March 2014 Moms

how much spit up/vomit is too much?

Ok, FTM here-how much vomit/spit up is cause for concern? I know babies puke, etc. I don't think LO has vomited too much at this point-- on two separate occasions, after a few cluster feeds LO has projectiled a fair amount, not what I'd consider "spit up". Wardrobe changes for both of us. She's eating well, sleeping fairly well, no signs of being sick or ill. I'm just wondering what I should watch for to know if it becomes too much?

Re: how much spit up/vomit is too much?

• Does she seem uncomfortable when it happens (screaming, arching her back) or is she a happy puker? DD is a puker and has on occasion gotten herself, me (chin to cleavage) and her twin brother in one shot. Our GP says as long as she's not in pain (reflux) and is gaining weight and has enough wet/dirty diapers not to worry about it. She'll outgrow it when the muscle between the stomach and esophagus matures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good to know about the area that a certain amount covers. It did seem like a lot but it sounds like from what you've described its probably only a few ounces. I'm not concerned so much at this point, it seems like just an upset tummy or she ate more than she had room for. I'm just trying to be proactive and know what to watch for that might indicate it's something more serious.

@Jenstwins‌ she doesn't seem to be in pain. Both times it's happened in the evening amid cluster feeding, which makes me think it's get getting too full or maybe I need to burp her more.
  • Loading the player...
  • E has on 2 occasions vomited. And by vomited, I mean puked up her whole feeding.
    But she, both times, was calm and didn't cry before, during, or after. And E is a horrible burper, I try and try but she just doesn't and I think that's why she vomits.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We are currently having this issue and was called the pedi Thursday, Friday, and this morning. I have been pulling her off early to burp her, increased the amount of feedings and decreased feeding times. I also have an oversupply also, leading to her gulping and taking in a lot of air. She vomited (a couple ounces each time) 4x in 24 hours, then once per day until today :) The nurse said that if she soaks a bib then they would consider it vomiting. Sit the LO up for a half hour after feeding too. I also read an article that talks about changing a diaper before a feeding, instead of afterwards. Good luck. It's not fun.
  • Eli spits up/vomits every time. Sometimes it's just a little and other times it is projectile and I expect his head to spin around. We have tried burping and not burping, sitting upright after feeds, no jostling etc...it still happens. He is never upset about it and only cries when he is in the burping position and sticks his face back in it if I'm not quick enough. He is gaining weight and makes PLENTY of wet and poopy diapers. At this point I am just waiting for him to outgrow this phase.

My kid is a spitter.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO is only 4 days old, but is having spitting issues, and I'm a wreck. Our first pedi appointment is tomorrow, and I'm hoping she is gaining weight and checks out okay. I am sleeping awful at night listening for it, hoping I don't miss her choking, even though I've been told a few times that she will not choke. She is a terrible burper, or we are terrible at burping her I should say. What do y'all moms of spitty babies do/feel about nighttime?

• My LO is a spitter also!! We've done so much to try to decrease it. Next I'm going to change her formula again. It's crazy how much she spits up. Some feedings a lot worse than others. She doesn't seem bothered by it unless her face is in it. I have a real gassy/spitty girl I guess.
  • Sanibel21 said:

My LO is only 4 days old, but is having spitting issues, and I'm a wreck. Our first pedi appointment is tomorrow, and I'm hoping she is gaining weight and checks out okay. I am sleeping awful at night listening for it, hoping I don't miss her choking, even though I've been told a few times that she will not choke. She is a terrible burper, or we are terrible at burping her I should say. What do y'all moms of spitty babies do/feel about nighttime?

I try not to worry because they won't choke- I've seen her spit up while sleeping and she does just fine- turns head and it runs out. If it was her " exorcist" spit up that she sometimes does though I'm not sure what would happen ?
  • Thank you @BethRN1987‌. I think the more I hear others who are not worried, the less worried I'll be. I have actually gone to get her and she had spit without me knowing. And he was happy as a clam so that helped a little. Her first day of life she spit a lot of thick amniotic fluid mucous up and that seemed like it plugged her up. I have to remember breast milk is much thinner than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"