March 2012 Moms

To buy a gift or not...

My SIL is ready to have their 2nd LO sometime this month. THIS whole pregnancy she has been moody and detached. I am not taking it personal.

However, my other SIL informed me that they joke about the gifts (clothing) they receive from my mother and I and donate them. 

SO being that I know this, I am thinking about just buying gift cards or an assortment of diapers as a gift. What do you think? I know not everyone has the same taste in baby clothing and they will just reuse everything they have from Big Sister.

What would you buy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage

Re: To buy a gift or not...

• Wow. You have some shitty SILs. Who says that? Anyway, I'd probably just go with a gift card and leave it at that. You never know what diaper brand preference people have.
  • I would go with a gift card or something personalized with the baby's name.  Or matching/coordinating shirts for the older sibling and new baby.  

I would also be tempted to make them squirm a bit by mentioning that you were at Goodwill or whatever thrift store you have in town and noticed a few outfits that looked just like what you gave niece for her birthday.  
  • Loading the player...
  • WipzWipz member
    ya'all are nicer than  me..I would send a card with a note inside explaining that you went ahead and made a donation to the charity shop in her name for the full purchase price of the stuff you would normally have bought for her.. that way they get the full amount donation instead of a measly resale price.  specially since you doubt very much she found anything  to her taste to buy at the store,

yes...I am .. A class A when it comes to bullsh#t like that 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah a gift card is about all they'd get from me. If that.
  • The joking about it to you is super, super mean and hurtful. But I donate more than half of the things that MIL gives me and DD so I understand it. I'm sure she suspects as much as she has never seen half her gifts to us. But the lady refuses to give gift cards even though, when asked, that is always what I say I want.

But anyway, a gift card sounds like the way to go as long as you know where she shops. Or you can be underhanded and give her a gift card to WM when she only shops Target or something.
    ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Bahha!! I love you all so much! I think you are right about the GCard. I will do that. I think I will ask my brother what brand of diapers they use that way my parents have a safe gift to give.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I am in support of everyone else and say a gift card. However, I laughed @wipz and really liked what she had to say.

Personally, my feelings would be hurt if I found out she joked about it with others. I will admit I have donated stuff dd got, but I would never be spiteful enough to tell others and joke about it. I say the gift card is more than ample. However, I would just buy some cookies or cupcakes, and save my money for someone a little more appreciative.
  • Why would she ever tell you that even if it were true? What a jerk thing to say.

• Donating things is one thing - not everyone's tastes are the same, I get that.  But joking about it is really mean.  That would make me not want to give anything because that just seems like an ungrateful attitude.  Probably just a card.  Maybe a savings bond so that you know it will go towards LO?
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Savings bonds are good with the excption that I think you have to have the kid's social security number, which was a pain for us to get for our niece. Maybe just get a book they don't already have?
  • krispy83krispy83 member
    edited April 2014
    I know that I gave a savings bond to my nephew without his SSN.. I think you can use either the recipient or the giver.  But that was a few years ago, things may have changed.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"