December 2014 Moms
Options

Moms who use daycare

The daycare at H's work has a two year waiting list so I told him to put our name on it just in case something opens up.

In your experience, how far in advance did you need to start looking at daycares? This wasn't something I realized I'd have to think about so early!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moms who use daycare

• Options
    I had no idea I should be looking early... UH OH! I have no idea where they'll be going.  A couple friends of ours watch little ones during the day, and I'm wondering if we'll use one of them but I'm not sure.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic       Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think (hope) that I will be able to stay home eventually, but in the mean time we have friends from church who watch other people's kids. We would still pay them of course, but hopefully a bit less than daycare

BFP #1: 4/7/14, EDD: 12/16/14 -- Missed Miscarriage - D&C  on 5/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP #2: 10/24/14, EDD: 07/04/15 -- Chemical Pregnancy confirmed 10/27
    BFP #3: 11/28/14, EDD: 08/06/15 -- Strong heartbeat at 6 weeks, Missed Miscarriage - D&C on 1/9 at 10 weeks

rainbows
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    E is 2.5, he'll be starting on the 28th. H and I picked a center two weeks ago. We don't have to pick centers around here that early at all! A couple of weeks here and there. I will likely stick with this center once peanut is here.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies, I think I will start doing some research/making some phone calls. We're very new to the area we live in so I want to get an idea of cost anyway so we can start budgeting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My friend had her son in an awesome day home, and I found out she was pg again and would be off work (and taking her son out of daycare) just when I would be looking to put my DD in daycare. This was around summer time when DD was maybe 4-5 months old? In Canada we can take a year leave, so I wasn't looking to start daycare until she was 1. So, around 8 months ahead of time I started looking. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My mom was supposed to be our daycare but couldn't, so we started looking at daycare's after our DD was born.  Most of the ones we looked at just had a 3-10wk list, but we got her in at 12wks when I had to go back to work.

So happy with our daycare too and our DD loves it there!  She even likes to visit her old classes to hug her past teachers; so cute!  Our daycare is quite large and they run several classes (lack of a better word) based on age up to school.  She's in Toddler I now.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    i put myself on a list before my miscarriage last summer and never updated the center about my situation.  so i'm still on that list....

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• Options
    It's true that some places have long waiting lists because they've had a recent influx, or a loss of teachers, and need to keep certain ratios to stay in compliance with the state guidelines.  But for the most part, i don't think you need to fret about it too soon.

We didn't have child care fully nailed down for DD until I was almost through with my maternity leave.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    For centers where I live, the wait lists are crazy long. Same with excellent home daycare providers. We really lucked out with my daughter, though. My mom watched her for the first 5 months of her life, and while I was on maternity leave, I randomly came across an amazing home DCP who just by luck, had an opening when I needed it. Definitely meant to be. :)  My DD is in preschool now, but same home DCP will be watching new baby, for sure.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    roo1582 said:
    We started checking out centers when I was about 4 months along.  One of the centers was already booked up for the infant room at that point.  I don't think we'll have a problem with this baby, since they currently have plenty of room in our center.  Once I'm out of the first trimester, I plan on telling them to save us a spot. 

I would certainly start taking a look sooner rather than later.  Depending on the area you live in, some centers will fill up quickly and have waiting lists.  Plus, this will give you an opportunity to check out a bunch of places to find which one suits you and your family best.
    Thank you so much for this, I just got over an anxiety attack about money/my identity as a worker/ being a SAHM and decided I want to keep working at least part time if possible... looked into infant care in my town and found five good candidates, so I'm going to start calling right away.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We've been lucky and didn't have to put M in daycare until he was 2. By that point, the waiting list wasn't long at all, and he started one month after I registered him. We'll probably start A in daycare when she is 2, as well. 

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    RayRay007 said:
    My friend had her son in an awesome day home, and I found out she was pg again and would be off work (and taking her son out of daycare) just when I would be looking to put my DD in daycare. This was around summer time when DD was maybe 4-5 months old? In Canada we can take a year leave, so I wasn't looking to start daycare until she was 1. So, around 8 months ahead of time I started looking. 

I did not know this.  Gawd, the US has the worst maternity leave.  And by worst, I mean "no policy at all," since we don't have a formal policy. 

We plan to use daycare, though I would prefer to find an in-home option.  Waiting lists around here tend to be 6 months to 2 years, so we're going to tour a few places and get on lists after our first doctor appt.  Hoping we can get in one.  Even at the going rate of $400 a week around here, they tend to be more affordable than a nanny.  
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"