July 2014 Moms

Anyone else still running?

I am still plodding along like a pack mule a few times a week and wanted to get some inspiration and motivation from any one else who is still running. So, if you're still running, tell me about it!

How often/how long are you running?

How are you feeling?

What's your tip o' the week to others?

What's your plan for the next 15ish weeks?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else still running?

• How often/how long are you running?
    3-4 times a week for 20-40 minutes at a time. No idea how far or how fast I'm running. 

How are you feeling?
    Actually pretty good at this point. My biggest issue is needing to pee all the time. I have been trying to run where I can make a pit stop if I need to.

I have a mental tally of the number of runs I have total left if I run three times a week for the next 15 weeks. I mentally check off a number after each run.

Slow and steady is my motto at this point. I'm trying to balance listening to my body with keeping myself accountable.

• I've got nothing to offer except you go girl. I've basically given it up, but I'm counting down the time until baby is out and I'm cleared to hit it again!

• Loading the player...
  • I had to stop after first tri per doctors orders (I have a short cervix and a cerclage placed at 14 weeks) soooo I'm not, but I want to say I give major props to you ladies who are. This weekend we had a friendly game of kickball in the yard with the kids and DH's friends and I thought I might lose my uterus running the bases!! Not a comfortable feeling at all!! I'm ready to get back at it after I birth this baby!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm running, sort of. I do 1.5 miles a few times a week at about 12:00 minute/mile pace. I can't do much more than that, and even that lately has been a little much for me. Trying to listen to my body and not push it too far.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • I wish.. Was running, until I got a cold in February, then got a root canal, then got busy, then my mom visited... So a month of excuses later and I try going for a run and got lower belly cramps :(

I took this as a sign to ease back into it, and have been on the elliptical instead. Hoping I can get back to my jogging routine soon.

Tip - push through the excuses and keep your activity level consistent!

Anybody else get these lower belly cramps?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get lower belly tightening (no pain), but not really cramps. I find that it goes away if I just slow down and concentrate on breathing deeply. If they are cramps that hurt, I'd probably stop and just walk.

Unrelated to your question, but I thought of something else as a tip - I have a Fitbit and I've found it to be great while pregnant. I don't focus on how I get my steps (could be walking, running, cleaning, chasing my kid etc) but I try to hit 10,000 steps each day. Keeps me accountable but helps me get out of the "running is the only choice for exercise" mentality I sometimes get.

About 3 times per week, 3-5 miles, sloooowly! Maybe 12+ min miles?
    How are you feeling?
    I feel good & lucky for that. And hungry- very very hungry.
    I also get that lower belly soreness after runs. Peeing is the biggest problem for me. I think half of Brooklyn has seen my ass by now.
    Go slowly and pee often. Balancing with pre-natal yoga once a week has helped me with stiffness.
    Enjoying the warmer weather and walk intervals if it gets too hard :)
  • I haven't run at all during this pregnancy, I was falsely under the impression that maybe running wasn't good for pregnant women, therefore I miss it a lot, I miss rigourous exercise generally. However I do try to walk a few times during the week.
  • I stopped running when the weather turned bad and now everything (including climbing stairs or you know, talking) winds me. I try to get out for walks (about 2 miles at a brisk pace) but can't manage more than that at the moment. 

I was training for a half before I found out I was pregnant. Boo to me.
  • I'm on bedrest so I can't exercise. I have a feeling this is going to be me after pregnancy.
  • Nope, this winter, work travel and a sick toddler screwed me. I plan to start walking again later this week once this round of mystery fevers breaks with my daughter. 

Tonight at midnight I'm signing up for my 1st PP half marathon Nov 23rd

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Hey Running Mamas-

Yup, I'm still running. I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow. I've been averaging 40 miles a week this pregnancy. I run 6 days a week, about 5-7 miles a day Mon-Fri, and a long run of 10-12 miles on Saturday.
    I feel great. My pace is about a minute/mile slower than pre-pregnancy, about 8:30/mile right now. I haven't had any issues other than having to stop to pee on any run over 5 miles.
    My tip would be to just take it one day/run at a time. It's great to set goals, but also be realistic and remember that each day is going to be different. There will be days that you feel like your "normal" running self, and days where you feel like a tired turtle.
    Plan for the next 13ish (hopefully less!) weeks: just to stay active. Hoping to run right up until delivery like I did with DS. He was 2.5 weeks early, which probably helped!

