April 2013 Moms

Lazy Eye

Anyone have a kid who has had a lazy eye or have any experiences with it? My DD may have a slight lazy eye and I just wanted to know others experiences. Thanks.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lazy Eye

• No help here but I'm wondering the same about my LO. Got an optometrist appointment in a few weeks
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did read that the earlier they get glasses the more likely it is to be corrected.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just noticed sometimes one of his eye lids is droopy. Its minor but is a sign of lazy eye. We are going to the optometrist to follow up on his heterochromia anyway, so I will bring this up then as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CanukMam said:

I just noticed sometimes one of his eye lids is droopy. Its minor but is a sign of lazy eye. We are going to the optometrist to follow up on his heterochromia anyway, so I will bring this up then as well.

I took my DD in when she was sick to a new office (we had moved) and the doctor said something like "oh does she have a little lazy eye?" I was sorta taken aback. I had my 3 yo and DD who were both so sick so I was just trying to get out of there alive. When I got home I looked at some of her pictures and she also (like you said) has a very slight droopy eye lid. At her 12 month appointment she did a few simple tests with the light reflection and said it was something that she would keep an eye on.

From what I have read it seems like lazy eye is more of a wandering eye whereas my DD more has a droopy eyelid. It does seem like it's maybe getting better or maybe I am getting used to it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Grace0609 said:

Usually a lazy eye when called that by a doctor is talking about turning in or out. They look at where the reflection of light hits the iris/pupil as they should be in the same spot on each eye or it means the eyes are not aligned properly. Now some kids will have a broad nasal bridge at this age that makes it sort of appear one eye is turning in but if you look at the light reflection they are lined up correctly. That is called pseudo strabismus and is a non issue. But if the lightvreflection is not lined up those kids should be seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist.

This sorta makes me feel like maybe it is not a lazy eye. The doctor who made the comment wasn't checking her eyes at the time. The doctor who I mentioned it to and who checked her eyes said the light reflected evenly but when she covered one eye and wiggled her fingers (technical tests here) on the side near one eye she looked and then she did it with the other side and she didn't really look. I guess it's hard to tell at this age whether she didn't really look because something is wrong with her eye or if she was just interested in something else. And then at times I have myself wondering if her eyes are just not exactly symmetrical so it looks like one is off. I am going to try to find a picture of her to post.

• I guess there is comfort is know that whatever it is (if anything), it's minor. I'll post back after my appointment in a few weeks!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sometimes I think they look normal (pic 2) then other times they look off to me (pic 1). That doctor's comment had me looking through all her pics driving myself crazy...
  • CanukMam said:

I guess there is comfort is know that whatever it is (if anything), it's minor. I'll post back after my appointment in a few weeks!

Yes, definitely comforting! I look forward to hearing what they say! :-) Good luck!
  • My son had one eye that would turn in for the past two weeks or so. He saw the eye doctor last week and his vision is actually very poor and he needs a very strong glasses prescription. It's hard to accept at first but the earlier you catch it, the better the chances it can be corrected. Good luck!

Anniversary

• We had a contractor in our house a few weeks back who informed me that MJ has a lazy eye... I had never noticed anything wrong.

I am not sure if I see anything, or maybe this guy was just nuts (and a little rude), but we will ask the doctor about it next week at his one year appointment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My younger brother has a lazy eye. It's not that bad unless he is really tired, and then it sort of goes all over the place. I know that the child can wear an eyepatch over the good eye for awhile to help strengthen and train the weaker eye, but my parents and brother decided not to go that route. IT really hasn't affected his life at all. I think most people don't even notice it unless they know him really well. If it's something you're concerned about correcting though, I think the sooner the better!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"