December 2014 Moms
Options

How to politely decline "advice".

My best friend is pregnant too. I've been planning this pregnancy for over a year, done research like crazy, read baby books etc. Hers was a total surprise, found out a week before I did that she's two months along, but feels the need to give advice that I already know about. I've tried telling her I'm fully prepared, but she's not getting it. How to I nicely say shut up?

Re: How to politely decline "advice".

• Options
    You have to learn to master the smile and nod.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    i grappled with this one too, and as pp said, still do.  My favorite go-to "well, every baby is different so we're trying to stay open-minded about our options".  that shuts everyone up   :)
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PP said, this is just the beginning! I usually just did the smile and nod and "Oh okay". It used to really bother me especially when I was pregnant, but you get used to it. Most of the time people think they are trying to help you. Then you get the other people who are just idiots.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    I just nod and smile. Unless it's a really stupid comment and then they get a side eye.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    ZAP12ZAP12 member
    I just took it and then decided whether I wanted to follow their advice or not. There's really no way to get them to stop without being confrontational. Just say thank you and then decide for yourself.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If only there was a way to actually stop people from giving advice. Just shake your head, nod, and say thank you.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My best friend who has a 2 year old has been pissing me off! 

"You can't have coffee because if you have a miscarriage you'll blame yourself"
    "I hope you like rootes because you cant dye your hair"
    "You're really going to travel to Mexico next month while pregnant?"

DOES MY FUCKING LIFE NEED TO END BECAUSE THERE IS A BABY GROWING IN ME!?!

UHG! Ok so I get the coffee thing, my Dr did say I could have one cup a day, but the way she said it totally pissed me off. 

We didn't tell our parents yet but my MIL is the passive aggressive "oh are you sure you want to do that?" type... cant wait!!!!!!

Married 10-5-12 | TTC#1 10-5-13 | BFP 4-5-14 | Due 12-12-14
    First u/s 4-21-14, Baby G has a heartbeat! 112BPM
    Second u/s 5-1-14 140BPM | Third u/s 5-3-14 168BPM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the F#%! you were gonna do anyway." :D

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My sister had a baby 6 months ago and my family is always giving unsolicited advice. I am trying to find the nicest way to get them to stop before I tell them I'm prego.
  • Options
    I respond one of two ways, "Okay, thanks!" and nod. OR "Well actually,____." complete with my disagreeing statement. It depends on who's giving the advice and the content.

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    She told me not to buy What to Expect WhenYoure Expecting because her Dr. gave her a copy at her appointment, I told her I bought it two months ago when we started TTC, and said "oh, the doctor won't see you before 8 weeks" before I even called for an appointment. She actually asked if I had insurance... I've been planning this over a year!! I just want to be like, shut up! I know more than you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"