August 2014 Moms

Keepsake Gift for New Nephew

My SIL just had a baby today. I'm SO excited. She lives out of state, and we're visiting in two weeks. For her, we'll be cooking, cleaning and staying out of the way. For the new little boy we will be bringing a birthday card and some savings bonds, but I wanted to get him some sort of keepsake gift as well. When I was born my grandmother gave me gold & ruby jewelry (my birth stone). I've always cherished this jewelry, and even more so since she's passed. However, jewelry doesn't seem right for a boy. I want to give him a gift he'll cherish as an adult. (A watch maybe?)

Does anyone else have any ideas? Was there ever  gift like this that you received, or that you would enjoy receiving on behalf of your child?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Keepsake Gift for New Nephew

• I don't know about cherish as an adult, but my grandmother bought DD a sterling silver cup when she was born. She drinks her milk out of it some nights and has enjoyed playing with it since she was a baby.
  • I second the silver cup or other similar item. Those are pretty classic baby gifts. Another idea is a special wooden Noah's Ark (or non-religious toy) that he could keep and give to his children one day. There are some gorgeous ones on Etsy. I also like the blankets or wall hangings that are embroidered with the baby's name and birth statistics, if you want something less expensive or more simple.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought my god daughter a Tiffany rattle...

She's 8 now and still likes to get it down and look at it/play with it a little.  Someday she'll be able to give it to her firstborn.

• My grandma had given us all baby rings, boys or girls. Gold rings. On our sixteenth birthday she encorporated a design with the ring on a necklace. I wear mine almost every day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"