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• Nope, this winter, work travel and a sick toddler screwed me. I plan to start walking again later this week once this round of mystery fevers breaks with my daughter. 

I want to sign up for a PP half too!!

Can anyone give an estimate of how long of a recovery you will need before you will start training?

Also, @marathonmom823‌ - you are a freaking rock star.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • I wish I could exercise more. I would love to take DS out for walks, but I'm not supposed to be. Supposed to be "taking it easy." Grocery shopping is about all I can handle. ;) kudos to all you running mamas!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Where have all you people been on the healthy check-ins...hmm...???

image image
    4 xs a week for about 45 minutes or 4-ish miles. I'm starting to slow down!

How are you feeling?
    Okay. I'm getting more joint pain and the need to pee is getting kind of annoying. Overall not bad though.

Just get out there and make yourself do it. I'm always glad I did afterwards eve if I really didn't want to run beforehand. I've never regretted getting a workout in, only skipping them.

To just try to keep moving and listen to my body. If I need to slow down or walk more I will. As long as keep doing something I'm happy!
  • BPaws said:

@mrscurlygurl‌
    I am a sporadic bumper. I keep missing the healthy check ins it seems!!!! Are they on a specific day? I will try and be better!!

Every Monday :) I tried to get creative a couple weeks ago with the thread titles to lure more people in...

image image
  • I want to sign up for a PP half too!! Can anyone give an estimate of how long of a recovery you will need before you will start training? Also, @marathonmom823‌ - you are a freaking rock star.
    I started running again after five weeks with my son. I am not going to lie, it was NOT a fun return to running for me. It took me about six months to feel like myself again, but that may have been in large part due to not being super consistent about running at that point (I was probably running 2 times per week on average). I had an easy, vaginal delivery so I don't have any excuses there.

I did my first race about 16 months after my son was born, when I ran a half marathon. By then I was feeling totally back to normal. It took me about that long to get in my groove with balancing motherhood and running. I am anticipating it will take me about that long this time to figure out how to fit in working out with two little ones.

I think the first go round I just learned to be a bit gentle with myself about the whole process. I'm normally really rigid/disciplined about working out so it was a big adjustment to have to work around a little person's schedule. But if you're committed to returning, you'll get there, just don't make it something that stresses you out or kills your love of running.

• edited April 2014
    @csmith0085‌ Thanks! I had a fast uncomplicated L&D with DS. Started walking at 4 days PP, and running at 2 weeks. I ran easy, short distances (3-4 miles) every other day for a couple of weeks, adding in one day a week. I was back to 6 days/week around 7 weeks PP, if I remember right. I ran a 5K at 3 months PP.
    I was up to 8-9 miles for a long run by the time I went back to work at 10 weeks, but found that if I tried to go longer than that, my pelvis was really sore and I limped around the entire next day. Rather than push myself into an injury an risk NOT being able to run at all, I decided to take it slow and build gradually. It look me a year before my hips were happy with me going over 10-11 miles.
    I ran a half at 15 months post-baby, and a full at 21 moths. I had no issues while training for recovering from either race.

ETA: clarity

@mrscurlygurl‌ I didn't know there was a healthy Monday thread! Count me in ;). I post only from mobile.

• @mrscurlygurl‌ I've had the worst time actually finding the threads since you got creative with the names! I haven't ditched you I swear, I just can't find you!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga

I love this (and, I think the course you're running, minus the hill right before the finish line)!!  I'm trying to figure out whether to sign up for Lehigh Valley Half (just got the info in my email today)... it's 18 October and the course is hilly so I have some serious doubts as to my abilities since I haven't been running for most of the pregnancy (I'm assuming sporadic jogging does *not* count).  :)
  • BP607BP607 member
    I've been walking on the treadmill or outside on the nice days we have been getting.  Usually do 20-25 min on treadmill and then some weights or 2-3 miles outside.

I walked at least 2 miles/day until the day I had DS so I hope to keep that up, I'm looking forward to the warmer days so I can do more walking outside.  I plan to start working through lunch and picking DS up early and hitting up the trail before dinner, I can't wait!

