April 2014 Moms
Options

Labouring with a cold

Today I'm 38 weeks. Last Sunday I got hit with a bad cold. I thought it was getting better Thursday but on Friday night I started to have a hard time breathing. Through out the night it moved its way deeper and deeper into my chest. I spend the night in and out of a warm tub and on the bathroom floor, breathing in the humidity. I went to a clinic today and they gave me an inhaler. I'm to go back on Tuesday if I'm not better. I'm terrified that I will go into labour. A couple days ago I was praying for it but now it scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping for a home birth. Has anyone out there ever laboured while sick?

Re: Labouring with a cold

• Options
    My DH and I both had the same cold during my labor and hospital stay. Mine didn't sound as bad as yours- it just resulted in cough and stuffy, runny nose and didn't move into my chest- but it wasn't an issue at all. I told our nurses and doc, thinking they'd be concerned about the germs to baby, but nobody seemed to care. Hopefully you get to feeling better before LO comes, but if not, just be sure to mention it to your providers- maybe there's something they could give you while you're laboring to help you breathe better.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    MamaFantasticMamaFantastic member
    edited April 2014
    I had just gotten over the histamine/drippy portion of a bad cold when I went into labor this time. I spent the first week of Tessa's life blowing my nose like a maniac and draining out the nastiest snot I've ever seen. Labor itself wasn't an issue, but it was exhausting to be congested in those first postpartum hazy sleepless days. The FIRST night she actually slept and we got some sleep, I started to get better. The lack of sleep decimated my immune system and I had to rest before I could heal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was sick for 3 weeks before DS was born -- I actually had just finished a Z-pack the day before I was diagnosed with pre-e and had my CS. I still have a cough with mucus (although now it's clear so I think it's just being super stubborn since my immune system is down -- almost positive the real infection is gone). Obviously I didn't have to "labor" with the illness, but having a hacking cough with a stomach incision? YOW-OUCH.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Right there with you. 38w4d and on day 7 of this miserable cold. :(
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a major cold when I delivered DD2 last week.  The hospital didn't care.  I was more annoyed by it more than anything.  

• Options
    DS has had a cold and has been coughing like crazy for days. I was hoping LO would not arrive until after he got better. Well now he is feeling better but I woke up so stuffy this morning. I am not sure which is worse, but I am hoping I don't get the horrible hacking keep-you-up-all-night cough that DS had. That plus a newborn to care for would not be a good combination.

• Options
    I've posted this a few times but my DH shared a viral bronchitis bug i've been battling for 2 weeks now. Only thing that gives me relief is to put Vicks on my chest and steam myself for a long time in the shower. I'm using a saline-only nose spray to help keep the nasal congestion under control but the irritation in my chest will NOT go away and I cough all day. I'm not even hacking anything up. Inhaler just seemed to make it worse :(
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'm still off but on the mend. I actually had a good sleep last night (even with the 3 pee breaks). Im tuckered but can't help take advantage of this "nesting instinct" that just kicked in. FYI - I think you're all great :) Thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"