April 2014 Moms
Options

Pumping Methods

Those of you BF and pumping to build a supply, what are your plans/methods? Do you just pump your boobs 'dry' after each BF session, create an extra 'feeding' session for pumping throughout the day, etc?

I didn't really pump with DS1 so don't really know much. Any help is appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping Methods

• Options
    First time around, I'd pump after feeding if I still felt full in the morning, or my favorite trick was to feed on one side and pump the other- I would get so much more! If you have 3-4 weeks to build a stash then pumping 1-3oz extra oz per day should be plenty and won't put you into crazy oversupply territory.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    With DD1, I didn't really have a method.  She needed to be held a lot so I pumped any time someone else was around and could hold her.  With DD2, she's a pretty inconsistent nurser so I'm pumping whenever she has a bad nursing session.  Once we get into more of a routine, I'm going to pump in the mornings when I'm more full.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your best bet is usually to create an 'extra' feeding. If you pump more after each nursing session you'll get into over supply territory and LO will never get hind milk, which is the richer stuff. I wIll wait 4w and then add a pumping session about an hour after LOs first daytime nursing session. I did that last time and if worked wonderfully.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"