One & Done: Only child

Rough Day yesterday

I think most regulars know about DS and his aniexty issue. He is on a wait list for an assessment. Yesterday we ended up taking DS to emergency because of a panic attack at school :(. After a four hour wait and lots of invasive questioning they tell us there is no one on duty to see him and there is nothing they can do and they have no influence on the wait list. His regular counsellor says there is not much she can do to help, he needs an assessment and pysch doctor, not counselling, plus without the assessment it is difficult to do a proper treatment plan. Another private clinic told us they couldn't help for the same reason. I have calls to private doctors so waiting to hear back from them. I did call the hospital that is on the wait list with, unfornately I had a melt down on the phone. Totally not me if you know me. But they did say they would try and move him to the top of the list. So there's that. On the plus side I am better today after not having my shit together yesterday and DS seems to be better for now. So many issues I won't get into but just giving everyone an update. I may be MIA off and on as usual depending on what's happening with him but know I will be lurking around. Thanks for providing an outlet!

Re: Rough Day yesterday

• ((HUGS))  I had panic attacks as a child, and I can tell you that it gets so much better.

You are a GREAT mama for fighting for your son.  You are doing everything you can.  

If you took him to the ER in the throes of a panic attack, would they assess him on the spot?  I am not trying to "cheat" the system, I am just wondering if a medical professional saw him struggling, if the help could be more immediate?

• First of all Hugs to you and your DS anxiety and panic attacks are so difficult.

I'm sorry that there wasn't more the hospital could do. I feel like they should have done something more.

I hope the private doctors call you back soon and that you get some options for help. We are always here to be your outlet!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • meo34meo34 member
    No I actually agree with your approach. That is basically what we tried to do. Not really sure if it was cheating but we have been waiting now 2 months. So DH went to school right away and got him and took him there and I met them at the ER. But at this time he had calmed down. Pretty agitated but not having a panic attack. His trigger right now is germs and he had to go outside, its spring and so mess with garbage so he panics. He calls the car his bubble so once in there he calms down so kind of difficult to get them to see it in progress. We did describe it to them. We were hoping for an assessment on the spot. At least if we knew what we are dealing with owe could do reading and research ourselves and work with him at home. It is tricky because depending on the diagnosis there are different coping mechanism. ER doc asked if we were working on things at home, ummmm kind of hard without a diagnoses or support. That being said we are carefully trying some things to try and help.
  • Oh no-- your poor DS!  How old is he again?

I had panic attacks both as a child and an adult (thankfully haven't had one in a while, though) and they are terrifying.

You are doing exactly what you need to do for your son.  I am sorry there are some obstacles in your way, but please continue to be his advocate.  it will be worth it to get him th

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• meo34 said:
    No I actually agree with your approach. That is basically what we tried to do. Not really sure if it was cheating but we have been waiting now 2 months. So DH went to school right away and got him and took him there and I met them at the ER. But at this time he had calmed down. Pretty agitated but not having a panic attack. His trigger right now is germs and he had to go outside, its spring and so mess with garbage so he panics. He calls the car his bubble so once in there he calms down so kind of difficult to get them to see it in progress. We did describe it to them. We were hoping for an assessment on the spot. At least if we knew what we are dealing with owe could do reading and research ourselves and work with him at home. It is tricky because depending on the diagnosis there are different coping mechanism. ER doc asked if we were working on things at home, ummmm kind of hard without a diagnoses or support. That being said we are carefully trying some things to try and help.
    I am an idiot, for some reason I missed the part about the ER.  I am shocked they didn't have a psych doctor evaluate him on the spot.  I am so sorry.

I don't understand why things have to go SO FAR south in order to get help on the spot :(  You need help NOW.  Ugh.

• I'm sorry that you're going through this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I second what @lildis09 said.

* Internet Hugs* I hope it gets better for him. I've had panic attacks all through HS and still do but I am older so I know how to manage them and avoid getting one.

I remember the first time I had one. I was in HS and my mom took me to the ER and I couldn't breathe, I felt like I was dying and that I couldn't catch a breath. The receptionist told me "You're talking to me so you can obviously breathe". Ugh I wanted to reach across the desk and smack her.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• I'm so sorry you're going through this!  And I agree with @lildis09, it might be worth trying an ambulance if there's a next time before the help he needs is available?

• meo34meo34 member
    Thanks all. DS is eight. There is a history of mental health issues in the family so it is not totally foriegn to us. We are in Canada and although I am a huge proponent of public health care (not to start that debate with my U.S. friends :) ) there can be issues around wait times.
  • meo34meo34 member

I second what @lildis09 said.

* Internet Hugs* I hope it gets better for him. I've had panic attacks all through HS and still do but I am older so I know how to manage them and avoid getting one.

I remember the first time I had one. I was in HS and my mom took me to the ER and I couldn't breathe, I felt like I was dying and that I couldn't catch a breath. The receptionist told me "You're talking to me so you can obviously breathe". Ugh I wanted to reach across the desk and smack her.

Ugghhh. That is terrible. Mental illness is so misunderstood and such a taboo topic. Sorry she said that to you. If you have a broken leg it gets fixed, no one tells you to go on with your life and they'll give you an x-ray in 6 months. What a lot of people don't realize is that is just as diabilitating.
  • meo34 said:

I second what @lildis09 said.

Ugghhh. That is terrible. Mental illness is so misunderstood and such a taboo topic. Sorry she said that to you. If you have a broken leg it gets fixed, no one tells you to go on with your life and they'll give you an x-ray in 6 months. What a lot of people don't realize is that is just as diabilitating.

I know.

In most cases it can be more debilitating than a physical condition because the doctors cant see all the symptoms you're experiencing so getting help can and usually is much harder.

Its sad and I do hope it changes soon.

I really hope he gets an assessment soon. At least he has a good support system, that's very important.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Big hugs! Poor baby, and poor mama. :( Having dealt with some mental health issues myself it breaks my heart to know your little boy is dealing with this. I can't imagine how stressful it is for you! Hang in there, I hope you get some help soon.
  • Hugs. I'm so sorry your little guy is going through this and hope to hear good news soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"