September 2014 Moms
Options

When and Where Will You Register?

So I'm a FTM, and I wandered into a baby store today, and walked out feeling completely overwhelmed. There's so many brands and the prices are crazy for some things (at this particular store). It made me want to go in hiding instead of feeling excited about researching all this stuff.

When do you all plan to start registering and which stores will you register at? Any must haves advice out there from those of you who have been through this before?

Re: When and Where Will You Register?

• Options
    I think everyone is different.  Im a FTM as well and my shower will probably be about 6 weeks my due date so I probably wont register for another 3 or so months.

We will probably register at Buy Buy Baby, Target and maybe Babies R Us
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    Last time I think we registered around 24 weeks. I will only be doing a registry for myself this time since I'm not having any showers as a STM. It's more so for a shopping list for myself (and completion coupons!)
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We'll be registering at Target (10% completion discount) and Walmart (DH gets an employee discount and it's one of the only stores nearby for us :( )  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With DS I registered at Babies R Us. If the store is overwhelming to you start online. It's great to start now and add as you think of things. Online you can read reviews & easily add or delete things as you think of them. 

Since this is my 2nd I won't have a shower, but I did start a registry for my own list of things I need, and they will give a 20% completion coupon once the EDD has past. 
  • Options
    I probably won't start registering until after we know what we're having, so another month and a half or so. However, there was a thread a few weeks back that had some great information about what stores some of the STM's liked/disliked and a lot of them gave information about some of the things they needed, didn't need, and wished they would've had. I can't find it right now, but I'll look later. It had some great advice! 
    Mr & Mrs 5/5/2012
    DH-28 Me-26
    Fur baby- Colt 
    Baby BOY due 9/24/2014

imageimageimage 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

Probably Target - maybe Babies R Us. We're staying away from specialty stores like Buy Buy Baby- those places are ridiculously overpriced and most people don't like going to places like that anyway. (Or at least I don't.)

• Options
    We registered at about 22 weeks last time. We chose Target but didn't have a good experience. I have a registry at Amazon this time around but it's more of a shopping list for myself, plus I want the completion discount.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A friend of mine recommended the book Baby Bargains: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-furniture-strollers-maternity/dp/1889392448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396295500&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+bargains

I haven't tried to find good deals on anything, but what I love is that they rate all the big brands and the different models of things. They also make recommendations about where you can cut corners and where you really can't (for safety's sake). They also tell you what things to not even bother buying. Because I'm a crazy researcher, I will use other sources too, but so far I've found this book to be super helpful and it is organized in a way that it makes clear what the priorities are. I'm a FTM, so maybe the book is way off, but the friend who recommended it has two babies and highly recommends it.
  • Options
    I'm 14 weeks and just started registering. I got a lot of advice from friends saying it can be time consuming and overwhelming. We did extensive research on car seats/stroller so we registered for those and some diapers. I plan to do it in bits and pieces
  • Options
    I think I registered starting around 20 weeks with DS at Babies r' Us and Target. This time I have an Amazon registry, but that is more just for myself and a completion coupon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We started our registry at BRU at about 14 weeks. The closest store to us is an hour away so we are doing it slow and steady. I also do a lot of research online and have added many items that way too.
  • Options
    We are going to start the registry after we know the sex (A/S is at 20w2d...so sometime shortly thereafter). We have family already telling us they want to buy some of our big ticket items so we need to figure those out at least. Plus I think it will be fun :) we are going to do babies r us and possibly amazon.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Squiddly said:
    A friend of mine recommended the book Baby Bargains: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-furniture-strollers-maternity/dp/1889392448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396295500&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+bargains

I haven't tried to find good deals on anything, but what I love is that they rate all the big brands and the different models of things. They also make recommendations about where you can cut corners and where you really can't (for safety's sake). They also tell you what things to not even bother buying. Because I'm a crazy researcher, I will use other sources too, but so far I've found this book to be super helpful and it is organized in a way that it makes clear what the priorities are. I'm a FTM, so maybe the book is way off, but the friend who recommended it has two babies and highly recommends it.

