April 2014 Moms

Must read! Thoughts on BF that we WILL or DO relate to!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Must read! Thoughts on BF that we WILL or DO relate to!

• And don't forget to follow the links

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I LOVE the mantra. Thank you for this!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a great article. Thank you for sharing.  
  • Thank you for sharing this!
  • Thank you for sharing this. I struggled through my BF journey with my son and it took me months to realize that I was buying into the battleground instead of finding MY way that worked best for ME and MY child. In the end a combination of BF and formula was our perfect mix. I swore this time around that I would not put myself through the guilt route again. 

I am now 4 days into the lives of my precious twin girls. They were born a few weeks early, have such tiny little mouths and have both lost a little too much in regards to their birth weight. We are nursing, supplementing and pumping. It is exhausting. But liberating to feel that I know I can do whatever possible and whatever will be conducive to our family for the long run. 

Oh my sore sore sore nips.....
  • The massively ironic thing about that post is that I literally had a spreadsheet to keep track of how many oz of frozen milk I had available. OCD much? It worked for me because then I 'knew' when I could quit the pump and keep LO in milk, which mattered to me because BFing was blessedly easy, but pumping was my devil.

Love the article though, and it's so true that nobody should care. Nobody will ask in 10 years how your child was fed, if you had a vaginal, epi, med-free of c-sec birth. Won't matter then, doesn't really matter now so long as your child gets out of your belly and is fed, you're good.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Thank you for this!  As I am a FTM and my LO is still cooking - hopefully for not much longer - I am already starting to wonder if I can BF.  My mom struggled with all 4 of us and my grandma couldn't with my mom and aunt.  With a bestie who is "super mom" and was able to feed until 16 months with her first and is 8 months in on her 2nd, I worry how I will feel and be viewed if I can't BF past a week/month/3 months.  It's good to know others have those same fears, struggles, and doubts.  And to be reminded that as long as my baby is getting the nutrients it needs to grow, that's all the matters in the end. 
  • I was assaulted years ago and unfortunately as a result BFIng is a struggle for me mentally. The baby feeing and demanding it almost has made me feel victimized in the last. On top of major supply issues. I sought counselling before baby no.2 and ended up finding that exclusively pumping is the best thing for meZ it is creaking empowering!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ladies, thank you for sharing this piece and for your comments! It was very personal for me to write...I am still kind of shell shocked from the crazy anxiety and shame of BFing my first child. I've been much kinder to myself the second time around, but I talk to so many new mothers now and it is overwhelming to realize how many of us are struggling with these feelings. It doesn't help that some of the harshest judgment comes from other moms - I was kicked out of a FB BFing support group for asking for advice on how to wean my baby, because some in the group decided I was weaning too early! (I wrote about this, too: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jessica-shortall/weaning-baby-off-breastfeeding_b_5042253.html?utm_hp_ref=tw).

Glad support forums like this one exist. 

Best
    Jessica.
  • I was assaulted years ago and unfortunately as a result BFIng is a struggle for me mentally. The baby feeing and demanding it almost has made me feel victimized in the last. On top of major supply issues. I sought counselling before baby no.2 and ended up finding that exclusively pumping is the best thing for meZ it is creaking empowering!

Wow, I'm speechless. I never considered that sexual assault would be an issue in the case of breast feeding. I'm so sorry for your experience, I can understand how difficult that must be. If that's not confirmation that women need to ease up on each other about our choices I don't know what is.

• @jessicashortall‌ That is harsh! A stranger once chewed me out after seeing me feeding my child with a bottle of formula, telling me that she hopes I wisen up before I decide to bring more children into the world! I laugh about it now but at the time I had a really difficult time with the whole thing. I questioned my ability to raise my children correctly just because of that one little thing. What's funny is that only hippies breast fed their babies in our mothers generation, and you can still see that in people's reactions to women doing it in public. It's still " icky" to people. My grandmother wrote the recipe for formula that her dr had her feeding my dad in his baby book. I wish I could remember what it was exactly but it was sooooo strange. Just the most random things, i really don't know how babies survived really!

• And I get really stabby when I hear, "as suggested by...." I have a natural aversion to suggestions.

• @Ashleypixie‌ I needed to read this today more than anything else...THANK YOU for posting it!

( Sorry, I'm a serial lurker and you have no idea who I am :) )
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"