April 2014 Moms
Options

MWOB: frequency of baths?

Tessa is 12 days old and has only had 2 baths... one on the day she was born and one at 5 days old. Am I grody for not bathing her more regularly? How often are you giving baths?

Re: MWOB: frequency of baths?

• Options
    MamamonzoMamamonzo member
    edited April 2014
    Lucas has had 3 actual baths (4 weeks old) and he gets a sponge bath and hair wash every few days.

He's a dirt troll :D

ETA: my incision is still super sore, so that's part of my reasoning.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I haven't done one yet! He got one in the hospital and now he's 5 days old and I think we will do one tomorrow. I don't think babies get that dirty! Not compared to two year olds, lol! It seems so cold and shivery!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only bathed our first when she started to stink. Usually like spoiled breast milk!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's our rationale too... she doesn't spit up much, and she still smells so sweet and clean, so we kind of see no reason to soap her up. When she gets into that sweaty, sour-milk-caked-in-the-neck-folds stage we'll up the baths accordingly.
  • Options
    I'm every other or every three. She is a spit-up queen though, so I want to make sure all the milk is out of the folds in her neck.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    With our first, we gave her little sponge baths every other day until her umbilical stump came off and then it was every couple of days in the baby bathtub after that. The occasional wipe down is plenty for newborns! They're not crawling around or playing outside so they keep pretty baby fresh smelling.
  • Options
    Mine still hasn't had one and she's 11 days old. They gave her sponge baths in the NICU and then told us to wait to give her a real bath until her umbilical stump fell off (just last night!).

I'm not in any hurry to give her one, though. She gets wiped down with a washcloth every morning. She smells good and looks clean. She absolutely HATES being naked, so I might just wait until she gets a bit more fat on her bones to subject her to bath time. I have a hunch it's not going to go over well with my little Never-Nude.
  • Options
    Ellie is 8 days old and has had 2 sponge baths since we came home. Her skin is peeling pretty bad so I won't do another for a while.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Natalie is almost 4 days old and has only had the one bath at the hospital. We will probably bathe her tomorrow or Friday. At the hospital they told us about 2x a week was totally fine. They said the baby isn't up and moving around working up a sweat like we do so they don't need to bathe as often as us.
  • Options
    DS is almost 3 and has really dry skin and eczema.  We have never bathed him more than once a week unless he gets really dirty.  
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    We give sponge baths until the umbilical cord has fallen off and is completely healed. Sponge Baths every other day. :)

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Options
    LO is six days and we are doing every other day. The pediatrician told us to do a sponge bath every other day with a mild unscented lotion to follow. On the between days, I wipe him down with a head to toe ready to use wash cloth. He spits up a good bit and has runny diapers so I want to make sure he's really getting all those folds clean!
  • Options
    Only thing I would say is baths are a good way to have them stay awake a little longer during the day.;)
  • Options
    Going on 9 days and only 1 bath in the hospital. He isn't stinky and his stump is still attached so I'm not in any rush!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Only once or twice a week at this point.  If you bath them too often they can get cradle cap.

• Options
    Ellie is 8 days old and has had 2 sponge baths since we came home. Her skin is peeling pretty bad so I won't do another for a while.
    why are both our children the exact same?!

tessa had a LOT of dry crack-y skin at birth, and barely any vernix left.  in the past 2 weeks she has been systematically shedding her entire layer of outer skin, and she is a peeling disaster right now.  i keep putting my EMAB nipple butter on her hands and feet because the joints actually look like they're almost raw with how much she's peeling.  i feel terrible about it, but the nurses said there's nothing i can do but wait for that layer to slough off eventually.
  • Options
    She's six days old and has gotten three baths so far. I wouldn't have given her one of them but she threw up tons of amniotic fluid and colostrum all over herself so it was needed. I think from here on she'll get two a week and wipe downs daily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I sponge bathed ds about every 2-3 days until his stump fell off then bathed him about every 2-3 days and wiped him down the days in between. He wasn't a big Drooler or spit up much but some how formula would still run down giving him the stinky neck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"