April 2014 Moms
Options

Experienced moms pls come in!

Mamas! I have an 8 day old and a 2.5 year old. My older son woke up sick yesterday - a hacking cough and running nose. I am so scared the baby will get sick. I don't have any family I can send him to visit so that's not an option. I try to teach him to cough the other way, don't touch baby, put hand sanitizer on him etc., but there is only so much I can do when we all live together! Plus he loves the baby so much, it breaks my heart!

What should I do? Are there any precautions I can take? And, if baby does catch it, how serious would it likely be? I'm scared!

TIA
BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Experienced moms pls come in!

• Options
    This happened in my house too- same ages. We worked really hard to keep DD1 covering her cough, washed her hands a lot and hoped for the best. If you're BFing it'll help because you're exposed to the germs too, so you'll have the antibodies and pass them on.

FX the little guy doesn't get it!
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Thanks...I am BFing so hopefully that helps! I've been pumping and giving to the older guy too. Number two sure comes with it's own set of new challenges!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister had a baby in February and her lo did catch something from her older one right off the bat, and it was pitiful but it was ok.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes if you have an older child it is almost inevitable...especially if the older child is in a daycare/school environment. My friends newborns/babies were sick constantly. I agree with the fact that breast feeding should help, along with being worn upright, lots of hand washing etc. as long as its just a cold it should be okay.
  • Options
    Same thing you're doing.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    I got a cold in the hospital and passed it on to my older two. The baby never got it I am sure due to me BFing.
  • Options
    I had a premie and soon after she got out of nicu we had to keep ds home from dc bc he was very very ill with a very bed cold. I did everything you are doing and I also had one of DH's shirts that I would slip on when I needed to pick ds up. The baby never did get sick.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    If it makes you feel a little better- once your older son was showing symptoms he had probably already exposed your younger one to the germs, so if he doesn't catch it, he is at least building some immunity.  That being said- my first son got bronchiolitis from my niece at a little under a month and it was awful, but we survived.  The worst part of a baby cold is keeping them hydrated and elevated so they can breathe. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    DemoDollDemoDoll member
    edited April 2014
    I don't have much advice but just wanted to say I know how you feel. DD2 is 11 days old and DD1 just went to the ER last night and is diagnosed with pneumonia. The doctor'is advice was to make sure DD1 isn't coughing on or at DD2 because the droplets she expels are contagious but that it's okay for her to be around DD2. Hope your LO feels better soon.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm set to have baby any day and my 2.5 year old has had a fever for 2 days now (on & off since we are medicating) so I know how you feel. I'm so worried he won't get to be around his baby sister & that breaks my heart.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"