April 2014 Moms
Options

Strep b...anyone else?!

Just found out I'm positive:((( my ob said its nbd and I just need antibiotics prior to delivery... But I hear " start worrying the world is about to end". Very upset:( someone tell me it's ok!

Re: Strep b...anyone else?!

• Options
    I have it too and a lot of my PTs do. Not a big deal
  • Options
    Me too. No worries. Just one of those things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had it last time. Really truly no big deal.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just means antibiotics? And your babies were ok?
  • Options
    they found it in my test too! :( made me feel gross for some reason!
    I'm having a c section due to breeched baby...not sure if I'm gonna need the medicine still, forgot to ask my doc after labor plans changed to c-section!
  • Options
    It is really, truly NBD. Tons of people have it and have no idea. You don't want to transmit it to LO so they will give you IV antibiotics before delivery. When I had DS he was early and they had not tested it for me yet so they gave me the antibiotics as a precaution. You and your LO will be fine!!!

• Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    Yup, I have it too. It truly is NBD. In fact some home birth moms don't even bother with antibiotics. I'm def getting them though, just to be safe! Basically, it doesn't affect you in any way, they just give you some IV antibiotics during your labor to protect baby. My SIL had it too and her baby is totally healthy :)
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    Have it. Had IV antibiotics during labor. Also have IV fluids and pitocin so I didn't even notice. NBD at all.
  • Options
    A friend just had a VBAC at 42w with strep b+ and she and the baby did great!!

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    Me too---tested positive; reassured by Dr that it was nothing to stress about!!
  • Options
    I had it last time and this time did not! Was definitely not a big deal last time. You are being poked and prodded in so many places, you probably wouldn't even notice if you didn't know, honest!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had it with dd1 and am allergic to penicillin, even with that it was no problem- just got IV fluids with some other antibiotic. The only thing is that if your water breaks at home you should hustle to the hospital/center because they'll want to get the Meds started.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I've got it too. I was bummed. MW said to come in if my water breaks before labor starts and they will start me on IV antibiotics with a lock so I can move around and labor in the tub still.

Baby doesn't have to go on antibiotics after birth ( except in rare occasions )

• Options
    Had it last time and this time. It's really no big deal. Without antibiotics, babies have like a 1/400 chance of infection. With them, that drops to like 1/4000. So even w/o antibiotics, the chances of complications are low. But the antibiotics are easy to get when you're admitted and really don't affect how you'll give birth at all. And you can get them with a saline lock so that you don't have to be hooked up to the IV any longer than it takes to get the antibiotics.

• Options
    Just found out I had this too, so I'm happy to see that it's NBD according to experienced moms :)

Question - how long does the antibiotic take to go into you? I'm planning on laboring without meds/IV so I'm wondering how long I'll have the IV for the meds. 
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    Everybody has it.  It's endemic in your body.  It usually resides in your colon.  Just sometimes it finds it's way to the outside, and childbirth is the only time they care about that.  I tested positive also.  I'm just bummed I'm going to have to look at an IV in my arm.  That makes me queasy.
  • Options
    Have it too; no worries. It doesn't mean you're dirty or anything.
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Options
    The protocol for abx seems to vary a little place to place. At my last birth they wanted me to have four hours of abx and they wanted to time it so that was right before birth. If you get t and then labor for a lot more time they'll give them to you again.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And I had them and had an otherwise med free birth, labored in the tub, etc.
  • Options
    @CalinAZ‌ I should know this since I had the antibiotics last time, but when you're in labor, time gets all warpy and you're not sure if something took 3 minutes or an hour. I'd guess I was hooked up to the IV for ~15 minutes, but if someone told me it was actually 30 minutes or actually just 5 minutes, I'd believe them. It's not too long, that's all I remember.

• Options
    It's not a big deal but still good to get the antibiotics. My brother got a GBS infection when he was born and almost died. It wasn't standard procedure to test for it or give IV antibiotics back then so my mom didn't get treated. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are in the nicu with our little girl because I wasn't given the antibiotics and should've been (dr error, long story). But everyone here says as long as you get the meds your baby should be ok!
  • Options
    Had it and received antibiotics during labor.. As a PP said if ignored or not treated can result in serious issues for baby.. I received antibiotics every 4 hrs until I had my baby and because I knew the possibilities of what it can cause I was on top of checking with my nurse on giving me my next dose..
  • Options
    I also have it.y OB said 1 in 6 women are positive and that it is nothing
  • Options
    I was positive and it's really NBD. You get an IV during labour and delivery with antibiotics and they'll monitor your LO s temperature for sign of an infection after birth. That's it,
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    I had it with my first two, nbd. My doula recommended taking probiotics to keep it away with #3 and, lo and behold, I didn't have it this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"