April 2014 Moms
Options

Perineal Stretching?

So, I gave DH a book my sister sent for him to read (called something like The Birthing Partner... I forget) awhile back.  Anyhoo, it talks a lot about perineal stretching and massage, and the positive effects it can have for warding off more serious perineal tears during labor or the need for episiotomies.  DH was sold and decided we needed to start trying it.  So here is my question for you:

If you're a STM or a MWOB, did you do any kind of perineal stretching or massage prior to labor?  Did it have any noticeable effect during labor?

Re: Perineal Stretching?

• Options
    I did nothing ahead of time. With dd1 my OB did massage as I pushed, and her massage probably hurt more than the pushing. I wound up with a 2nd degree tear.

again, no prep with dd2, no massage because it all happened too fast, agreed to an episiotomy, which is a much smaller cut than the tear from dd1.

to be fair, dd1 had 1lb9oz on DD2.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    My doc and the nurses both tried to manually stretch me and maneuver DS out without a tear or episiotomy, but unfortunately I tore anyway. In the moment I didn't feel it or care really. My OB said that i tore pretty much identically where my past episiotomy scar was.
    Tearing was just something I made my peace with ahead of time. :)

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    edited April 2014
    This is kind of something done a week or more in advance of labor (done daily to help with perineal elasticity) with the help of a partner (or by yourself).  Anyone do anything like that?

• Options
    My DH is reading that book. The "hook and pull" made me gag. Gonna skip it and hope for the best... :)

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Options
    HolljadeHolljade member
    edited April 2014
    The doc did the stretching right when I was about to push an during pushing. I had one tiny artificial and that's it- not sure if it helped or not but I'm guessing so? I tore with DD and not this time and the babies were close in weight.

Also I had an epi so I can't comment on the pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I did the stretching exercises for weeks before DD1 and it didn't help. Three stitches. This time I didn't bother out of laziness so fingers crossed for a smaller tear!

• Options
    @baileymama3 lol did it hurt to try or just sound bad news bears all together?

Thanks for your input ladies!
  • Options
    My MW told me she's seen it make a difference in patients, so we've been doing it. It's really not as weird as I thought it would be and I figure it can't hurt.
  • Options
    I had never heard of it until I had my daughter and my midwife did it during labor with oil or something. I was like whatever dude. It didn't hurt but I had an epidural and I had no tears at all. It was either because it worked or because she was 5lbs and my second baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My ob massaged and stretched during labor it was uncomfortable but I had an epidural so it was more awkward feeling then hurt. I needed 2 stitches have no idea what degree if any but the stitches were weird too just like an awkward poking.
  • Options
    my midwife gave me a handout about it and said it cant hurt to do it but there is no proof that it helps. Might as well try!

imageimageimage

• Options
    I've been wondering about this too....my childbirth instructor kept telling us we should do the perineal massage for weeks ahead of time & that it would help w/ tearing....  but I have not been good about doing it at all. Then a week ago my midwife told me she has seen no evidence that it helps to do that ahead of time.  Not sure who to believe, but at this point (past 41 weeks!) I guess it doesn't matter & I'll just wait & see!
  • Options
    smushi said:
    @baileymama3 lol did it hurt to try or just sound bad news bears all together?

Thanks for your input ladies!
    oh no...just hearing about it made me gag...we didn't try!!! but good luck if you do!

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Options
    I think giving yourself extra time to push and your personal elasticity probably has more to do with tearing than massage. Your cervix takes hours or sometimes days to stretch but the rest of your vagina doesn't get that kind of time to expand. That's a big head out of a small opening.... massage and stretching can't hurt to try though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"