I just heard about this book and their website too. I think I will do this as well, because I am a researcher and want to make sure the products are safe. 
  • Options
    lmdonnel said:
    I probably won't start registering until after we know what we're having, so another month and a half or so. However, there was a thread a few weeks back that had some great information about what stores some of the STM's liked/disliked and a lot of them gave information about some of the things they needed, didn't need, and wished they would've had. I can't find it right now, but I'll look later. It had some great advice! 

If you can find that thread, be sure to let me know. I will check for it as well. Sounds like it has good advice! 
  • Options
    We are going to start our registry after our a/s next week. I am very lucky and my SIL (mother of 4) is going to go with DH and I because we're first time parents and completely overwhelmed by the whole thing! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby boy Files due 9.13.14!

• Options
    Whereas we haven't started the registry yet (prob do it in May after the a/s), I have made a list of everything we MAY need, based on various lists I've found online.  We've been able to cut out a couple of things we don't think we'll actually need (i.e. diaper warmer).  Whereas it looks like a lot, I think it'll help us get through the store faster.  We did something similar when we registered for our wedding last year (we also registered for everything at both places, then compared the items between stores and edited it at home online).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started a registry online at BBB a week or so ago. I've just been doing a little at a time as I research and talk to friends. There are some things that I will wait to register for until I can touch it...like travel systems, high chairs, etc. I'll probably wait to do that til around 20 something weeks.

I also started a registry at Target for diapers, lotions, books, and specific things that I didn't see on the BBB site.

I'm also waiting to register for clothes in person just b/c inventory changes so quickly.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    This is #2 for us so we're not registering, just stocking up on bulk supplies like wipes, laundry detergent, toilet paper, things that so it will make it easier once baby's here. With #1 we registered at babies r us and target since BRU can be quite a drive for some of our friends. We registered once we found out what we were having.
  • Options
    jmolrjmolr member
    I won't be registering this time around but for my last pregnancy I registered at 20 weeks at buy buy baby and babies r us.  If you have a BBB near you I highly recommend registering there over BRU.  The staff at BBB was really helpful and you can request to have a staff member walk around with you to help you register.  I also recommend purchasing the baby bargains book, I wouldn't have been able to register without it.  Do you have a friend that had a baby recently?  It's helpful If you can find someone to go with you that has already been through this
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm not having a shower, but am registering anyway for the completion bonuses. Since I t's just for us and close family who have already asked about it, we decided to register at several places based on what we like from each one. Probably BRU, BBB, and amazon... Still haven't decided 100% yet.

imageimage

• Options
    I have my a/s next week so if we find out the sex then I will probably start it. Target is the only choice I have which is fine because I love Target! I also have a coupon to get a $20 gift card when I start it... plan to use it on a crib mattress!

Married: 6/4/2005Start TTC early 2012 May 2013: PCOS Diagnosis August 2013: Uterine Septum Removal November 2013: 1st round clomid, ovidrel trigger December 2013: 2nd round clomid, ovidrel trigger, BFP!!! August 2014: Baby girl arrives! February 2016: Ready for #2 May 2016: starting again with clomid, ovidrel trigger June 2016:  BFP!!! EDD: 2/21/16

• Options
    Damasked said:

BRU is running an awesome deal that if you register by today, after your baby's born they send you a gift card for 10% of the amount that was purchased from your registry. That's why I opened a registry there, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble of dealing with them. When BRU changed inventory they spontaneously deleted half my registry with no warning. We're thinking of just sticking with Target.

Hmm...tempting. Does anyone know if you need to make a full registry by TODAY to qualify for this deal? Or could I start one today online, add an item or two, then go back and finish it later in a few weeks but have all items qualify (not just the ones added today)?

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    emmylu30emmylu30 member
    edited March 2014
    I think I started registering around 18 weeks my last pregnancy.  I went into BRU to start registering with my hubs and was completely overwhelmed with the huge suggested registry list and ended up leaving there with just a few items on it.  I found the website lucieslist.com and it really helped me to research the essentials.  I also found that the Amazon.com guided registry is helpful.  I put everything I wanted on my amazon.com registry and then also did registries online for BRU and Target comparing available items and prices at each store and taking things off amazon.com to get a good mix on the 3 registries although most higher priced stuff stayed on amazon since prices were so much cheaper.  This time I just have a private amazon.com registry to keep track of what I need for #2 and to get a completion discount. 
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Options
    Pottery Barn and Target. 

