a late night accident and I began to realize how painful labor truly is!

When we got to L & D they checked me and said despite the painful contractions I was only dialated to a 3, same as at my 40 week appointment 4 days earlier! I was in so much pain and have intense contractions every 3 min. I was miserable. They checked my urine and told me I was dehydrated, which might be contributing to the severity of the contractions without progress. They told me to go for a walk and take a hot shower and they would check me in a few hours. I was devastated because I was in so much pain I could barely handle it. We walked down the hall and I couldn't go any further, I was in too much pain to walk and began shaking uncontrollably. We returned to the room and I took a hot shower which provided surprising relief. I finally relaxed a bit and was able to deal with the pain. After some time the doctor came to check me again and I had progressed beyond a 4, so they checked me in .

After I was admitted they gave me an IV of some narcotic to deal with the pain. It was helpful but only lasted about 45 min and they would only be able to administer it 3 times during the delivery. About an hour after it wore off I decided to cave and get the epi. It was amazing, and turned out to be an invaluablly good decision. Throughout the night I labored painlessly and by 7am was fully dialated.

Around 7:45 we began pushing. My epi was placed very well so I still had feeling and control over my pushing. Well, it slowly became evident to me that my pushing was not proving very progressive, though the nurse tried not to put it that way. With every strong push I would ask her how much closer we were, but she informed me that it would take baby steps and she couldn't measure the progress with each push. After 2 hours different nurses and doctors began poking into the room, checking on the labor. At about 3 hours the primary doctor came in and told me that they were going to have me try some more aggressive positions despite my epidural. She told me that the baby was not moving down the birth canal quickly enough and she was worried I would exhaust my body before I could push her out. For over an hour after that a squatted for most pushes-I was so tired and in so much pain but determined not to have a c section. I can't believe how hard I was pushing, it seemed like it would hurt the baby. Slowly but surely I worked her out. All the nurses and docs were cheering and kept telling me how amazed they were that I was able to push so hard and for so long. It turned out baby was sunny side up, and I guess I also have a small birth canal. I had a large internal vaginal tear, no perineal tears! After baby was born I began shaking uncontrollably and crying from pain and exhaustion. I was so exhausted I couldn't think straight and could barely even pay attention to baby on my chest. I immediately begged the doctor to give me an IV painkiller so I could calm down and relax. After it was administered I was able to enjoy my beautiful new baby girl. They stitched my internal tear which took about a half hour and was no fun.

I was exhausted all day after the delivery and had to allow my hubby and parents to take care of baby. I could barely lift my arms to hold her. I fed her regularly and she nursed like a champ! She is such a doll. My hubby did such a great job taking over caring for her after she was born. He even did part of the skin to skin time immediately after birth. By evening I regained enough strength to help more with her care.

I'm bleeding lots so the nurses are monitoring that. My lady bits are SUPER swollen, and now I'm beginning to get lots or muscle soreness. Although my labor was tough I'm glad I was able to avoid c section. No one could have predicted that I would have so much trouble fitting her out, I'm 5' 10" and have wide hips.

Here are a few pics of my beautiful little lady

Re: Sedona Rose Birth Story (KelleAlward)

• Options
    Congratulations she is beautiful!
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Congrats... sounds like a long, tough process but you got that vaginal delivery you were hoping for despite all the challenges. Congrats!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"