April 2014 Moms
Options

BF Advice

Since we all hear about how difficult BF can be I thought it might be helpful for us FTMs to get a little bit of advice from the moms who have btdt!
(Hope this isn't a duplicate thread, on mobile so searching is not friendly. If you know of a thread please feel free to link!)

STM+,
What was the hardest part about BF for you the first time?what is your biggest piece of advice? Or what do you wish someone had told you before you had your first? (Or even your second if you had different struggles the next time)

Thanks! Keep up your spirits ladies- We're in the home stretch!

Re: BF Advice

• Options
    There's a thread about latching issues not too far back with some tips.
  • Options
    I just felt totally out of my depth and had no idea what to do those first couple days with DD... holding her to my breast felt awkward, I wasn't sure where to put my hands and her body, etc, and when I asked the nurses for help they'd just latch her on for me without giving me a lot of instructions on how to do it myself. I luckily had my copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding with me and it saved my butt. There's great tips and pictures, and as soon as I discovered the laid back breastfeeding position (https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/some-ins-and-outs-laid-back-breastfeeding) I never had an issue again! 

So, the hardest part was just being inexperienced and lacking confidence. My biggest piece of advice is to bring a good book with you to the hospital and have a support system in place (access to a lactation consultant, attend La Leche League meetings, etc).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My nurses were really helpful. Be sure and ask when you can. I was surprised how drained I was and that both if my kids ate every 2 hours and it's not 2 hours from when you finish it's from when you start. Plus they did cluster feeding where they eat more often then that.
  • Options
    It does feel awkward at first! Just juggling the baby and the boob and everything. I remember being surprised it didn't feel more natural. Also don't be shy about shoving the baby on there, and make the most of the first hour or so after birth. Even if that just means snuggling skin to skin with baby near your nipple. Lots of things can be solved by stripping you and baby down to as few clothes as possible and snuggling in bed together.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't give up! It's the hardest thing to do. So many people get discouraged and worried about " oh are they getting enough?
    Yes your body knows what to do! If they have wet diapers you're fine.

Have small goals. If your getting upset just say one more day. I can do it. Give yourself weekly goals. When that week passes move to 2 weeks ect.

Start putting cream on now :)

You will probably go there 2 weeks of toe curling pain for the first 30 sec. It's normal. It will pass

Make sure you have a support system !! Dh should be there to support and cheer you on. If not find someone somewhere

Don't be scared to ask for help :)
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"