April 2014 Moms
Options

Car Seat Question

We tried to install the infant car seat/base ourselves but can't seem to get it level. I want to get it installed professionally, but the next car seat install event in my area is on April 19 and I am having a c section on April 14. I noticed that you can use the infant car seat without the base by just strapping the seat belt over/through the top of the car seat. Does anyone know if this is a safer option than an unlevel base? Please don't flame this. I am just looking for the safest option until the 19th when I can have it professionally installed. Thank you. :)
happily married since 2009, SAHM
diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016

Re: Car Seat Question

• Options
    The safest install is the one that is most correct. If that means just strapping in the seat, that's fine. But I second what Swerb said, try a beach towel or pool noodle to get it level!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Also check your owners manual. Some cars are not designed to have any type of child seat installed in the center seat. Don't know if this might be your issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with what everyone else said already. When I'm cinching our base into the car, I physically sit on the base as I yank the tightening strap (we have a Chicco Keyfit 30) so the weight of my body helps me get a really tight installation.
  • Options
    Call your fire station or police dept. someone at one of those places should be certified and can help you rather than waiting for an official event.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the advice.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • Options
    Yes, go to the local police station or fire department, they should be able to check without an event or appt.
  • Options
    amhah09amhah09 member
    edited April 2014
    I'd look up a CPST in your area. Not all firemen and policemen are up to date on car seat installations.

ETA but agreed with using pool noodle or towel to get base level.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    Well I would call first to see! :)
  • Options
    I agree with the towel and noodle being safe from what I've read. I also agree that sitting or kneeling on the base may help to get it tight enought. But most of all we found out the hard way that the center of our car doesn't work by reading the car seat website and our cars manual. I never would have thought of it but DH did so agree you may want to research those both for tips while waiting! Good luck!
  • Options
    Which is safer?

Towel underneath to make a chair that fits the seat level?

Or one that sits level but overhangs an inch?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"