April 2014 Moms
Options

Childcare stress for during L&D

So we have friends to watch ds during the day when we go into the hospital for L&D. They have kids though, and can't come over at night if we have to go in at night, and ds will not sleep at someone else's house without us. We had someone all lined up for night time, but now she backed out, so I'm almost 39 weeks and I have no nighttime plan! I'm freaking out. I don't know who to ask. No family close enough, we don't know our neighbors that well, and all our good fiends have kids of their own or don't babysit.

I know I have to ask someone, probably from church, but I hate asking someone we are not super close to. I feel bad for both ds and whoever I ask. IDK. What did those of you with other kids do? I'm praying if labor starts at night I can hold off till 5am to go to the hospital, lol.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Childcare stress for during L&D

• Options
    We're lucky that my ILs live nearby, because I did go in at night.  What about seeing if just one parent from the people who can babysit during the day, can come over (and the other one would be at home with their kids)?  Or just send your son there at night- if he's tired enough maybe he'll fall asleep fine.  Are you friends with any parents from your son's daycare/preschool/whatever?
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He slept at his daycare/preschool teachers house. I'm not sure if she offered or we asked her. I don't know if that's an option for you but since she took care of him two days a week he was very comfortable with her already. She may have played down any sleep issues he had, but it was the best we could do at the time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I had to go in at 12am for preterm contractions, we transfered DS to his carseat and then took the entire carseat in to our friend's house. He actually stayed asleep in it another few hours and then was up and our friend just held/rocked him. DH was able to leave then because my contractions had spaced. Definitely not ideal, but good friends understand. Do you think you could take him to them?
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    My backup plan is to have DH take him with us and wait outside. I just can't think of leaving him. It is too bad they don't have a sibling room at the hospital.

• Options
    Does your church have a nursery with paid staff? During high school and college I worked at my church's nursery and I also got a ton of babysitting jobs through that church nursery job. When I was in college you could've hired me to do it. There are also full fledged adults that worked there too and I know you could've hired one of them to do it to. So you may ask whoever is in charge of your church nursery for referral if your church has some paid nursery employees in addition to their parent volunteers.

\image  image

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Our church is all volunteer, but I have thought of asking his nursery teachers from there to see if they are willing. We live close to the hospital, so dh can always run back to take ds to our friends house in the morning, I think I'll just try to find an emergency contact incase things happen in the total middle of the night. It's weird that I'm more worried about this than I am about giving birth

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You don't have a babysitter that you hire when you and husband go out huh? Maybe offer that person more than you typically would pay and have your daytime friends pick up kiddo at the appropriate time?
  • Options

You don't have a babysitter that you hire when you and husband go out huh? Maybe offer that person more than you typically would pay and have your daytime friends pick up kiddo at the appropriate time?

We use this one teenage girl, but she cannot babysit after 11pm, so that's a no go.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We use this one teenage girl, but she cannot babysit after 11pm, so that's a no go.
    Ahh I'm sorry about that. I keep forgetting that a lot of people turn to teenagers.
  • Options
    Kbmac said:

My backup plan is to have DH take him with us and wait outside. I just can't think of leaving him. It is too bad they don't have a sibling room at the hospital.

Just curious-- would your DH stay in the hall with your DS while you are giving birth or would someone meet you at the hospital to watch your DS?
    I think I would call someone to meet us. I'm really not sure how this will go, but my last labor was quick so there may not be a lot of time to drop DS somewhere -I just don't want to leave him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"