I have a jawbone which helps me keep track of my steps as well.  
  • @Dserpaa and @kleMcK, it probably doesn't help that I've forgotten until like 10PM the last two weeks...I will try to be earlier next week...and tag y'all :)

image image
  • I've never been much of a runner (just can't get into it no matter how hard I try), but I've bumped my exercise regimen back up to just about my pre-pregnancy work-outs.  First trimester I barely did anything because I was too exhausted to even think about exercise.  Now that I feel a million times better, I've gotten back into a routine.  I try to constantly mix things up so I do a variety of workouts throughout the week which usually vary between spinning, rowing, elliptical, free weights, BodyPump classes, swimming, and kickboxing.  I've had to make some modifications as I get bigger, but find that I can tolerate exercise almost near as well as before I was pregnant.  Keep up the good work, ladies!
  • At least 3-4 times/wk. the temps are still going from warm to cold so some days it's on my elliptical some days it's outside. I range from 30-60mins. I don't keep track of how fast I am...my jog is probably like someone else's speed walk. So far I feel good. I start out hating my decision but midway I start getting my mojo back! I have a 5k on April 26th and a wedding I'm in during Memorial Day weekend! That's what's keeping me accountable! Plus, i know if I'm active throughout I can become active sooner after and with a toddler who loves being outside I have to stay active! I plan to keep up with the 3-4 times/ wk plus I do resistance training 2 days/ wk!
  • ajhambajhamb member
    edited April 2014
    Seriously, @marathonmom823, you are an inspiration!

I don't know about the rest of you, but some days I feel like I've never had to work so hard to go so slow...

Pre-preg, I was a 7:30-8:30 half-marathoner. During first trimester, I got out of breath very easily, so ended up running at a 10 pace and feeling like a slug, but now things are much more peachy.

Also, reading the Runner's World Guide to Running and Pregnancy made me feel better about running (b/c some more cautious friends/family keep asking me if it's safe, etc).

How often/how long are you running?
    3-4 times/week, 3-6mi at an 8:15-8:45 pace. Ran my last half marathon at 17wks at an 8:40pace, and my last 5K race at 18wks at 7:20. No more races from here on out!

How are you feeling?
    SO MUCH BETTER. But knees are starting to ache a little from carrying extra weight. Running makes me feel like my normal self and I'm so glad that I still able to, even though I know I should start slowing things down soon. I'm no speed demon, but running fast makes the endorphins flow, and I can't help but speed up on my outdoor runs.

Chart your bathroom options out. On my last 6-miler, I had to stop at .5mi (yes, even though I had JUST peed before leaving the house) and again at 2.5mi. I may start peeing in the bushes behind neighbors homes.

Do whatever I can that keeps me healthy and happy. I know that soon, the extra weight is going to kill my knees and I'll be walking, but am hoping to hold out for another few months (23wks now). Soon, I may focus on elliptical, stairs, bike, and stationary rower at keep me going at the gym.
  • deedee830deedee830 member
    edited April 2014

I haven't run in months.  :(  First tri knocked me on my ass, second tri I didn't get back into it when I should have and now just getting up and walking around is difficult enough with the stiffness and soreness I've been feeling.

I miss it terribly.

I'm hoping to find a fun 5k run sometime in the fall to run, something like a colour run. No pressure to compete or get a time, but still a goal to work towards. Sadly, I think I may need to break C25K back out. :(

ETA: Just realized I'm in July14, and not June14. Sorry for crashing your party ladies. *backs away slowly*

Pregnancy Ticker

• Running has never been so difficult as it is right now. I worked out throughout the nausea during first tri, including a few runs a week, but now during second tri I feel even more tired. I'm guessing that I'm becoming anemic, because my legs feel tired after walking up stairs. I took two naps today, then did a 6 mile walk and felt surprisingly great afterwards tonight. I bought one of those support things for my belly that I use during runs, I think it helps a little to keep everything nice and tight, but I'm still going in slow motion 12+ minute miles. I keep going back and forth thinking running is good for me and I should keep it up to then thinking that it's just too much for my expanding body to handle right now. I really miss my old body and I hope I can get my fitness back after the baby is born. Meanwhile I plan to keep up the walking and maybe one slow-mo run a week.
  • @deedee830‌ no need to apologize! We're a friendly bunch here. Plus, it's always run to have another person to chat running with!

• Thanks @marathonmom823:)  Unfortunately there isn't much running going on to chat about. lol  Can't wait to get back to it.

Pregnancy Ticker

At 27 1/2 weeks, I am still running at least 3 times a week. I am coaching track too... So sometimes it's just the warm up and cool down with my kids. Otherwise it may just be 20 minutes.

How are you feeling?
    I feel like it should/could do more... But the pubic/hip pain is getting pretty bad in the evening.

Run when you can, walk when you need! It's better than nothing!

At this point, I think listening to my body is my only plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"