August 2014 Moms

Cord blood banking

edited April 2014 in August 2014 Moms
MH and I were talking about cord blood banking. We do not know enough about it...so I am bringing it hear. Have you done it? Will you do it? Opinions?

ETA
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Cord blood banking

• After all the reading we did last time, we decided to donate.

I don't remember all the details but the cost was high and the chance of actually using it was low.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • We didn't do it with DD and most likely wont with DS either.  It's crazy expensive.  I have been looking into donating it.  I didn't know that was an option with DD, but I would be willing to do that. 

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • zoegirlTX, you can donate at no cost? Would this mean you if your child ever needed it you could go back and get cord blood donation from someone else?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• High cost low yield
    May donate, not banking

• Cat&SCat&S member
    Agree with the others, high cost for not much chance of ever needing it. I would donate if anything, but hopefully we will have delayed cord clamping, so probably not.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• trawas01 said:

We are planning on delayed clamping so this is not an option for us.

We did this for DS and plan on doing it again with #2

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• We banked with DS 1. DH and I think of it as an insurance policy you hope to never use. There is constant research and studies being done on cord blood, and what can be done with it. I know the company we banked with even is using it for autism research. We will do it again with this LO.

BabyFruit Ticker

• We're looking into public donation, but won't bank (pay for) it.
    You can start the paperwork for donation around 28 weeks:
    https://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/Donate-cord-blood/How-to-donate-cord-blood/
  • I would like to donate, but no hospital in our area is equipped to as far as I can tell from my research.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• I did not know that delayed clamping meant banking was no longer an option.  Thank you ladies for that bit of info and helping to finalize our decision.
    Started TTGP July 2013  ~  BFP! 11/21/13  ~   TEAM PINK!!!  

**Josephine Aimee** born 5/21 at 29 weeks 2 days

You should know how great things were before you. Even so, they're better still today.  
    Now I can't think who I was before you ruined everything in the nicest way <3

image  image

imageimageimage

• We are also doing delayed cord clamping so not an option for us either!
  • We will be donating.
    Most of the families in our FD network have done it for the last few years.  We've had two kids within our work family saved by cord blood, so its a "big deal" here.

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

• Also did delayed clamping with DD and plan to with DS as well.
  • I had considered it with #1 but then I read in the literature that for a disease, a baby's own cord blood could not be used for him/herself.  It would more likely be beneficial if there was a sibling with a problem.  I am no scientist so I can't be quoted on this but it is what made me opt out.  We will be donating with #2
  • edited April 2014
    Thank you ladies. I did not know donating was an option. And if I am reading correctly then in the future if our LO needed cord blood, we could get it from a donation bank. Did not know what delayed clamping was but MH and I looked into it and will be discussing this with our doctor.

ETA
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Researched it too costly and too little chance of being able use personally. Donating :)
  • We are banking it. DH thinks it's important.
  • We researched it and decided on delayed clamping with DD and will do the same with DS.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• https://www.drgreene.com/ticc-tocc/

We will be doing delayed cord clamping otherwise known as optimal cord clamping.

TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • We banked with DD and will be doing it again. My baby sister died of leukemia, so we consider it an important safeguard.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • shaylagirlshaylagirl member
    edited April 2014
    Nevermind.  I should have read the entire thread. 

Thanks ladies for the info on donation!!  :)  That's the route I'm leaning towards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"