November 2014 Moms

Runners - heart rate monitors

Do/will/did you try to limit your heart rate during pregnancy?

My heart rate always stays crazy high when I run (high 100s to low 200s). This is normal for me (and for my twin sister) and my regular doctor hasn't been concerned since I'm otherwise healthy and don't have other risk factors. So now I'm trying to decide how I should limit hear rate during pregnancy. Should I limit to somewhere near my normal running rate or near the 'normal' exercise rates for people my age?

*obviously I will discuss this with my OB, but my first appt is a few weeks away and I was thinking about this during today's run.
A work in progress

MMC April 2014 at 6w2d, D&C at 9 weeks

MMC August 2014 at 9w1d, D&C at 12 weeks

CP October 2014

My Ovulation Chart

Re: Runners - heart rate monitors

• I teach spin and I'm the same as you, I easily get to 190-200 on a hard sprint in spin class.

So during my last pregnancy (when I taught until I gave birth ) and now I make my max be 180 (absolute max) but try to keep it no more than 175 even on a sprint.

My avg HR for class is somewhere around 150 usually. My m/w is glad that I continue to teach/workout and has me go by how I feel since this is what my degree is in and what I've worked in for a long time.
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Ok. Today I walked every time I got to 200, but it sounds like I need to back off a little more. It's going to be a slow 9 months ;)
    A work in progress

CP October 2014

My Ovulation Chart

• Loading the player...
  • wendyld said:
    Ok. Today I walked every time I got to 200, but it sounds like I need to back off a little more. It's going to be a slow 9 months ;)
    you'll adjust bit by bit, some days will feel great, some days, not so great, just go with you body and make sure you stay hydrated!
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• I'm not at all an expert on this, nor am I a doctor, but what my ND told me is that there aren't across the board rules and limits for heart rates. So, you have a higher than normal average but that's YOUR normal. There's no reason to compare your heart rate someone else's.

My heart rate follows an unusual pattern during exercise, but it's my normal, so I don't worry that I'm not following the same bell curve that most other people are.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • I'm glad I'm not alone. My heart rate runs high with running and spinning, I'm definitely considering a heart rate monitor to keep tabs while I work out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also teach Spin and run, which gets my HR up quite a bit, not to mention I sweat like a MoFo!! Just listen to your body and drink LOTS of water!!!:)
  • I agree that you can't really compare your heart rate to a standard # because its different for everyone. I am a Zumba instructor & my resting heart rate stays around 55-65, but during class, it stays between 160-200! I am not too concerned since my body is used to it, but I will definitely listen to my body & not overdo it! I actually didn't realize there was a rule about watching your heart rate with pregnancy. I will have to ask my doctor when I go Friday, but my gut tells me it's ok!
  • dbgwifedbgwife member
    edited April 2014
    My husband is buying me a heart rate monitor. I feel fine, and just listen to my body as I go. He's a bit more worried since it was mentioned at our first appointment. Anyone have a recommendation on one they prefer?
    IAmPregnant Ticker

DBG wife, Pre-Med student, and Scentsy Certified Consultant
  • Mine is the standard garmin model that pairs with my watch.
    A work in progress

CP October 2014

My Ovulation Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"