February 2014 Moms
Options

Silent reflux question

Anyone have any home remedy tips for this?

I think my LO may have this. She has been screaming in pain for a few weeks...arches her back, hiccups all the time, coughs, chokes/gags on "nothing", etc

I have a doctor appt on the 22nd but I'm going to call tomorrow to try and up it. I just clued in today that this could be silent reflux. Just wondering if there are any over the counter or home remedies I can give for this? I'm planning on cutting caffeine and soy out of my diet to see if that makes a difference, plus sitting her upright for 20 mins after she eats.

Thanks!

Re: Silent reflux question

• Options
    if she's screaming in pain then it's not silent reflux. it's "silent" because they don't get upset when they spit up. I haven't heard of any home remedies but LO is on Zantac and it's made a huge difference!
  • Options
    Oh I thought the silent part was because they don't actually spit up...so it's silent in the sense that it's not obvious...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh I thought the silent part was because they don't actually spit up...so it's silent in the sense that it's not obvious...

I could be wrong but I could have sworn my pedi said the silent type is because they don't make noise. she said nothing will stop the spitting up but the medicine takes away the pain. DD still spits up but she doesn't make any noise because it doesn't hurt her anymore.
  • Options
    Hmm from what I've read they don't have to spit up to have this...because my LO has only spit up 3 times in her 10 weeks...but she often will gag on nothing or cough...which from what I read, is the silent part because you can't see the effect of it (spit up)...but maybe I'm way off.
  • Options

This is correct. They cry, yes, because they are in pain, but they do not spit up. The stomach contents reach high enough in the esophagus to cause pain, but then are swallowed again.

• Options
    The silent part is b/c the acid comes up but they immediately swallow it. So you don't see the spit up that you normally do with reflux. But yes they do scream in pain... In fact it hurts TWICE- once going up and again going down. DD has it and the only way I knew was what you described. She had wet burps where it sounded like she was about to spit up but never did. She arched her back when we held her ( but not while eating). She wanted to nurse constantly (it soothes their throat). She started refusing or fighting her bottles. She just fussed all the time. Zantac has helped. Not totally gone but definite improvement. Call your doc for a sick visit ASAP. I had reflux while pg and I swear that is the worst feeling! I would not want my baby suffering any longer than she had to.

• Options
    Another question...for keeping them upright after a feeding...for her last feed I nurse her to sleep...should I keep her up on my chest for 20 mins? Same as motn feeds as well?
  • Options

Another question...for keeping them upright after a feeding...for her last feed I nurse her to sleep...should I keep her up on my chest for 20 mins? Same as motn feeds as well?

For feedings try to feed her on an angle. Like she's almost sitting up while nursing. It's awkward at first but I've gotten used to it. For MOTN feeds I'd keep her up as long as possible, as close the 20 min you can get. It's not always possible, I know. But it does make a difference for DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How long will it take to notice a difference if I cut caffeine and soy (allergic to dairy myself) out of my diet? I read that can cause the reflux.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"