April 2014 Moms
Options

Breast milk & Formula.... help

LO does fine latching during the day. Now that my milk is coming in this is what we prefer obviously. However, in the wee hours of the morning she has these awful blood curdling screams and will refuse my breast but will take down a Similac Ready Made supplement bottle. Obviously I would rather her take my breast, but it is near impossible no matter if I change positions or what. She seems too upset to latch on. The Formula is the only thing to calm her down in the middle of the night. My husband and I are just so frustrated and want whats best for her.

Any suggestions out there??

-A very tired FTM
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast milk & Formula.... help

• Options
    I was going to suggest the same ^^^. Or feed her the formula for a few minutes to put a little something in her belly and then switch her to the breast.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs. If the time is consistent, try to get her up a little earlier before she gets to that point. If not then start with the formula and try switching her over to BFing.

• Options
    Agreed with the others. It sounds like she's waking already super hungry and too impatient for the slow flow of the breast. The formula is getting her instant satisfaction. I woild try both previously suggested methods ^^ wake before her to start nursing if she's consistent or switch from the formula to the breast once she's calmed back down a little.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    ^ great suggestions. If your not fond of feeding with formula could pump an oz or so during the day, and start that nighttime feeding with a bottle so she gets the faster flow and then switch to breast when she calms down and gets more patient. A cheap hand pump would be all you need since it'd be temporary. I'd be worried that waking her up every night would set a pattern that would make it more difficult to get her to sleep through the night later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Also you could pump and mix with formula...that's what my sister is doing right now because her baby (about 1 month old now) won't take her breast. That way you can still pump and give your LO your milk but still make sure there's adequate nutrition. 
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• Options
    DS sometimes has a harder time t night because my breast are fuller than durning the day and it makes it harder for DS to latch on. You could try pumping a few minutes before you latch her it would make your milk already there for her and your breasts softer.
  • Options
    We're having this problem too. I just bought a little manual pump a couple days ago and started pumping bottles for her for nighttime. She's still getting her bottle but with my milk instead of the formula. So far it's working pretty well.

• Options
    Silly question, but what exactly do you do at night?

Do you wait until she starts crying, or do you set an alarm for every few hours, then wake her up to feed?  Do you do a diaper change before or after feeding?  Do you try nursing in bed (either sitting up or side-lying) or do you sit in a chair/glider with a boppy or other BF pillow?   

I, personally, set an alarm and wake him up every 3 hours.  I diaper change first, then we sit down in the glider with the boppy.  It takes him a little longer to get a good latch because he's only sort of awake, but otherwise we try to make it just like his daytime feedings (when he latches just fine).   Sometimes different holds can make it harder for them to latch.  Also, I found that I need enough light to SEE him latch, but don't want it so bright that either of us wake up too much.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"