April 2014 Moms

for ones with outside babys.

edited April 2014 in April 2014 Moms
How are your other children handling the new baby? My DD has been a real handful since her brother has been home. I've been trying my best to include in on what I do with the baby and giving her spreate attention, but I feel like she's not getting as much as she use to and she's becoming a handful cause of it. I know this is a big change for her and I feel like she's freaking out. Any advice on calming her nerves and ways to feel more included then she is?

Edit for spelling

Re: for ones with outside babys.

• I let DD help in anyway she can. I hug her while feeding DS. I get the both down on the floor and we play. She's acted out a few times from jealousy but she's getting better every day. We're trying to establish a routine.We really over compensate her (verbally) when she does something well. Make her feel special and needed/wanted :)
  • My boys are doing wonderful with the baby, they are almost 4 and 2.5. My 4 year old is acting out in other ways, being excessively whinny, doesn't listen, throwing fits. It's so frustrating but I know it's a big adjustment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My boys are doing wonderful with the baby, they are almost 4 and 2.5. My 4 year old is acting out in other ways, being excessively whinny, doesn't listen, throwing fits. It's so frustrating but I know it's a big adjustment.

That's what my daughter is doing as well. It's becoming so so frustrating

Yes! This is DD, who is 3.5. Really she is acting like a 3 year old, but it is very frustrating, especially because I can't chase after her since I had a c-section. I try to just give her attention by herself, like today, we had a picnic on my bed, and watched Cinderella while the baby was napping. Plus we include her in taking care of her sister. She is really good with the baby, just acting out in other ways.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Mine's been extra clingy.  Granted he's only 21 months so he has no clue what just happened to his life, but I try to make sure I talk to him about what I'm doing with the baby or why she's sleeping.  He comes with me to change her diapers, I encourage him to "show" her the toy he's playing with.  I think it'll get easier once it really warms up and I can take him outside to play while wearing her.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He's had some emotional moments and is extra tired because I think her night wakings are disturbing his sleep. But on the whole, he's been great. He loves on her so much and she's the first thing he asks for in the morning when he gets up.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• DD is 3. She loves helping. I try to include her as much as I can. The 3 days I was in the hospital and 3 days after we got home were horrible. Now she gets whiny and throws tantrums but it's not as bad. The worst part of the day is bedtime, which used to be so easy. It's a big adjustment.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What @abbeylanecb‌ said... my 4 year old is challenging, but not more so than before baby arrived. He's just 4 and difficult. He's VERY sweet with his big sister, though :)
  • DD is 2 and AGGRESSIVELY loves her brother. She wants to hold him all the time and hold his hands and give him kisses and hugs. She has to be reminded a lot to be gentle, but she is so sweet with him. Only once has she acted directly jealous of him (I was holding him last night and she said MOMMY, PUT BRADY DOWN!).

The change is manifesting itself in her other behaviors though. Transitions that otherwise wouldn't be difficult for her all of a sudden are a huge ordeal. She melts down a lot easier. Etc, etc, etc. Part of it is her age and part of it is the transition, I'm sure. We try to give her loads of praise, explain things about the baby to her, and spend one-on-one time with her each day. And keep her schedule the same -- that's the biggest help!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • My daughter is a big mix of all of this right now. I just hope I can fix it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"