I already started both online, but both have like 3 things on them, and only because MIL has asked about some key items we want, so we figured we'd have them there, and then just add things when we find out we need or want specific things. We'll probably start adding more stuff after 20 weeks. 

I wouldn't do it too early because things will become unavailable as seasons change and their inventory shifts.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm not registering this time, but last time around we did Amazon and BRU.  I have friends who (like me) only shop online and love Amazon, and others who like to get stuff in person.  So with the BRU stuff I tried to pick things that they had in store and not just online.

I basically pulled up all the stuff I wanted on both sites, and registered each item with whichever site was cheaper.  I think I got more stuff from Amazon than BRU - lots of online shoppers in my life :)  My advice is, just consider your audience.  If you have a lot of friends/relatives who like to shop at brick and mortar stores, make your registry store-heavy.  If you have a lot of friends/relatives who prefer online shopping or who live out of town, I'd do more online options.

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
    Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mcstreppmcstrepp member
    edited March 2014
    I started a registry at Babies R Us because they have a deal going on if you start it by today you can get up to a $200 gift card back from purchases made.

I only have 3 things on it and will finish and add a second store in May.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Options
    I am also a FTM and just started my registry at Babies R Us. We don't have one close by (I think 1.5-2 hours away is the closest) but there are some near my family. Right now, I only have a few things on there, but it has been nice to have a place to slowly add things as I do the research. For example, everyone here was saying that the Ergo carriers are the way to go...did a bit of research myself...added to the registry. We are going to cloth diaper...been researching those pretty much since we got the BFP...found a brand of prefolds we feel will work best for us...added those to the registry.

I don't know if we will register anywhere else. It will probably depend on the research we do and where the products we feel will work best for our family are sold. 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Options
    We're doing Babies R Us and Amazon. Our Amazon list is slightly larger, but surprisingly with a lot of the items that both BRU and Amazon carried, BRU was cheaper.
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ConversationFear‌ BBB will price match other stores. Also, I've noticed several identical items actually cheaper at BBB than Target.

We heard friends were already excited and buying stuff when we were like 13 weeks. DH and I are kind of picky, so DH decided it was time to register ASAP. We did so at about 15 weeks, and to be fair, people have already been asking if we're registered. We are team green, so we had no reason to wait really.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We are planning on Baby's R Us and Target I think.  My shower is going to be at about 30 weeks due to the fact that I am traveling 12 hours away for it so I think we will start registering at around 20 weeks after we know what we are having.

We did make a trip to Baby's R Us a few weeks back to start looking.  We just took a pen and paper and marked down items we liked so we could look online, read reviews, get friends opinions etc before we actually go to register.  I feel much less overwhelmed by all of it now and I think the day we go register it will end up being more fun than a stressor since we did some leg work ahead of time.
  • Options
    We started our registry last week. We registered at BRU and Target.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    mytincmytinc member
    edited April 2014
    With DS we registered at Buy Buy Baby. I prefer their store layout over BRU. You can also sign up to receive coupons for 20% off one in store item through text or email. I had DH and my mom sign up as well and we collected enough coupons to get our crib, tall dresser, dresser/ changer combo, hutch/bookcase, and toddler bed rails all at 20% of. That sealed the deal for me.

Also, they accept Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    MBanoMBano member
    I've had a detailed list going for weeks now. I haven't registered yet bc I want to find out the sex first (April 9th) but as soon as I do, I'm going to register at buy buy baby and target :)
  • Options
    We're going with BRU and Target. We've been to look to get ideas for our registry and just to get ideas in general, but we won't register until after we have our A/S in May.

• Options
    I've had a Baby List for forever but I won't make it public until I've adjusted it when we find out the sex.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    We started our registries at BRU and Target a few weeks ago because of how far we are from our families. We are gonna add more stuff after today.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    Married 08/11/12 & TTC Since 10/13
    Previous Endo and Ovarian Cyst DX 
    March 2010: Lap. Surgery & D&C--removed 2 cysts 
    BFP: 12/20/2013 EDD: 09/03/2014 
    Travis Karel arrived on 08/21/2014 at 38w1d.
    BFP #2!  Travis is getting a sibling!
    EDD: 1/24/2017

Mama to my two furbabies Sam and Phoenix

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"