December 2013 Moms
Options

Camping gear recommendations?

Is anyone here into camping? DS1 (4 yrs. old) has been wanting to go camping, and we were thinking about trying it this summer. We want to invest in some nice camping gear (e.g., tents and sleeping bags) that will last us for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations for good brands? I'm not really sure where to start.

If we go camping, we'll go to a campground that has amenities like bathrooms and probably a pool/beach. I'm on the fence about whether to take the baby. Part of me thinks this year will be a lot easier to take him, since he won't be mobile and the other part of me thinks the idea of taking a baby camping is crazy. We do potentially have the option to keep him with the grandparents, so that may work out better. We'll also likely do some backyard camping before going to a campground. Has anyone gone camping with a baby? He's a good sleeper, but am I being crazy to even consider it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Camping gear recommendations?

• Options
    We're definitely planning on going a lot this summer. I figure it will be way easier now than when LO is mobile!
    We just plan on bringing the PnP.
    As far as good brands for camping gear, I'm not an expert.. But do you have an REI where you live? They have a ton of nice outdoor sport/camping gear.

• Options

But do you have an REI where you live? They have a ton of nice outdoor sport/camping gear.

This. I'm not big on camping, but I was going to chime in and recommend that if you're looking for nicer gear, check out a specialty place like REI (instead of Meijer, Target, etc).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the north face because i'm an elitist.  
    You would fit in very well up here.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm not sure whether we have an REI, but we have an Eastern Mountain Sports. That's similar, right?

• Options
    We took LO camping over spring break and it wasn't bad. But we have a trailer :)
  • Options
    EMS is better, IMO. Their house brand is great and a lot cheaper.  Invest in a good, big tent -- that would be where I'd spend the money. We have like four tents because a tent you'd use for car camping is different than one you'd pack for a back country trip. Go to EMS, talk to any salesperson and tell them what kind of camping you're doing.  They're all super outdoors enthusiasts and will be really helpful.

I'm not sure what region you're planning on going to, but KOAs in the northeast are super family friendly and are close to lots of state parks where you can do more remote activities.  It's a step more rugged than, say, pitching a tent in the backyard.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    We would probably go to a campground in the White Mountains of NH, if we went. I would go to a campground with a lot of amenities, especially at first.

• Options
    I would say LL Bean or EMS if your looking for high quality stuff. I like the lifetime guarantee on LL Bean stuff but it's quite pricy. I'm hoping to camp with the kids this summer and we also will be looking to update our gear.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • Options
    Coleman is a good brand for lanterns, portable stoves, propane and many other things.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! And I'm sort of surprised for all the support about taking a baby camping. I expected everyone to say it was crazy talk!

• Options
    I second LL Bean, if your tent ever breaks or if you use it once and decide camping isn't for you, they will take it back or repair it no problem. There is an REI in Boston, and they will let you return it for a year. EMS does not have that kind of return policy. Stay away from cotton sleeping bags--if they get wet they will not keep you warm.
    We plan to do lots of camping with baby this summer...and we just bought a bigger tent too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"